Random ramblings about pointless stuff

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Random ramblings about pointless stuff

Post by Dark Alliance »

Sitting on the train to work today, watching my coins vibrate across the dodgy table in front of my seat got me to thinking.

What is the point of loose change? 20p, 50, and 1.00 coins are fine. At least you can buy something worthwhile with them. But copper coins and 5ps? Why? Have you tried to buy something and hand over anything more than about 6p's worth of coins? Nobody wants 'em.

Time to start a(nother pointless...) Facebook group in an attempt to get a social issue changed I think.

Yeah, and what's the point of all those Facebook applications requiring you to name 20 friends blah, blah, blah...

And oh yeah, why do they always put the lid on your takeaway coffee for you, when the sugar is at the side and ya gotta take it off again, burning ya fingers in the process to put the sugar in. What's the point?

Let's have a rambling moan about other pointless stuff coz after all ... what's the point? :lol: :lol:
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I have a similar one... not only those coppers are useless... but they also force them into your wallet with all their insane prices ending at .99
I know the psychological idea put behind it quite some years ago... it doesn't work anymore! people won't care if they need to pay 1p more and don't have that stupid useless loose change rattling about! paying 1p more is worth the peace :P
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Why do hot drinks such as coffee always get filled to the brim, forcing you to bend down to the table and suck the top layer of boiling hot drink and making you burn your tongue? If you try to brave it and lift the cup carefully up to your lips, you spill some of it and you burn your fingers in the process.

Why do they always fill your cold drinks such as iced coffees half full of ice when you'd only want a little bit of ice and the rest of the good stuff?

Why?

Why make alarm clocks which move further away from you, forcing you to get up and switch it off. Just put your normal alarm clock further away from your side table and haul ass.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

@Dark Alliance
I'm sure there are people who'd be happy to take your small coins if you find them obsolete to your needs. :lol:

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Almundis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Almundis »

@khel: they fill it with ice because ice is cheap, good stuff is expensive, if they take a third of a drink and replace it with ice then they can serve a drink that is "free" to produce every two drinks (because of course the free drink needs to be full of ice as well. Hence i always ask for no ice.

As for pennies, they are part of the economy in taxation terms. Since the government need/want to add tiny increments to costs etc in taxes, so yes they are fairly redundant for the common man, but on the wider scale they are necessary.

And as for facebook groups asking you to add a hundred friends, it's so they can make money out of advertising, which facebook is rammed full of.

Sorry to be "that guy" and everything but it's just in my nature :D
name: Rhyithan Uematsu
WS 4 (5)
Str 4
T 4
Dxty 2
Int 5
Equipment: Longsword, Shield, Lightarmor, Seadragon Cloak, Enchanted Draich (+1 WS).
skills: Two-Handed Weapon Fighting
10gc

awesome tattoo - priceless.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Pennies are great for paying the toll on the parkway/turnpike. Nothing like dumping seventy pennies into the machine :D
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

almundis wrote:@khel: they fill it with ice because ice is cheap, good stuff is expensive, if they take a third of a drink and replace it with ice then they can serve a drink that is "free" to produce every two drinks (because of course the free drink needs to be full of ice as well. Hence i always ask for no ice.

I think we all know the reason. This thread is just for venting our pent up emotions!
;)

As for pennies, they are part of the economy in taxation terms. Since the government need/want to add tiny increments to costs etc in taxes, so yes they are fairly redundant for the common man, but on the wider scale they are necessary.

Same as. But a better answer is that they don't put taxes up at all. And please don't go down the route of "taxes pay for roads, blah blah..."
;)
And as for facebook groups asking you to add a hundred friends, it's so they can make money out of advertising, which facebook is rammed full of.

We know. Still boring. Still annoying. Yet good to see Facebook is due a revamp.

Sorry to be "that guy" and everything but it's just in my nature :D

Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:Pennies are great for paying the toll on the parkway/turnpike. Nothing like dumping seventy pennies into the machine :D

Thing is, in the UK most vending machines and other coin slot devices do not take pennies. Geez, half of them don't even take 5ps :?
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Dark Alliance wrote:
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:Pennies are great for paying the toll on the parkway/turnpike. Nothing like dumping seventy pennies into the machine :D

Thing is, in the UK most vending machines and other coin slot devices do not take pennies. Geez, half of them don't even take 5ps :?

oh, the toll stations just have a big funnel like thing to collect the coins. So you can throw them in without stopping, and they take all coins. The toll attendants usually dont though if you hand it to the persons if you want a receipt or so.
Jayferd22
Executioner

