40K being AOS-ed Rumours

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

40K being AOS-ed Rumours

Post by T.D. »

Not sure if this is the right place to post but...

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/1777

and from Hastings, the guy that previewed the coming of Bubblehammer:

I wouldn't be expecting too much in the way of releases for existing chapters from this point going forwards, not that there won't be 'some', expect the focus to shift onto GW pumping out RGs new armies and weapons of destruction for the upcoming storylines/advances/crusade mk2 (who knows there might even be a new starter box on the not too far horizon )
Without trying to sound like a dick I've known for almost 9 months where this story was going and who revived RG etc. if the rest of what I was told is true (new marines, Mortarion and his plague armies etc.) then there are truly some very exciting times coming for 40k players/hobbyists!

I'm not suggesting anything gets squatted. I said clearly focus will be on new marines rather than existing chapters, but existing chapters will still get releases.
I don't get it, people are happy they're moving the story/timeline on but don't want anything to change, they want just their chapter to get new toys yet complain SM have too much, 40k players should think themselves lucky that they didn't get the same treatment that WFB fans did with the destruction of the setting and large parts of models/armies. What's the point of the hobby for Bret or tomb kings players?
I see new marines as a chance to have the best of both worlds, SM originals don't get endless variants and units but are still in the fight, new marines are like a new army to build up from scratch pretty much, I'm sure they'd happily ally so don't really see what the problem is

The answer to that is simply I don't know. I was told they new marines are different to current marines, I imagine (at least fluff wise) they SHOULD be their own army, however that's not to say they wont also be added to existing chapters as a choice somehow, in fact from a sales point of view it would probably be better to offer them to existing marine players as something new they can buy. I really doubt the iconic space marine kit will be retired so I wouldn't worry too much about them becoming outdated. I guess fluffwise it would be no different than older armour classes still being around in 40k, sure the new marines would be out there, but a lot of existing marines are still out there too.
As the setting is still going strong I can only really liken it to this..... imagine the old world was NOT destrroyed, and that Sigmar disappeared did the whole AoS thing, then reappeared with his host of Sigmarines to save the day at the final hour, in the aftermath I would imagine any future wars the Sigmarines would feature in Empire armies. I imagine this should work out similar, with forces of the new crusade joining up with existing chapters.......... however as it seems like a large amount of comms have been lost now in 40k it would be interesting to see what existing marines would make of the arrival of these new forces of the Imperium...

Yep perfect sense. However I do think a lot of the balance issues are probably a result of just too many armies/codices that have previously taken too long to update in the cycle. For example a lot of SM chapters are their own distinct armies with access to unique units and war machines/weapons, I get from a fluff perspective that they are different but I think GW made a rod for their own backs with the old update codex cycle and adding a couple of more units every time. The studio resources are finite as is time and to expect every army to be updated in a timely manner under the old codex format was unrealistic.
I did post a while back on warseer that I was told codices would change from new ed going forward, change how I am not sure, but I imagine something similar to the way AoS deals with armies/army books where you can still buy printed media but you can also access up to date lists etc digitally, at least that's my best bet for the future of codex releases. Whether or not it would work for 40k with the sheer number of different armies is another thing entirely although you have to assume it would speed up the current rate at which armies get updates. I guess we will see. I should point out I do not play 40k so the current codex thing might have changed already from what I described

Imperial
*EDIT, there will of course be new Chaos Marines models, but I am referring to a totally new kind of Marine, those created on Mars by Cawl & RG along with the other new machineries of war.
See one of my original posts here....
https://disqus.com/home/dis...

New marines will make old marines seem like empire now seem to sigmarines ...... if that makes sense?
Not only the armour will change
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: 40K being AOS-ed Rumours

Post by Daeron »

The rumour has been going around and signs are showing. The newly release SM Mk3 kits have rules available for digital download, for example. They seem to move on to more thematic releases, quite similar to AoS. The new box for the emperor's guard, or something, has its own booklet with rules included.
That is kind of the format I'd expect. A step by step change.
Now, whether they'll be moving more rules from the main book to the units remains to be seen. AoS is becoming a bit confusing with all the scroll versions, so they'll have to work on their process.

Personally, I think it makes perfect sense that they give 40K and AoS a similar business model. It makes the company and studios more efficient, and run at 1 pace instead of having to switch between 2 modus operandi.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The latest reveals from GW itself point in this direction. So far I like the look of things and might put my fantasy hobby efforts on hold to dive into 40K.
Also.. new chaos space marines? Yes please! :D
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Daeron wrote:put my fantasy hobby efforts on hold to dive into 40K.

This is more or less what I'm doing right now. From what has been revealed so far, the new 40K actually looks closer to my ideal tabletop wargame than AoS. Some of the things I dislike about AoS (such as the ease of sniping out characters) seem to have been fixed for new40K.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

40k was born as a tactical skirmish game, fantasy was born as a strategic major battles game. Even going back to the two games that they had running as intro games at my local GW (now long since closed), the fantasy introduction game had 60 models (10 dwarves and 10 wood elves on the "good" side and 10 orcs, 10 goblins, 10 skaven, and 10 dark elves on the "bad" side), while the 40k introduction had just half that number (10 marines versus I think 10 to 20 orks).

So, I think the AoS format, which seems to be much more relevant for small tactical skirmishes, may help bring 40k back to its roots. It won't work when scaled up to the uber gigantic throw everything you have onto the table including yourself Apocalypse battles (but then, to be fair, those were always pretty naff anyway), but at the two squads of five marines with a dreadnought versus 10 eldar aspect warriors and a war walker level? Yeah, that should be pretty sweet.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

ive been following the planned changes to 40k on the GW community. Seems like they really thought it through.
It even got me to buy a great deal on some chaos space marines and wait till new rules drop.
hopefully it will be like Red says, smallish skirmish games, making a few units of marines and 2 elites or so viable.

good to have you back by the way red
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/05/ ... ition.html

Rules leaks do point at a very similar ruleset to AoS. There are some differences, most of which I'd consider an improvement over AoS, but it seems 40K will indeed follow a very similar pattern to AoS.
I'm very interested to see how the army books will look, now!

- The stiff breeze
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

One improvement the new 40K has over AoS: units that have no armour (e.g. Sisters Repentia) get a 7+ save instead of no save at all, which means they can actually benefit from cover and other save bonuses. Let's hope this gets applied to AoS too so my Witch Elves can actually survive to get into melee occasionally! :roll:
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.