1500 Point Tournament Report

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

1500 Point Tournament Report

Post by Vorchild »

I played in a local 3 game 1500 point tournament yesterday and came in at #1! :twisted: The list I used was as follows:

Noble (on chariot, included below), sdc, ha, shield, lance
L2 sorc on steed with wand
L2 sorc with scroll and cloak

5 DR with RXB and mus
5 DR with RXB and mus
10 RXBmen with shields and std
10 RXBmen with shields

5 harpies
3 chariots

2 RBTs

First game was against a VC list that looked something like this:

L2 necro general with book or arkhan
L2 necro with periapt
blood dragon thrall with hauberk

3 units of skellies
1 unit of wolves
2 large units of ghouls
1 unit of 5 bats
5 black knights
banshee

This guy got a perfect comp score and the award for best sportsmanship.

Units of ghouls are normally going to be my bane and two large units makes me kind of wary since they're going to be difficult to get rid of with shooting and magic. Nevertheless, I was able to deploy the RBTs in the centre with the RXBmen on a hill (both units), fast cav on each flank, and loaded the left flank with the 3 chariots (magic in centre and on right). Sort of a refused flank position, but he was doing largely the same thing, so it didn't make much difference.

He won the first turn and move things up and was able to raise some more skellies to his units. This kind of worried me since I thought that I may have ended up a bit light on the magic defence side. If he was going to be able to get both invocations off each turn, I was in for a rough ride. On my turn, I played what would effectively be my standard tactic throughout the day - shuffle and shoot. I moved up a little bit to make sure I was just in range of his bats with everything on the left (DR and 3 chariots - all of which can take on bats effectively) while also threatening most of his other units. Everything else stayed put and shot, doing fairly minimal damage all around but did destroy the wolves and reduce some ghouls.

Turn 2 he charges the bats into a chariot - bit of a gamble, but its better than having 3 chariots hit a unit of skellies all at once. Other than that, he continues to move up. This time, he again raises a few more skellies, but only one successful invocation. The chariot wins the combat with the bats by 2. My turn and I charge the DR unit into the face of a necro and will end up doing a wound to him. The chariot without the noble charges and breaks the ghouls while the noble's chariot moves for position. I do a lot of shooting on the skelly unit with the thrall in it and kill a few - but nothing serious and these guys are starting to get a bit close to my lines. Shooting does eliminate via panic the other large unit of ghouls.

Turn 3 and I've still managed to avoid combat. This time he miscasts with a wizard and ends up doing a wound to himself (and kills himself since its the same one I had wounded) and gets no spells off. The bats end up getting finished off this phase too. In my turn, I charge all three chariots into the necro unit with the general in it and turns it to paste which shooting and magicking the skelly unit with the thrall to pieces, leaving just the thrall in front of my RXBs.

Turn 4 and finally the black knights still don't get to act but the banshee does. The thrall charges a lone sorc that was in his way and which flees while the knights charge and break a chariot. The banshee moves up to a chariot and screams 3 wounds into it. Some stuff crumbles. Shooting and magic in my turn reduces the knights to 2 models, the thrall to nothing (despite his excellent save), and most of the skellies to nothing as well.

Turn 5 is pretty much where things end with him breaking a chariot which flees through a unit of DR but nothing else really. In return I kill the banshee and reduce some more models.

Final tally is a win to me by about 2000 VPs.

game 2 is against orcs:

3 big units of boyz, 3 chariots, giant, 2 units spider riders, BSB with banner of extra dispel dice.

For right now, I'm going to simply summarize things. He had no magic users and so no scrolls, so my magic was strong in many ways. He kept moving up and I largely stayed put tossing missiles into his units. The turning points came when in one turn he got a bit too close with his general's unit to my chariots and 2 of them caught him. Won the combat by about 5 and he broke and got run down. 1 turn later, he fails a charge on my RBTs (I flee which then make him just out) and counter charge with my RXBmen with the banner in the flank and break that unit too. The giant chased a unit of DR off the table and was then pretty much out of the game and the spider riders got shot pretty quick and his chariots never made contact with anything owing to failed fear checks and me shooting at them. Later I'd get a dual flank charge on his final unit of boyz with the BSB with DR on one side and a chariot on the other which broke and ran them down.

Final tally was a victory by about 1800 VPs to me.

Game 3 was against dwarfs. 2 units of warriors with heroes with oathstones inthem, unit of thunderers, 2 bolt throwers, 1 cannon, gyrocopter, slayers, and a unit of longbeards. He got first turn and destroyed 2 of my chariots in quick succession with shooting. In return, I destroyed his thunderers. Turn 2 sees his gyrocopter kill some DR but not much else from shooting. In return, I destroy the copter from shooting and magic and charge in with DR and harpies against a couple war machines - I don't break either one though, unfortunately and in the next turn, I get counter charged and I lose both units in the end. Still, I'm moving around and letting missiles loose here and there and doing some damage. It becomes a bit of a shooting game with the exception that I'm forced to charge the slayers with my remaining chariot and the noble who's now on foot and they get held up for a good long while unfortunately. My sorc goes down to a cannon shot by the second unit of DR manages to get revenge by killing the cannon crew while shooting and magic destroy the longbeards.

Final tally is about 200 VPs in my favour which is a draw.

All in all a very successful go with that list. My comp scores were good, but my sports scores not so much as I'd like. Don't have a cheesy list, but played it in a cheesy way. ;) I also was very fortunate to only fail 2 stupidity tests the entire day and I think only roll greater than 9 3 times for Ld checks the entire day, which is incredibly lucky considering the odds (I also never rolled less than 4).

But I think I need to move away from the mobile gunline for a bit now and bring in some more combat oriented troops. :twisted:
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?