Post by Jayferd22 »

paying 1p more is worth the peace

I'd rather pay 1.00 than .99. And i don't know if all of you have been to walmart or if it even exists in the UK but how about Walmarts ridiculous prices to make them even lower than the standard .99 You'll pay 2.96 or 3.47 instead of 2.99 and 3.50 thus forcing more pennies into your pocket!!! The nerve!!!
The time for critical thinking is becoming critical I think
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I'll give you one thing that positively irks me : where I work there is a certain product that costs $22.05. What's the bloody five cents for? Whenever someone buys one, I hope that they've either got the exact money, or they plan to buy something else that costs something plus 20-95 cents. Often if they only want the 22.05 item and haven't the exact money, I just forget about the five cents, here's eight bucks your change and good luck to you.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Jayferd22
Executioner

Post by Jayferd22 »

The extra .05 is the markup on the product :D
The time for critical thinking is becoming critical I think
Almundis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Almundis »

@Dark Alliance: Yeah i know everyone knows why, but as I said, I'm just "that guy". As for taxes, they pay for roads... the gold plated ones that go up to the crystal palaces of MPs :P
name: Rhyithan Uematsu
WS 4 (5)
Str 4
T 4
Dxty 2
Int 5
Equipment: Longsword, Shield, Lightarmor, Seadragon Cloak, Enchanted Draich (+1 WS).
skills: Two-Handed Weapon Fighting
10gc

awesome tattoo - priceless.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Not in my shop, not this product, I'm sure the mark up is a couple of bucks at least. That's why it bugs me, and that's why, knowing full well that the .05 is a wizz in an ocean, I let it go. Of course, an ocean is just a lot of wizz, but to go back to Dark Alliance's original example, and almundis' refutation - surely you've got to balance the difference in tax results on the macrosmic scale against the sheer botheration on the same scale? I mean, you've got eighty million or so Britons with two bob in their pocket, wow, that's, I don't know actually, but I suppose it's about sixteen million pounds, a lot of money eh? But you've also got the same eighty million odd Britons who are fed up carrying these useless coins around. How much feduptivity is that? And what sort of knock on effects does it have?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I dispose of pennies in all those supermarket self-checkouts! dropped about Ł1 of 1-10p coins in there at one time... took me about five minutes but my wallet is sooooo much lighter now!

And I used to work at a store for a while, where I was changing prices (yeah, silly job but hey, it paid). Well, the best ones were change from Ł0.99-Ł0.98... or Ł1.99-Ł1.99! ffs! they could seriously not bother changing 3/4th of their prices an no harm would be done at the checkout.... "I'm sorry ma'am your product is actually 1p more expensive than shown at the shelf" geez.
7th edition army book:

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

"Feduptivity" is just the best knew word ever...!
Vallorn deathblade
Noble

Post by Vallorn deathblade »

every weekend i take all my coppers and most of my silvers and dump em in a big glass jar. when the jar fills up i take it to the local post office (yes my village still has one) and watch thier face drop open as they try to count out all my change into notes (had about £200 time i went in) a variation is you can take it to your local branch of bank.
Belial. wrote:Fighting Eldacar over fluff is like fighting Socrates over philosophy...

Alkkrision wrote:-Alkkrision: Druchii.net's own source of bad ideas :).
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

My random rant (Note the sibilance. Too many English courseworks):

A little while ago some idiot on our local council decided to pay £85,000 for some speed bumps that are so flat sports cars could pass over them at 100M.P.H. without any damage being done.

In addition, further down the road there are so many potholes that you have to go slow.

IMO they should either decide to let the potholes do the work and not bother with speed bumps, or fix the road and put in speed bumps that actually stop you speeding.
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

almundis wrote:And as for facebook groups asking you to add a hundred friends, it's so they can make money out of advertising, which facebook is rammed full of.
Actually it's because Facebook is a dataminer's dream and they want you to spread the ap's which require access to your personal info as far as possible so they can sell more data to spammers.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

And yet, you have one...

And no one carries coins in their wallet. That's what ashtrays in cars are for.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You've got to have a car first <rants>
7th edition army book:

Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Yeah, terrible public transportation makes owning a car a necessity, where I live.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

public transportation? what's that? it's so crap that I can have a walk for 1h and still be faster than if I took the busses >.<
7th edition army book:

Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

It was an experiment in spam. I started receiving it within two hours. Success!
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Oh, you haven't seen spam yet, wait til I get done with you.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

On the topic of pennies, not only are they a nuisence that are scattered in ever seeming location, but they are not worth their own value. At least in Canada it apparently costs the mint more the produce a $0.01 coin then the actual coin is worth. So each penny actually loses our country money. On the flip side they are discussing now a plan to cancel the penny and remove it from circulation, but this would mean everything has to be rounded out to the nearest $0.05 (nickel here).