Welcome to the Age of Sigmar

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Welcome to the Age of Sigmar

Post by Daeron »

Welcome to the Age of Sigmar. With its imminent release and the quantity of leaks already displayed, we deemed it the right time to open a new Age of Sigmar forum for all discussion on the game.
Let the games begin!
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Makiwara
Shade

Re: Welcome to the Age of Sigmar

Post by Makiwara »

I must say that I like the background fluff I'm reading today; I like the 8 realms, nine with Chaos I suppose, I'm liking this quite a bit.

I'm still hoping for a larger rules system or expansion rather and some sort of force organisation/points value, but at this point I think there's going to be plenty of opportunities for fun conversions and story telling, just off the top of my head I think a mercenary group with units thematically linked to the different realms they access would be quite fun to do. I'm really thinking I must make that Dracoth mine for a conversion at the very least.

Of course this means I'll have to break down some already built models, but such is life.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
Vietnow
Cold One Knight

Post by Vietnow »

I do believe we are now "good" guys.

I'd like to know if factions within the 4 great alliances can co mingle. If so, this could actually be a blast from both a gaming and modeling perspective. I would actually get to use the small amount of models I have from other armies.

Can I use a lion chariot? Will I be able to field a phoenix? Evil druchi looking treeman? If this system is indeed fun to play, my modeling ideas (also budget) are going to expand greatly.

Man I hope this doesn't suck.
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

I think the Aelfs will all be in that nice state of neutrality the Asrai had that allows us to shank whoever we want, to start with at least.

That being said, two or three of the new Realms are built around the winds of Light, Life and Shadow; so Tyrion (already named in the fluff), Alarielle and Malekith. We could and probably will see very differing fluff for Aelf armies dependent on what Realm they come from, hell that might even unlock differing alliance options as things unfold.

The more I look at this stuff, the more excited I get to be honest. The only problem at this point is how I'm going to change and add things to my army whilst still retaining a common theme. Time will tell.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

Here come the elves! Or at least the forest spirits.

Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Makiwara wrote:Image

Here come the elves! Or at least the forest spirits.

A logical battle between the forces of life, that. Perhaps the Aelfs will turn the tide.

I'm officially excited, now. Already theorycrafting a new force (tentatively named the Blades of Night) and figuring out how to shoehorn my existing collection into it without over-stretching the idea, while leaving a bit of room for expansion.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

I'm pretty pumped too. Already in my group we have at least 15 people who normally play 40k who are at least going to try it out. Say half of those get hooked, and now we're looking at a group of like 25-30 who are playing AoS...that's going to be amazing.
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Angord
Slave on the Altar

Post by Angord »

Here come the Aelfs
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Vietnow wrote:I do believe we are now "good" guys.

We were always the good guys, we just didn't play nice... unlike the treacherous elves that claimed the throne for themselves and followed false kings. They were the true evil, masking themselves as "good guys".

Anyways, I find AoS to be a refreshing turn... it remains to see if it's a turn for the better or worse, but I am excited.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

As there already some fluff known about our new realm & lands ?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/ ... otted.html

This suggests we now live in Hysh, the Realm of Light and we joined the forces of Order.
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The only Elven race mentioned is called "Aelf". We're part of the forces of "Order". What realm we live in is less clear.... There's one realm for each wind of magic, and perhaps there could be three realms we walk on (Tyrion, Malekith, Alarielle). However, the only character that has been named yet is Tyrion, as far as I know.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Wouldnt surprise me to see us in the shadow realm to be honest.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Shadows, ruled by Mallie.
Light, ruled by Tyrion.
Life, ruled by Alarielle.
Strangely, former DE might have a tendency to join Shadows, former HE, Light, and former WE, Life.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

Rules are up:
HERE
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanks!
Who said AoS had no tactical subtlety?
Plenty to examine, yum!

