Are there any engineers or architects here that uses BIM?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

The avenger
Beastmaster

Are there any engineers or architects here that uses BIM?

Post by The avenger »

Hi! This might be a quite weird quistion for those who's not into BIM, but I'm writing a paper on the use of BIM. So, are there any persons around here that uses BIM at work that could help me? :)

Thanks 8)
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Might we know what BIM is? :D I'm not being sarcastic, and I sadly can't help with its uses when I don't know what it is, but I'm curious now ... If it's something one can use for modelling I'd be interested to know from that perspective too.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
The avenger
Beastmaster

Post by The avenger »

Hehe, BIM is not Warhammer-related, if that's what you ask for ;)
BIM - Building Information Model(ing) is a new "discipline" and way of think/work in the building industry, It's based on new type of communication between all of the participants in a project.

The term "intellegent" comes from that, after you have made a 3Dmodel of the building, you add all the relevant information to each of the objects in the model (beams, doors, windows, other materials etc). The point of this is to have all the information in one place. When the "foundation"model is made, it'll be sent to other participants (electricians, plumbers, construction engineers etc) or saved on a common database. Once all information has been added, one person (mostly aa BIMcoordinator) will put all the information in 1 model, and check it through a model-checker, if there's something that crashes. For example, controlling that a ventilationshaft is placed where it should, and doesn't go through the kitchenfloor etc. They also check if it satisfies all the rules and demands for fire, energy ++.
You can even get an analyse on how much the building will cost.

This is to remove all of the errors in the building before one starts to build, making it more costeffective, timeeffective etc.

This is quite basic about BIM, but hopefully you get the idea ;)
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Thank you for explaining that, I'm sorry I didn't say so earlier! It sounds like a very sensible approach to design, one that should save an expensive mistake or two and maybe even lives.

If only Malekith had used this approach to plan the rebuilding of Anlec ;)
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~