Orruks.....

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Orruks.....

Post by Amboadine »

So new pictures are up of the latests AoS releases.

This time it is Orcs, Orks, Orruks.

I kind of like the Maw Beast itself, not the rider though.

Very 40kesque release and wondering why all the Boars have beardz to make Dwarfs (Duardins) jealous.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/1110/683422.page
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: Orruks.....

Post by cultofkhaine »

hmm interesting next release - I don't know how to take it. Like you say they look very 40kish - perhaps its the yellow colour scheme. I think I need to see some more before I can decide on them.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Although I like them, they kind of remind me of World of Warcraft. Paint them red, and they might be mistaken for WoW minis.
That isn't bad necessarily... They had great orcs.

But I'll miss the more humourous touch from the old fantasy :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

As we've seen with the Fyreslayers, GW's sculptors have a hard time getting musculature right, so these heavily armoured Orcs come as no surprise. Just look at the terrible detail on the arms of that shaman of sorts in the last picture... ouch. Still, while I doubt they'll be bought for AoS much, they do look like a fun way to represent some of the more feral Ork tribes in 40k.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

At least there is a new option for MegaNobz conversions...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Rork wrote:At least there is a new option for MegaNobz conversions...

You could try and use Stormcast Eternals for that, should be a good laugh if nothing else.

It's Bubblehammer, and everyone gets a suit of power armour! And the Orc Shaman is holding up a pair of magical leeks! !lol!

Count them:

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Perhaps he is going for a job directly planes? :)
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Amboadine wrote:Perhaps he is going for a job directly planes? :)

Must be why he's painted up exactly like:

Count them:

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I don't hate them. Well, except for that godawful yellow colour scheme. But the last orc/ork model I bought was back in the 1990s and I still don't see myself going back to the greenskins any time soon.

Incidentally, I think the guy directing planes is supposed to be a warchanter, a sort of army musician analogous to an army battle standard bearer.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Giladis
Corsair

Post by Giladis »

I might get them depending how big they end for Chaos Once-Chosen conversions.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I love the new wyvern. Looks good enough I might just get it next pay check.

That said, why is there a space ork in Imperial Fist Armor? Wait, that's an orcy orc? Why is he in Imperial fist armor.

Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Giladis
Corsair

Post by Giladis »

Perspective vise that is a 60mm base. I have no idea how to fit that into a unit :D
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Saintofm wrote:That said, why is there a space ork in Imperial Fist Armor? Wait, that's an orcy orc? Why is he in Imperial fist armor.

That's not Imperial Fists armour. It's Bad Moon Orkz armour. ;)

Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

plain ugly :\
Also known as Kanadian
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

He looks out of place. As odd as this sound in a setting with steampunk dwarves, a steam punk tank, and lovecraftian horrors, this guy just looks out of place. His armor looks too advanced for a brutal savage as they are cartoonishly depicted.

I also have a feeling we are going to loose them as a comic relief army.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Killerk wrote:plain ugly :\

Orcs are supposed to be ugly. ;)

Saintofm wrote:He looks out of place. As odd as this sound in a setting with steampunk dwarves, a steam punk tank, and lovecraftian horrors, this guy just looks out of place. His armor looks too advanced for a brutal savage as they are cartoonishly depicted.

I think if he were painted with rusty bare metal armour rather than spotlessly clean bright yellow, he'd look fine. And who is to say that orcs have to be too primitive to make plate armour? The old black orcs wore some pieces of plate armour, so they were clearly capable of making the stuff. These new 'Ironjawz' just wear more of it. Maybe they have a bunch of enslaved human/dwarf miners digging up iron ore somewhere in Chamon?

I also have a feeling we are going to loose them as a comic relief army.

And thank Gork and Mork for that, say I. I always hated the over-the-top slapstick 'comic relief' elements of WHFB greenskins (and skaven for that matter). I get that it was necessary back when the rest of the setting was so unrelentingly grimdark, but the AoS setting is much more optimistic and hopeful, which means the slapstick comedy stuff can safely be dialed back.

(Although, bright yellow armour doesn't exactly scream "serious business" to me...)

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well, I kind of liked the old comic relief. But I'm guessing they inspired their fashion after WoW and craftsmanship after lord of the rings. They may be making crude armour, but it's enough to be effective.
And whatever decorations they have are either painted on, or tied on like skulls. As a whole, it works. It doesn't blend too well with the old fantasy style we all knew though :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Does it come in female armor, or are we still having A Sexual soccer hooligans?
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Saintofm wrote:Does it come in female armor, or are we still having A Sexual soccer hooligans?

GW has a big problem with gender. Being charitable, they're at least 20 years behind modern RPG companies like Wizards of the Coast and Paizo in their portrayal of female (and LGBT and non-White) characters. I'd personally love to see most of the AoS races/factions get female versions of the models, working towards roughly the same gender balance that the current wood elf and dark eldar ranges have, as well as many more strong female (and LGBT and non-White) characters in the fiction. But I'd still leave orcs/orks/orruks as asexually-reproducing fungus-people, since for me that's one of the things that makes GW orcs 'special'.

Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Shadowspite wrote:
Killerk wrote:plain ugly :\

Orcs are supposed to be ugly. ;)

Well there is cool ugly which it certainly isn't, and their is "I would touch it with a stick ugly" and their is the censored words ugly, thats how bad it is. kind of like WTF are they on, to release something like that.
Also known as Kanadian
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Well, that's the thing about subjective aesthetic judgements. They're subjective. I think they look fine for orcs. Probably the best orc models GW have done, apart from that warchanter. I'll never buy any because orcs are not an army I'm interested in playing any more, but if I actually liked orcs (like I did when I was twelve), I'd definitely get some of these Ironjawz.

None of that means anybody else is required to like them, of course. :)

Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I love most orc models, its one of the best visual armies out there, but this is just shiz, even GW standards.
Also known as Kanadian
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Meh! I'm not buying that. Maybe the minis are not your cup of tea, or that you don't like the direction they are taking. That's a fair opinion. I can't object that. GW is steering away from the medi-evil Tolkien-esque fantasy and moving to a more dramatic, showy fantasy style. It's a change I see in other places too, as if fantasy as a genre is moving away from Tolkien.

But if you want to see some ugly armies, I'll gladly take some scans from the WFB 6th BRB. You know.. that era that is still lauded as if things were better (no they were not). Sure, there was "a certain charm" to it, like the cardboard or plaster scenery from the original star trek series.
"Why is Captain Kirk lifting that hollow block of plaster?!"
- "Well ... it's supposed to represent a rock.."
If I recall, the Dark Elves were a popular army largely because of how awesome the minis were, in spite of being a bottom tier army. It was one of the few armies that looked great across (almost) the entire line, but you might struggle to get them sold nowadays.

Of course, we could blame the "style" and "AoS/40K" direction they are taking but I'm not buying that entirely either. Why are the minis from the Raging Heroes Kickstarter, blending fantasy elves and eldar, spared? They are lauded for it. But taking another look at it, they seem more fit for AoS than traditional WFB :)

Also, I think the orcs look terrific in red.

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It's heavily inspired on Conan the Barbarian.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

They look like glow in the dark...

[+] SPOILER
dildos