identifying figures

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

surixurient
Slave on the Altar

identifying figures

Post by surixurient »

Hi,
I bought a collection of old dark elf figures on craigslist and I have been able to identify which units they are except for these two.
Anyone know?

Thanks
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: identifying figures

Post by cultofkhaine »

The one at the bottom is the old citadel male sorcerer see this page 3/4 down http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Dark_Elf_(WHFB_4th/5th_Edition)_-_Collectors_Guide

The first image I have not seen that one before - looks like a conversion (I would say someone has added the cross bow arm to it) there are some similar models at the link above
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Seems like champion 2 to me, at the top of the page.

I love the sorcerer model. It was my first dark elf miniature, repainting it at the moment ,.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
surixurient
Slave on the Altar

Post by surixurient »

Thanks, that link is great, i noticed i had misidentified another one as well.

Is male sorcerer no longer a unit type for dark elf?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

In WH, male sorcerers were never absent, although they became super rare (Malekith ban).
In the 9th Age, no problem.
Now, units of sorcerers/sorceresses were only considered in the 1996 edition IIRC.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Malekith's ban on male sorcerers was invented in 6th edition. In 4th and 5th, there were models for both males and females, most of the sorcerers that appeared in the fluff were male, and the entry in the army book used the masculine form of the word.

Frankly, it was a stupid change that made no sense, caused awkward fluff inconsistencies (e.g. Furion's indeterminate gender, or the number and gender of sorcerers who taught Nagash), and was only done in the first place in order to justify adding more scantily-clad females to the model range and artwork. And then GW clumsily retconned the clumsy retcon by introducing Doomfire Warlocks. They didn't even bother to resolve the Prophecy of Demise during the End Times.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Shadowspite wrote:Malekith's ban on male sorcerers was invented in 6th edition. In 4th and 5th, there were models for both males and females, most of the sorcerers that appeared in the fluff were male, and the entry in the army book used the masculine form of the word.

Frankly, it was a stupid change that made no sense, caused awkward fluff inconsistencies (e.g. Furion's indeterminate gender, or the number and gender of sorcerers who taught Nagash), and was only done in the first place in order to justify adding more scantily-clad females to the model range and artwork. And then GW clumsily retconned the clumsy retcon by introducing Doomfire Warlocks. They didn't even bother to resolve the Prophecy of Demise during the End Times.

Yeah, how did we confuse the guy who seems to be overpriced at a 1000 Points (Malekeith) for the guy that seems to be underprised at a 1000 (Archon...seriously, he has to be the strongest mini in the game)? Oh, yeah, Because corporate said so.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Yeah I have a TON of that top one, he's a champion from the generic Dark Elf Command blister from 4th Ed...1995 or so. Somebody has glued a pistol on the one in this pic, and I would bet that it's from a Dogs of War unit called "Long Drong Slayer's Dwarven Pirates". They came with extra, loose pistols that looked very much like that one. I'm pretty sure that's where that would have come from.

I used to have 2 of the old sorc mini, but sold them both years ago.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360