Counts As

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Counts As

Post by Shadowspite »

OK, so I have around 20 Khainite cultists/acolytes I converted up for my Cult of Khaine army years ago. At the time, they were intended to count as corsairs, since I needed a core unit that fitted the Khaine theme (sadly, witch elves were not core in those days). So they have (mostly) two hand weapons and hooded cloaks that I painted up with blessed/protective runes (to count as sea dragon cloaks).

Here's some examples of what they look like:

My army has since evolved into a black ark raiding force rather than a pure Khainite army, with loads of real corsair models, so there's no point in using these guys as corsairs any more. I also have loads of witch elves and crossbowmen. So, I was thinking of counting these models as Sisters of Slaughter now. That seems to make sense, since SoS are sort of similar to witches but slightly harder to kill (which fits with these models having some armour but not as much as regular DE warriors). The bladed buckler counterattack rule would be flavoured as the magic runes on the cloaks blasting the enemy for daring to strike the wearer.

The other possibility is to count them as executioners, since a few of them do have two-handed swords rather than additional hand weapons. And the hooded runecloaks do look like something an executioner might wear.

So, do you think counting these models as either SoS or executioners would be acceptable in an AoS game? In a WHFB game I'd have no compunction about doing that, because as long as I pay the points for an elite unit there's no advantage gained compared to using the 'official' minis for that unit. But AoS doesn't use points as a balancing mechanism, so I worry people might object to me using these (rather cheap!) conversions to represent elite troops who normally cost £3.50 per model.

Also, which (SoS or exies) would be a better addition to an army that's mostly composed of corsairs, witches and darkshards?
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Counts As

Post by Daeron »

"count as" isn't cheating as long as it's clear.
I think they would make excellent shades. But I wouldn't have any objection to see them employed as any unit that looks suitable. If they are sufficiently distinct from all other units on the table, then they could be played as SoS, I think.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I should have mentioned I already have a unit of shades, converted mostly from wood elf parts (plus rxbs), with a rather more feral look than these guys.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

My first thought was shades until I saw your second post. Neither I nor any of my gaming group would have the slightest problem as long as we knew what they're meant to be.

Sisters, executioners or bleakswords are all options.

If in doubt converse with your opponent before the game to make sure they know what's going on.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

The aim of the game is to win,
the point of the game is to have fun.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I doubt there would be a problem. You used GW bits. Its basicly, even if its out of the standard. Most of us have done likewise;

I have a unit of shades that are a mix of oldschool DE wariors and Wood Elf glade guard with corsair and even a little white high elf chariot mixed in. My bleak swords are entirly made up of high elf archers and what spare parts I had laying around.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Or you can switch to 9th ed, and all those problems disappear ;).
Also known as Kanadian