Trouble using the BBC code?? WIth firefox??

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Trouble using the BBC code?? WIth firefox??

Post by Prince of arnheim »

I have a darn hard time trying to get the HTML codes to work with my armylists.....

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any reason why it isn't as simple as highlighting my text and then choosing the tags from the above menu that I can see right now but doens't seem to work...

Is it's purpose just to show me how to type the codes??

I am also using a Firefox Web Browser......
Last edited by Prince of arnheim on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

HTML codes? Er... things like the quote tags and the italics tags most commonly used are phpBB coding, not HTML, AFAIK - they use the [] brackets instead of the <> ones.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Plus the tags are really simple.

To use them, you have two options. Either click the respective button, then the opening tag will appear in your text box and you can type the text you want it applied to behind it, then put the text cursor behind the text and click the button again, that will automatically put a closing tag at the point where the text cursor was.

Or you can type them in manually.

A list of the most important ones, use them without the space after the first bracket each:

[ quote="Name of the quoted person"]quote text [ /quote]
[ i]italics[ /i]
[ b]bold[ /b]
[ u]underlined[ /u]
[ color=yellow]text colour(use any of the listed colours from the drop down menu instead of yellow)[ /color]
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Dark harlequin
Highborn

Re: Trouble using the HTML?? WIth firefox??

Post by Dark harlequin »

Prince of Arnheim wrote:Is it's purpose just to show me how to type the codes??

I am also using a Firefox Web Browser......

Supposing you are talking about the BBCode to format your posts. You have to either type in the tags manually or you can click once on a specific tag to open the format then write your stuff and click the same tag again to close the format.
It is not that hard.

Anyway, this is the suggestion area.
Are you suggesting that it should work with highlight and click?

In that case I say it worked for years now, so why fix it if it is not broken? ;)
It's a conspiracy...
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

When you reply, there is an options list in the lower left corner of the screen. Currently, it says that:
  • HTML is off
  • BBCode is on
  • Smilies are on

This is the choice of the site administrator. Allowing HTML would incur all manner of trouble, starting with layout and not even ending with security risks. It may not make the website standards compliant, but it makes it easier to manage.

So HTML tags don't work here. Suppose, for instance, that I would type the following, perfectly legal, HTML code:

Code: Select all

<div style="position: fixed; left: 2ex; top: 0; width: 20em; height: 100%; z-index: 1; background: black; border: 1px solid silver; font-family: monospace">
  This is an annoying little git that could be coded to be even worse.
</div>

This would put a window up over the identity of other posters. Admittedly, in this case, the code is purposefully obtrusive, but all manners of trouble breaks loose when you allow HTML code to go rampant on a server.

Most of your formatting needs are catered to with BBCode. If you want more tags, feel free to contact the site admin, since that's not me. :lol:
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

OK

I am talking about the BBC code......it doesn't work for me....in the highlight and click manner that should make it nice and convenient to use......
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

Are you using any Firefox extensions?
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

http://www.bbc.co.uk should answer your questions.

Seriously, though, I have the same problem with my firefox, and I don't use any extensions. Whenever I highlight a piece of text and press one of the quick tag buttons, the pair of tags is placed at the end of the post.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Aye I have the same problem, but its Mac problem for me I believe. Either that or Safari. Doesn't bother me though. I just type 'em.
Pleased to be back
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

I´m using opera, so I can´t say wether it is Firefox that stops this method from working, but I never used it anyway, I just type in the commands - after a few days it comes to you as easily as typing the actual text.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

I just type 'em.

I type in the quote, bold, italics, code tags et all as well - I always have, actually, since it isn't all that difficult to do.

Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

It's not the BBC codes, it's phpBB codes. Learn the talk. :roll:

That said, yes, highlighting + tags doesn't work with Firefox, but only on this site as far as I know. I has nothing much to do with FF, rather a problem with this site's code - just like the fact that this leaves a space where there shouldn't be one.
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

And here's our culprit:

if ((clientVer >= 4) && is_ie && is_win) {
This first line shows that the selection trick is designed only to work with IE v4 for Windows. The following code works for Mozilla 1.7, Firefox 1.5 and Opera 9.

var start, end;
var str;
var textarea = document.post.message;

start = textarea.selectionStart;
end   = textarea.selectionEnd;
str   = textarea.value;

textarea.value = str.substring(0, start) + bbtags[bbnumber]
                   + str.substring(start, end) + bbtags[bbnumber+1]
                   + str.substring(end, str.length);

If there is a selection, tags are inserted just before and after; if not, both start and end tags are inserted at the caret.

The code gets funky in IE 6, however, so maybe we could put this in the "else"-section?

Setting Opera to mask as IE works as a charm, so seemingly, the test is probably obsolete as well. Funny how the world goes around. ;)
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Get the BBcode extension for firefox. I find that works very well.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

moved to off topic as it isnt a suggestion but a browser thingie discussion.. the technical details are to much for my blonde brain
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Then can I make the suggestion (wink, wink) to implement the above code? :)
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Tarbo wrote:Then can I make the suggestion (wink, wink) to implement the above code? :)

That be webmaster territory. You'll have to see if Kala or Langmann can use their mighty powers as a force for change...(rather than their usual generic Eeeeeevil ;) ).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Tarbo wrote:Then can I make the suggestion (wink, wink) to implement the above code? :)

pm me.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."