The Point of DE Warriors?

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

CAPTAINxDEE
Slave (off the Altar)

The Point of DE Warriors?

Post by CAPTAINxDEE »

By that I mean Dreadspears or Bleakswords. Other than $$ price. I have 20 Black Guard and 16 Executioners and I think I would field them every time. They didn't make the warriors enticing enough at all. This is Age of Sigmar where you should be able to field whatever you think looks cool, but to me it seems like you can't when there are just better options. Not sure why they were too careful when balancing the warriors.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: The Point of DE Warriors?

Post by Daeron »

In theory, balance is achieved during deployment. If balance is what you need. Your army of Executioners and Black Guards will still be stronger with those dreadspears than without them. If you are considering buying the models still, based on their in game performance, then their cost becomes relevant. What will perform best? 30 Executioners or roughly 50 dreadspears?

Model for model, the Executioners are better. But Dreadspears are still notable when played defensively and in a large number. If you can get their hit roll to 3+ or better, that's a lot of hits coming in.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Can't you just field all of them in AoS? There's no model or points restrictions, so why wouldn't you play with the execs, bg and warriors? If you and your opponent have imposed model limits, that's a different story, but you've adapted the rules and can't expect the core rule set to factor for that..:
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

CAPTAINxDEE wrote:Not sure why they were too careful when balancing the warriors.

That's probably because the rules weren't balanced at all. We'll probably have to wait for a Druchii-specific release before they're rebalanced. If ever.

In the meantime: if you think they look cool then play them. Your games will likely be more enjoyable that way!
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think the focus was to make each model feel right on the table. Balance aside. As far as I can tell, that had been achieved to quite an extent. The magic system doesn't feel entirely right in that respect, but it works.
Dreadspears do feel right: slightly above average stats, better in group, better in defense.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze