Druchii Language Guide v.2.0

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Druchii Language Guide v.2.0

Post by Shadowspite »

I am working on a revised and updated version of my Druchii Language Guide.

There's already a thread in the History forum for people to report any official Drukh-Eltharin/Druhir words that have been published in official GW sources over the 7th/8th edition period.

But what else would people find useful? The original DLG focused mostly on naming DE characters, plus a rather random collection of words. I have already added a few common Naggarothi plants, such as the flesh thorn and the black lotus. All 8th edition DE units now have Drukh-Eltharin names (although these may change if someone points me to names in official sources). Weapons too. Some of the geographical locations on the map of Naggaroth. A bunch of other stuff as I think of it. I still reckon naming characters and regiments is likely to be the thing most people use it for.

Anything else people particularly want adding, just let me know below.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Re: Druchii Language Guide v.2.0

Post by Darkprincess »

Your original Drukh-Eltharin guide was a truly inspired piece of work and has proved useful to me when I was writing fluff for the Cult of Pleasure initiative Waaaay back in the day, and also in developing iconography such as banners and shield designs for my army. I think I speak for many people here when I say that any updates to the language guide will be a wonderful contribution to the community. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

What would be really amazing (although a huge amount of work on your part) would be some sort of guide to Druchii grammar, so that we could put actual phrases rather than just symbols on banners and so on, as well as adding flavour to some of the fluff. How do Druchii speak? Is their grammar similar to English, or perhaps more like Tolkein's Elvish tongues (with Quenya being based on Finnish and Sindarin on Welsh). The ability to construct simple sentences would be a boon to fluff writers, though it would undoubtedly require a vast amount of work, so I'm only putting this out there, rather than requesting it as part of the language guide development. There were some basic guidelines in the original document IIRC, but of course any expansion on this would be welcome.

Whatever you come up with, I've no doubt that it will be an extremely valuable addition to the DE background.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

A complete and functional grammar system wouldn't actually be that hard, if I was creating a new language from scratch (I've done it before). The problem is that here I'm working around GW's official fluff, and they have never even tried to make their snippets of elvish sound like there are any consistent grammatical rules behind it all. It's basically impossible to graft a grammar system on afterwards, unfortunately. There's just no way to construct a system that will produce all the elvish words and phrases that have appeared in official GW publications without major inconsistencies.

The same grammatical system is never going to produce both Khaela Mensha Khaine and Sith Rionnasc'namishathir. :P

And GW fluff itself makes clear that the 'rules' of elvish languages are largely incomprehensible to humans. Even the best, most scholarly translations from Eltharin into Reikspiel are supposedly "full of inconsistencies, errors and swathes of garbled nonsense". I actually quite like this idea, because it makes WH elves seem more alien and less like just humans with pointy ears.

Vocab is much easier. :)

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

A little bit off-topics, for the record,
9th Age will deliver a totally new set of languages (one for each Elven faction), made by linguists, with not a single world traceable to GW (hence the off-topics).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Curently unpacking from a move and rereading Malus in a long time, so I will see what I can do to add stuff in as well
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Still working on this. Adding in some stuff from 3rd edition, back when the Druchii first started to take on their current form. Did you know that witch elves used to be called tulluch, or that the city we now call Har Ganeth used to be Ghaba Ghanaf, 'Hangman's Bay'? Or that Hellebron used to be a Khorne-worshipping sorceress named Rhudd Cynhaeaf? 3rd edition was weird!