Posting battlereport outcome in title...

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Do you like battle outcomes to be included in title?

Yes
22%
No
48%
I dont care
30%

Total votes: 27

Baffled
Beastmaster

Posting battlereport outcome in title...

Post by Baffled »

I dont know if you have talked about this before, but i find it annoying when the result of a battle is in the title or 1st line of a report, I enjoy reading batreps but find it boring to do so when i already know the outcome.

I know it can make it sound more exciting when MASSACRE or something is in the title but i much prefer it when it says some like GREAT, CLOSE or INTENSE battle between .........and so on. It simply makes for a better read in my opponion. And if someone wants to see straight results then they can read the result thread as much as they want.

Anyway just click the poll and add your comments so we can see how most people feel.
There is no spoon.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

This should IMO have been asked in the bat reps forum since it really doesn't concern the whole site.
Personally I see your pouint, but I don't really care.

Loremaster Nagathi
Auric stormcloud
The Black Serpent

Post by Auric stormcloud »

I consider this to be a suggestion, though Nagathi is right in that it would have been better asked in a topic of the Battle Report. I'll leave it here for now, but if anyone feels that it should be moved, just tell me.

Personally, I can see the point of having the outcomes not posted, but it would be too hard to enforce IMHO.
Poo-tee-weet?
Baffled
Beastmaster

Post by Baffled »

Well i thought it should be in the batrep forum but thought that it might anger the gods are (mods), anyway i think it should be moved, sorry for hassle.
There is no spoon.
Auric stormcloud
The Black Serpent

Post by Auric stormcloud »

Ok. I'll move it there now.
Poo-tee-weet?
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Post by Kithan^^ »

Well i see your point here, Baffled. But i really dont care actually.
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Tayrod
Spawn of Slaanesh
Location: Over the hills and far away (ie: In Norway somewhere)

Post by Tayrod »

Well I for one agree whit Baffled. Not much use reading a crime novel when the mystery is solved at the beginning is there now?
And the kneecaps connected to the ... *&¤%#% ... oh darn
Eirick blackheart
Beastmaster

Post by Eirick blackheart »

Sometimes it's handy to have the result in the title because if it is long and you're short on time then it's better than searching through the whole thing to find the result. But I also see the point made that it does kind of ruin it so I think I'll stop putting the result in the title.
"March faster you scum, this isn't a bloody funeral!!!"

-Eirick Blackheart, Lord of the halftimes pie, addressing his slave driver.

"1 death is tragic, 1 million deaths is a statistic" -JS

Hurry up and Wait
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

If you're short on time and want to know a result I advice you to read some of the posts in the "Send in all your results"-thread. In my oppinion (and I guess many other members agree with me) the Bat reps forum is for reading the report and learn a few things and have a good time. If you're just out for the result i's not the bat reps you should go to.

Loremaster Nagathi
Baffled
Beastmaster

Post by Baffled »

Yes i agree with you nagathi, thats the same thing i said about reading "send in all your results thread" in my origional post, i just didnt know the name of the thread.

The battlerepport forum is great for reading peoples stories either when in story form for a bit of good reading (while learning about different armies and situations). Or reading the straight fact reports which are good for learning new tactics and how units can perform on a battlefield.

I find it really interesting when a battle swings both ways before one army gets the upper hand, and the interest comes from not knowing who is going to win the battle. Thus posting it in a title or first line can ruin it for many of us.

@eirick blackheart - this can be annoying when people write long paragraphs which arent clearly defined, but a good way of fixing this is to write a quick summary at the end with the results for people who like to see the numbers (like me)

Maybe someone should write a guide to writing battlereports with things that are good to include. Like:

1: Title: the armies and point values of battle (dont post result)

2: Try to keep it simple and make it easy to understand, the most annoying battlereport i read was about unit ch1 going here then re2 and hy5 and things like that. It just made it overly confusing. You can keep it simple by establishing names for all the units early on, doing this in story form makes it easier to remember than a plain list. Also using diagrams can be usefull, like someone did awhile ago in paint or some other program. You can also make diagrams with txt but this could take a while and isnt as clear as a picture.

3.Post a quick overview of both/all armies in battle, this also helps keep things clear.

4. If posting in story form maybe write a quick summary of facts so people can understand the battle, this will also be for people who prefer to read straight facts.

5.Write the end of game victory points or result depending on scenario.

Well those are just a few of the things i can think of that are good to have in a a batrep, i dont want these to be strict rules but rather loose guidelines so people can include everything in a report the first time they write it.

So what do you guys think of the points i made? Am i wrong/right or miss anything? And should we start a new thread to talk about it.....?
There is no spoon.
Gurion
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gurion »

i prefer that the batrep's outcome isnt in the title and even like reading about when we lose, keeps a sense of reality...even still i put down i dont care because i dont think you can make everyone know that you cant put the outcome in the title
Andruillius
Highborn

Post by Andruillius »

No. Not announcing the outcome in the title makes it more interesting to actually read the thing. IMO.
Unofficial and self-appointed ambassador of
www.battleglade.com
Lordmalusmark
Assassin

Post by Lordmalusmark »

I dont care really, long as the strory is good i dont care bout the outcome.
-------------------------------------------
Everyone is everything, as everything is everyone.