AoS Battle Report: Revenge of the Ogres (with pictures)

Batreps under Age of Sigmar rules

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Barking Agatha
Corsair

AoS Battle Report: Revenge of the Ogres (with pictures)

Post by Barking Agatha »

Another game against ogres today. This is the same army that I could never beat in WHFB 8th edition. Can I turn the tide with AoS rules? Well, see for yourself:

My 3 Repeater Bo Throwers are on top of the Temple of Skulls, with the Bo Guard (Dreadspears) in a line in front, the Head Chop Bo's on their left, and the Keening Bo's on the right. Mhoireanne is there with the Cauldron of Blood, with Dread Lady Boanne, Aoifanne the Sorceress, and Madhanne (Aunt Maddie the Medusa). Further right (not seen) Princess the War Hydra, and the Five Shades of Bo occupy the tower.

TURN 1: He won the initiative. Two gorgers emerge from a corner on my left side. The ogre army advances toward my brilliantly arranged defenses. The Thundertusk circles the tower on their left side, and their Ironblaster shoots at the Five Shades, but misses.

The Cross-bo's advance into the ruin and shoot at the Mournfang Cavalry, doing only one wound. Aoifanne and the Bo 'locks move carefully into range. Princess moves to the edge of the forest. The Five Shades shoot at the cannon and wound it twice. The 3 Repearter Bo Throwers all shoot at the Leadbelchers in the ruins, but only do 2 wounds. Very disappointing.

TURN 2: Fortunately, I win the initiative, so I get another chance. Aoifanne summons a Balewind Vortex to cover that side (no one can move within 3" of it), and also casts Word of Pain on the Maneaters. The Bo 'locks cast Doombolt on the Gorgers, wounding one. The Head Chop Bo's move to help the Cross Bo's about to be charged. Princess breathes fire on the Leadbelchers, rolling fairly well, but they save every wound but one. The Five Shades shoot at the Ironblaster again and put another 3 wounds in it. The 3 Repeater Bo Throwers all shoot at the Leadbelchers again, but they only manage to put another 2 wounds in them, killing one. I do a little scream, 'Aaaargh!'.

The Cross Bo's are charged by Mournfang Cavalry and Sabertusks, suffering quite a few casualties, but still hold. The gorgers charge the Bo 'locks, killing one and losing one. Gnoblars charge the Bo Guard and kill a few. The Bo Guard manages to kill not one single gnoblar. On my right, the Thundertusk gets within 18" and all Five Shades automatically die, as the Thundertusk is still at full wounds. I had hoped to have put a few wounds in it by now, but I've been uselessly trying to shoot at the Leadbelchers. The Ironblaster, the Thundertusk, and the Leadbelchers all shoot at Princess, and then she is charged by the Tyrant and the Ironguts... she never stood a chance.

TURN 3: And now he wins the initiative. The Cross-bo's still hold against the Mournfangs and Sabertusks. They do better than the Head Chop Bo's, who fail every single save and are wiped out, although at least not before killing 3 ogres. The Bo 'locks are still fighting the Gorger. When my Hero Phase finally comes up, the last Bo 'lock finishes him off with a Doombolt. Aoifanne casts Word of Pain on the Maneaters again. The Butcher casts the Maw on the Bo Guard, killing 10 with 5 rolls until he finally rolled a 3 or less. The Ironguts and Tyrant are charged by the Keening Bo's and Mhoireanne. Mhoiranne's Cauldron of Blood suffers 7 wounds between the Ironblaster, Thundertusk, and Leadbelchers. Boanne charges her chariot into the gnoblars. The 3 malfunctioning Repeater Bo Throwers someone sold me finally manage to kill two maneaters and two Leadbelchers. Not great, but it's better than they've done so far!

The Keening Bo's kill the Tyrant and half the Ironguts, but Mhoiranne and the Cauldron go down, and there are only two Keening Bo's left.

TURN 4: The three Repeater Bo Throwers that I'm this close to smashing with my shoe finally roll something above a 3, and shred the Thundertusk apart. Why couldn't they have done this from the start? The last two survivors of the Keening Bo's charge the Ironblaster, hoping to put the last two wounds in it -- nice try, but no. The gnoblars are finally defeated, but Boanne is killed by the last two of the Ironguts. The Cross Bo's kill the Sabertusks, but that's the last thing they do as they are finally overwhelmed, and the Mournfang Cavalry moves forward. The last of the Bo 'locks moves up the temple to block the ogres charging from that direction.

TURN 5: Well, this is Turn 5.

So, not another Bo Victory. More like a Bo Catastrophe.

What went so wrong? I really do blame the dice. I had placed a lot of faith in my Repeater Bo Throwers and darkshards to do some damage before the ogres were on me, and they failed me utterly with rolls so bad that they defied belief. The one time they rolled an average -- not even a great -- result, they outright killed the Thundertusk, which was what they were supposed to be doing from the beginning! Likewise, the Executioners could not roll a 4+ to save their lives... literally. The Cross-bo's held out pretty stubbornly in the ruins though, considering what they were up against. And the Leadbelchers rolled unbelievable saves too: at one point, he made 10 saves out of 11, on 5+. I'll admit I screamed a little!

I want a re-match. Such abysmal luck can't happen again, can it? (<sob> <choke> of course it will... you know it will).
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: AoS Battle Report: Revenge of the Ogres (with pictures)

Post by Calisson »

Finally! AoS gave you the revenge on 8th losses!
EDIT: :oops: <tired>
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

Calisson wrote:Finally! AoS gave you the revenge on 8th losses!

Erm, no. They wiped me out, again. :)
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Yikes, 72 shots with your RBT's and only 4 wounds! I think I would smash my dice with a hammer.

Another good report, BA. Keep 'em coming.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

Icon hack wrote:Yikes, 72 shots with your RBT's and only 4 wounds! I think I would smash my dice with a hammer.

Another good report, BA. Keep 'em coming.

Oh, it was more than that. 10 saves with my Executioners and I made none. 20 attacks with the dreadspears and no wounds. I began to wonder if I'd picked up a packet of D3's by mistake! They didn't re-discover the numbers 4, 5 and 6 until the fourth turn or so.

And thanks :)