Any Australians Here?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

King coombs #1
Black Guard

Any Australians Here?

Post by King coombs #1 »

If so, Do any of you follow the cricket. If you do, What are your views on Australia's recent test victory over India and the claims that we cheated?

I think that it is absurd. We are an awesome cricket team. No doubting that. Though on that hand, they way the Indians played im not surprised they think we cheated. they met our 463 and put on an extra 100 and went on to loose the match. Sticky matter.

on another note....GO THE AUSSIES!!!

:)
Those that know how to win are much more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories.

"Coombs, why do i keep you around! :/"
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I come from the land down under...

I haven't been watching the test series for I have been preoccupied with work and other matters. Though I think watching cricket on T.V is like watching grass grow.

We won? Nice...
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

I'm from Austrlia and while I don't watch the cricket all the time I know enough to know that we don't need to cheat to beat India. But frankly I'm getting a little tired of The indian players insulting ours.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"
Maleuth
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maleuth »

We have a cricket team...?

Seriously though, I'm not that big on the sports, my father used to drag me along to the cricket each year for one day test matches and I'd either pull a hat down and catch a few Z's, or just read a book. It was just...so boring. Football at least was over in an hour and a bit, and people were moving around. I even got to make blood bowl references that no-one else understood.
Maleuth ira-bael du'Tabris.
WS:4 S:4 T:2 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long Sword, Shield, Light Armour, 50gp
'Can you imagine a life, without blood? Such a travesty should not come to pass...'
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

I feel exactly the same way Maleuth, what i wish is that they would make blood bowl a real sport, now that would be interesting.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"
King coombs #1
Black Guard

Post by King coombs #1 »

Lol. I expected this much. I havent met to many gamers who like sports as i do.

Well at least now i know not to bring up sports in the forum.

Good day all

Those that know how to win are much more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories.

Maleuth
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maleuth »

Oh, by all means, go ahead and indulge your love of sports, we won't stop you. I believe most of us jumped on to reply as the thread title was aimed at fellow countrymen[woman], and Australians have this tendency to band together in groups with pride. We've just explained that sports isn't our cup of tea, but we're sure as hell not going to stop you from enjoying it!
'Can you imagine a life, without blood? Such a travesty should not come to pass...'
King coombs #1
Black Guard

Post by King coombs #1 »

Of course. I can talk to my sporting friends about all of this. I guess this was just to see if i there was anyone on here to talk to about it. obviously not, which is fine.

Im sure there is other off topic conversations we can have.

Almundis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Almundis »

i am english and have never watched more than 5 minutes of cricket willingly, but still its nice to have won the ashes. (thats right we've only done it once in however long and like all english people, we shall milk it to death!:))
name: Rhyithan Uematsu
WS 4 (5)
Str 4
T 4
Dxty 2
Int 5
Equipment: Longsword, Shield, Lightarmor, Seadragon Cloak, Enchanted Draich (+1 WS).
skills: Two-Handed Weapon Fighting
10gc

awesome tattoo - priceless.
Vel demere
Dark Rider

Post by Vel demere »

As a fellow Englishman and also a sports fan, I have to point out we have won the ashes many times (only once recently) but were well beaten in the last one.

Not sure it was Aussie cheating per se, there were some negative tactics but it is difficult as you have had so many good players lately, many of whom have recently retired, it puts a lot of additional pressure on a slightly under-skilled team (compared to national expectations)
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

For me the most fun is watching people at work carry on about the current test. I work in a call centre and about a third of the staff is Indian.

Its cool to watch Spanish and Vietnamese Australians argue about the merits of australian players, though my opinion of the Indians is shared by a Jewish Australian there "How can a country get so excited about a game they are so crap at?" :D

The Austalians are good, though not as good as they think they are, They have been a good tean since the ashes win with taylor in the team years ago and are not totaly dependant on single players like most other teams have been. No one has mentions the little fat c*** so I assume Warney has retired or been taken out and shot or something. It was hard to support the team with that object in it, but the rest of the team have always been good sportsman.

