Daeron's Goretide's in the AoS starter campaign

Batreps under Age of Sigmar rules

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Daeron's Goretide's in the AoS starter campaign

Post by Daeron »

Starter campaign - Battle 1 - No quarter

As a light-hearted start, we decided to play the starter campaign... including its ridiculously simple introductory battle.
The matchup is probably designed to give players a first taste of the turn sequence and battle sequence. For Warhammer vets, it's a bit laughable, but we had beer with us so all was well.

Here's the deployment, as dictated by the scenario.

He's sporting a Lord Vandus. I'm using my Bloodstoker and Khorgorath. We roll off for the first turn and he wins.

Turn 1 - Stormcast Eternals

He moves straight forward, which is quite a lot considering his run distance. In his shooting he manages to inflict a few wounds on the Khorgorath. I failed all saves and these pin pricks make him angry! And Lord Vandus might not like it when Khorgorath gets angry!
During the charge, he continues his stampede to the Bloodstoker with ease.

We move to combat, and he gets to go first. He completely stomps my Bloodstoker, and he's down!
My Khorgorath piles in, but a poor roll on my end and Lord Vandus' excellent save sees the man unharmed.

Turn 1 - Goretide Army

During the shooting I fail to land a wound, but we have combat to follow up. I do manage to deal a wound, or two.. I think. But in return, Lord Vandus blasts the Khorgorath.

Turn 2 - Stormcast Eternals

In the last round, Lord Vandus finishes off the Khorgorath before he gets to fight back. If he wasn't dead already lol :P

Final thoughts

Well it's a silly face off but it is a good way to go through the various stages of the game without complexity of the units itself.
I might theorycraft the odds for the Goretide to win, just to see how ridiculously disadvantaged they are, for the fun and sake of it :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Re: Daeron's Goretide's in the AoS starter campaign

Post by Barking Agatha »

Ha! :)

May I ask how you make those illustrations?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Battle Chronicler - http://battlechronicler.com/
But I'm not sure it will remain the favorite tool for AoS. AoS is also more difficult to make reports for, with the individual models and all.
I tried to make these diagrams in SVG, but it eats up more work than battle chronicler.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Battle 02 - The darkening sky

The second battle speaks of the prosecutor's path to the realmgate, while they are attacked by Bloodreavers. The scenario offers two units of Bloodreavers to stop three Prosecutors.

Deployment
We deployed along the rules of the scenario. I found it relatively hard to fit both units on the board with the required distance. I deployed them in triangles, to keep the distance and keep them as close to each other as possible.

Turn 1 - Goretide
I get to go first, but I don't rush in. I assumed that this would make one unit too isolated, so instead I spread my units to avoid the opponent can fly over and outrun me.

I expect them to be within support range of one another, so they need to hold up for 1 fight only.

Turn 1 - Stormcast Eternals
The Stormcast eternals fly in, shoot, and then charge. A few kills on the shot and a few kills in combat make for a big battle shock test. I return only 1 wound.
I rolled high on the battle shock and, whoops, there goes the unit!

Turn 2 - Goretide
For Khorne!!! I charge in, proving well within range as expected. I think I fluffed all my attacks though and lose a few reavers in return. I only lose one to the battle shock though.

Turn 2 - Stormcast Eternals
With little choice left, there's only the shooting and the fighting. My return damage sees another Stormcast dead, but the unit is down to a few models who flee from the battle shock.

Concluding thoughts
It might be worth trying to back up the first unit of Reavers. Perhaps combined, the two units can put a dent in the Stormcast Eternals. In the end, all I need is a few wounds to tilt the balance. But it's definitely an uphill battle for the Goretide.

- The stiff breeze
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Haha its no fair game for the Goretide in these campaigns at all.

Well I get the point of it though
Please do continue with this campaign
Choombatta
Warrior

Post by Choombatta »

I would have to agree that the initial scenarios in the box set are weighted towards Stormcast winning.
We played the 1st three scenarios last weekend, and the Stormcast won all three ( I was playing Goretide ).

The 3rd scenario was the only one that was even close, the Stormcast ended the last wave with 1 wound counter on the Relictor and 1 remaining Retributor who had 1 wound counter on him.

We will play the next three scenarios this coming weekend, but I predict the outcome will not change much.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

anthalont wrote:Haha its no fair game for the Goretide in these campaigns at all.

Well I get the point of it though
Please do continue with this campaign

Haha... Yeah.. It's not fair. I know. That said, the next battle was a win for the Goretide!
I have 4 more AoS reports waiting to be written, but I'm struggling to find the time...

Thanks for the feedback all. I'll try to keep the reports coming.

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I forgot about these reports, sorry!
Another battle from the starter campaign!

This time, the Stormcasts are in the defense against waves of Goretides. The details have become a bit vague since it's been so long. But this should somewhat represent how the battle went ;)

Turn 1 - 2 - 3
ImageImageImage

Since he could heal wounds, I knew I'd have to try to take down a single model or two as quickly as possible. I reckoned it would be too hard to get the Relictor down, so I focused on the retributors and hoped the brute savagery would be enough to get one down. One model down would mean a significant boon for future waves of attack.

I deploy as widely as possible, and as closely to him as I can.
He gets turn 1, and he moves his retributors forward, keeping his relictor a bit back for safety. He is out of range to do any spell.

In my turn I run towards his troops, not going for the charge as I expected the chances to be too slim. I keep the Blood Warriors a little bit to the back so he wouldn't be able to charge them as easily.

In Turn 2 he tries the lightning on my Blood Reavers with mediocre results. He then takes the bait and charges my Blood Reavers with his retributors. They wreak havoc and a significant amount of them die or flee from battleshock. I don't know the exact numbers, but I think it was close to half the unit. However, I deal one or two wounds in return. Victory! Because I'll get another round now, before he can heal.

In my Turn 2 I charge in with my blood warriors and focus everything on his relictors. I think I made the reavers attack first, fearing he'd be able to kill them completely otherwise. On his return damage, he did take out a blood warrior and some blood reavers.
Finally the blood warriors fight and finish off one retributor. Yarr! I think I did one extra wound, but I'm not sure. Although my numbers are slimming, I'm feeling like this was a succesful wave.

In turn 3 he charges in with the relictor. I think he used lightning, but I'm not sure. Either way his spell failed. In the following battle, I succeeded in taking out one more retributor. Sure, my troops took a lot of casualties too, but this was going great!

By the end of his turn he wanted to conceed, but we agreed to finish this wave. Nothing special happened, as he mopped up the troops and I did a few wounds, but he was down to a single retributor and his relictor.

He conceded. Victory for the Goretide!!

In retrospect, I think timing is extremely important in this fight. By charging first, in turn 2, he created a long pauze in between heals when the fight was the hardest. A few mediocre rolls on his side, but nothing extraordinary, made the whole balance shift in my favour. That is... he would still smash my troops but at too big a cost. By the third round, I had the upperhand just enough to take out a second retributor.

I think a more defensive tactic could have ensured him victory, but ... This one's mine!

- The stiff breeze