GW Kid Friendly - Or Not?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Noble korhedron
Empire General

GW Kid Friendly - Or Not?

Post by Noble korhedron »

This is slightly O.T so feel free to suggest another place to post it......

If G.W. stores are cracking down heavily on swearing, and G.W. is trying to be kid-friendly, then why, even recently, did they keep releasing topless models(no pun intended)?; examples include the current Morathi on Sulephet, the previous Ed. metal demonettes, the current plastic ones and several of the current range of other druchii models, not least the prisoners set from the collectors range.....
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: GW Kid Friendly - Or Not?

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Noble Korhedron - this post had nothing to do with Xfallenx plog.
Have moved this to Off topic discussion.

Mod: Cultofkhaine
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Most of the models you cite are old models that were released years ago (about 10 years ago!) when GW was more willing to release stuff with a more mature look. I expect you won't find most of them in most GW stores.

The current daemonettes don't really have breasts to speak of - while they have exposed chests, it's neither sexual or suggestive. They replaced the topless daemonettes about 4-5 years ago, hardly recent.

GW are hardly operating to a double standard if they've removed the 'hardcore' nudity from their ranges and are cracking down on swearing in store(quite rightly).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Yes, GW are going for the more "Kid friendly" ways... and that's alright I guess. The reason why the old ones hasn't been removed is that they haven't been updated yet with new models (daemonettes has been changed).

If you want mature models, you can get that from other retailers (Raging heroes has some awesome models for daemonettes as well as witch elves).

I got problems with how society sees someone in the nude to have a mature rating, while violence and gore is alright. I'd switch those two around any day, but that's another discussion entirely.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Omnichron wrote:I got problems with how society sees someone in the nude to have a mature rating, while violence and gore is alright. I'd switch those two around any day, but that's another discussion entirely.

^ This.

I think the move by GW has been ongoing for some time, which in my opinion, is too bad. The secondary market selling these OOP GW models, funnily enough are still bringing in some serious cash. A unit of 5 Juan Diaz Seekers will run you 2+x the amount they cost new, while most of the other models of that period are traded at 50% off. For a larger publicly traded company it is much easier to placate to popular opinion/’political correctness’ than it is to defend against. I have no beef with the move but it is leaving the door open for other co's to sneak a finger into their pie.

Newer companies seeking a foothold are able to take bigger risks to find & take advantage of a niche left open by big brother. Raging Hero's, for the time being, are able to meet demand for this style of model & will be getting future dollars from me. I’ll continue to buy the printed rules/ab’s GW produces as well as a few select models as, , again my opinion, they make some damn fine tabletop rules. So far as the models….. I’ll choose the ones that inspire me every time.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I guess I was ranting about this nearly ten years ago in here (OMG am I really 48 now??? - Eeek!) so this is really nothing new. I've given up playing now though - there's nobody left in my area that still plays and it's just gone SO obscenely expensive now that it's no longer viable.

I do feel sorry for the younger players though as they've missed out on a generation of wonderful (though not exactly kiddy-friendly) models that are now selling for very high prices on ebay. Maybe I should consider selling my army...

Sadly some of my old scratchbuilt and converted minis are no more - in particular the Dominatrix of Slaanesh, which many of the veteran members will no doubt remember with great joy (ahem :) )
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

If anyone else ever had the old red, green and blue catalogues, they can confirm that GW also used to do a naked obviously male werewolf, so I guess at least their less-nudity policy covers all bases. I can see over most of the clientele of my local GW store, and I'm 5' 4", so I guess a certain child-friendly element is important to them, though I don't know about the LGSs (we haven't had one here for years).

On another note, very good to see you again, Dark Princess! :D
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Blackfrost
Shade

Post by Blackfrost »

What I don't understand is why they released the new Fiend models that have ten bare breasts?