Its very funny to see the Indians go down the sledging path like Australia has. Australian sledging was actually stage managed by Healy when he was in the team and that is some thing the Indians will need to do as well to get full effect from it. The current bans and charges against the Inians suggest they need some work.

Haven't watched any of the current test series, I day games is about it for me, but listening to all of the Indians at work crap on is fun. No matter what they say you can always reply "yes, yes, whatever, you are still going to lose though, you do realise that don't you?" anfd be tight 99% of the time.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Vel demere
Dark Rider

Post by Vel demere »

You are right that Warney has retired from the international scene, but is still occasionally causing minor earth tremors in the uk with his county bowling.

Upset that he is no longer a star he has decided to eat all the pies and turn himself into a small planet.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I love to play cricket, but I do so always under strict advice. This is because in Australia, if you start a game - any game, not just cricket - sooner or later an Australian will come along and try to win it. When all I'm trying to do is pass the time, I must say I find that sort of behaviour infuriating.

The Australian cricket team would have to be the prime example of that sort of mentality. In my experience, Australians just cannot play games, they can only win them. And it s@#ts me to tears. When you watch the Australians playing, you know that they're just going to do whatever it takes to win, whereas the opposition will get to a point and just shake their heads in disbelief that any body could take a pastime so seriously.

In answer to the topic question, I don't think anything of it : in the face of our cricket teams' sheer mindless devotion to the capture of trophies, all thought is futile.

Desolation!

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Draithon
Black Guard

Post by Draithon »

Sport,Sport?What is this thing you speak of? :D I will not watch sport willingly except skiing.An aussie who hates sport,hmmm(me).But most of my wargaming friends like sport so dont think youre the only one.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.

Sun Tzu
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Don't forget about Warneys love of women.

I haven't been following much but the indians are poor losers and try to force mistakes because shouting abuse is always a ggod way to put a btsman off.

cheers rob
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
King coombs #1
Black Guard

Post by King coombs #1 »

Yes. I agree. When you watch the australians play sport you already know the outcome. We are like machines. Our international teams dont play to have some fun and have a good time, its all about the trophy, period.

Lol. Warnie. I enterd a vb competition to face an over of his. If i actually won, i dont think id be able to get bat on ball. Im a fairly good batsman, though the things he can do with a cricket ball, zomg.

(this is an interesting topic. we have a few who hate it, a few how find it funny and two who like it. Cool)

Maleuth
Trainee Warrior

Post by Maleuth »

Australians are to sporting as Koreans are to Starcraft. I once saw the look of a gentlemen who lost his sponsor game in a gaming documentary and, well, you could see in his face and his eyes that for him it wasn't about having fun with a videogame anymore.

Play to have fun peoples. Play to have fun.
Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

What are your views on Australia's recent test victory over India and the claims that we cheated?
WELL !

On the subject of CHEATING, why did it take until neutral umpires were introduced in Tests on the sub-continent, for ANYONE to win a Test series in India or Pakistan ? (except one in the `60`s under Bill Lawry).

Indian umpires were (and are) NOTORIOUSLY biased towards the home side (being India in India). They NEVER gave an LBW decision in a visiting teams favour, and nearly ALWAYS gave a visiting teams batsmen out LBW when India were bowling.

It got to the point where visiting sides didn`t even bother appealing for LBW. I believe a touring West Indian side during the `80`s under Viv Richards managed a Draw against India, but the Batsmen batted about two metres in front of the crease so they COULDN`T be given out. Meanwhile their bowlers only played for bowled and caught, never LBW.

SO.

All you Indian fans and players accusing the Aussies of bias and cheating...

...LOOK AT YOURSELVES !!!!!!!