And... The Fleetmaster has a use, finally! :D

See also:
HE: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources ... ves-en.pdf
WE: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources ... ves-en.pdf
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Plenty to digest. Still no balancing mechanism though which is the biggest shame.
Got worried about my peg riders for a moment there.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

And then you read this....

The Endless Dance: If you are dancingwhile rolling the dice for the Masque’sattacks in the combat phase, you can rerollany failed hit rolls. If, at any point, youcan coerce your opponent to join in, youcan re-roll any failed wound rolls as well

And

You can re-roll any failed hit rolls when attacking with a Thane so long as you have a bigger and more impressive beard than your opponent.

And

Helborg’s 
skill is as legendary as his moustache is 
magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit 
rolls when attacking with the Runefang 
so long as you have a bigger and more 
impressive moustache than your opponent.

Or

The Mad Count:
Marius Leitdorf is an 
exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally 
insane. If, during your hero phase, you 
pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you 
can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland 
Runefang until your next hero phase. If 
you actually talk to your imaginary horse 
you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.

Still finding more, but I will just leave these;

The Grail Vow: You can re-roll all failed
hit rolls for this unit if, before rolling the
dice, you hold aloft a grail or goblet and
shout ‘For the Lady’ in a heroic voice.

Everyone Has Their Price: If Greasus Goldtooth uses this ability, select an enemy unit anywhere on the battlefield and choose one of the effects listed below:
- The unit cannot move in its next turn.
- The unit cannot move, attack or cast spells in its next turn.
- All models in the unit immediately flee.
- The unit changes sides and immediately comes under your control.
Then, offer your opponent a bribe (this can be anything you want to offer). If your opponent accepts your bribe, the chosen effect takes place – otherwise, nothing happens. Players are free to haggle over the offered bribe, or propose a counter-offer...

Is GW just trolling now?
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

@Amboadine:

And check this out for Medusa:

Bloodwrack Stare: When making a
Bloodwrack Stare attack, pick a visible
unit within range and roll a dice for each
model in that unit; for each roll of 6 or
more that unit suffers a mortal wound as
they foolishly meet the Medusa’s deadly
gaze. You can add 1 to these dice rolls if,
between the time you declare the target of
the attack and time you roll the dice, your
opponent looks you directly in the eye.

:?
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

WTF?!!!
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Gidean wrote:WTF?!!!

Yeah...some of the rules seem iffy. How do you enforce them? " I looked you in the eye!!"", "Nuh uh!!". Do you use your tape measure to measure your opponents beard??

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

Does anyone know for definite if this is 9th edition or not? It seems absurd for it to be 9th, I'm kinda hoping this is the "skirmish game" that was rumoured...
"When it comes to besting the enemy, there's no such thing as 'overkill.'" - Good ol' Master Bronk

Also here's a PLOG: http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76272
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

It's very quite on the boards today I thought there would be a lot more chatter about the new release, instead it is deathly quite.

My brief read of the new rules and war scrolls has left me rather disappointed and confused.

Is this new game of warhammer in the same world as the old one or a completely new one? I gather it's a new realm - but it does not make sense having units with the same name / back story inhabiting it.

To me it's just one big mish mash of old and new fluff - I don't see how the new world can inherit the old history or is this just the same world, just a hundred years on? All very confusing.

GW would have been better off drawing a line in the sand and saying this is the old game and now here is the new / with totally new armies still to come....

I'm really annoyed that I have amassed this huge army over the years and can now not field it. It feels to me like the GFC just hit and the value of my models have been wiped off the board / they are no longer worth what I paid for them.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Or people continue playing 8th and your soon OOP models goes up in value! :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I think the quiet, is the stunned silence of all who cannot quite believe what has been released.
You can win this game by just bringing one or two models.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

I personally think that these rules and scrolls are just placeholders, and I'm sincerely hoping for a more serious game to be released in the coming few weeks (probably in the form of an "expansion"). These rather unspecific rules are great for playing around with the new mechanics, while waiting for the "real" release. Will probably look at a few YouTube reviews of AoS the coming days and then just wait for something more.