As far as the Sydney Test goes, we beat the Indians hands down. Yes there were heaps of shocking umpiring decisions, most of which went against the Indians (see my above comments on Umpiring decisions...I rest my case).

BUT, overall, Australia played with guts, vigour, and a sportsmanlike competetive spirit that was simply to strong for India. This is the best Indian team we have seen for a while, but I believe the Aussies have what it takes to beat them convincingly at any venue.

Cheers

A true Aussie.

P.S.

This is a good way to bring Australian Druchii.net members together. Criket fans/Druchii.net members in general in fact.
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
King coombs #1
Black Guard

Post by King coombs #1 »

Agreed.

If you look at it this way, when Sri Lanka and Australia played against one another, it was a massacre. We killed them And they are number 2 in the world. (Though they dont deserve it)

India are putting up one hell of a fight. Well at least they did before they pulled out because Harbajan wants an appeal. I think its a waste of time and they should just keep playing, but the Indian cricket committee like to complain.

Anyone know who we are playing against next? I know im going to a 1 day in February. I think its against the Kiwis.

Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

So Coombs, Simic, these glasses you wear, with one green lens and one gold one, do they cause you to walk in spirals?

Subcontinental umpires did (and do) recieve death threats if they don't help the team. And the hell the Sri Lankans didn't deserve the number 2 ranking. At the time, they had beaten everyone, everywhere, except for Australia (no 1). Then they wizzled it away. Like the English before them, the Indians before that, the Zeth Epricans before that.

You say that Australia's guts, vigour, Fosters and Matilda was too strong for India, not to even mention their Gulargambone kangaroos to Menindee on a brumby, cobber, or the Mate Ship Lollipop winding back to the tuckerbox from Old Regret... AAAAARRRRRGGHHHHH! but we will never know if that is true, because the chance for them to prove it was taken from them by no fault of their own. In much the same way that Simon Katich's chance to single handedly win Australia the Ashes in England 3 years ago was removed from him.

Pressure equalised. Crisis averted.

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Frosty the evil snowman
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Frosty the evil snowman »

I am not much of cricket fan more of a rugby boy.
Any way I feel too sore to the Aussies cricket team seeing as they are my arch enemies (I am South African)

The Aussies did not cheat,but if you count selling your souls to have awesome cricket skills as cheating , then they did cheat

I love Rugby GO BOKKE :mrgreen:
King coombs #1
Black Guard

Post by King coombs #1 »

The reason the Sri Lankans got to number 2 is because they had a series against Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and Pakistan. All of which completely suck. the only half decent team they beat were the English.

You say that Australia's guts, vigour, Fosters and Matilda was too strong for India.

I did not say this. I believe that the Indians deserved to win (within limits). they played phenomenally. I disagree that the Indians are pulling out of the test to have an appeal, after all its just a game.

Ahh the rugby. This is a cricket topic. I Might add a rugby one. I love union. The best form of football there is )excluding N.F.L. I believe that the Kiwis were robbed of the world cup yet again by those damn pommie bastards.

Overall, International sports are becoming professional. its not about the game anymore its all about winning.

Frosty the evil snowman
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Frosty the evil snowman »

In South Africa sports are not about winning or just a game its all become about politics and goverment ,its really messed up
FROSTY,COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU
King coombs #1
Black Guard

Post by King coombs #1 »

Yeah. Its the same everywhere with just about every sport. Hell even lawn bowls is about winning these days.

Miss the good ole days of sport when you paid to see a game between two side being played. Not 2 teams of pawns under the control of the political chiefs up top.

Vel demere
Dark Rider

Post by Vel demere »

King Coombs #1 wrote:The reason the Sri Lankans got to number 2 is because they had a series against Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and Pakistan. All of which completely suck. the only half decent team they beat were the English.

Being English I resent that remark, the current test team are no way good enough to even be referred to as half decent! Maybe if we could keep our most influential players out of pubs and pedaloes for a few days we might do rather better