Giant Fanatic

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Giant Fanatic

Post by Dark Alliance »

This is the army I used this weekend at the Giant Fanatic tourney in Copenhagen. It placed 3rd :D

Dreadlord - ha, sdc, Executioners Axe, Null Talisman

BSB - ha, sdc, great weapon, ring of hotek

Level 2 - scroll
Level 2 - scroll, darkstar cloak

5 Harpies
5 Harpies
19 Spears - full command and war banner
19 Corsairs - full command and frenzy banner
10 rxbs
10 rxbs - full command, shield

Assassin - cloak, rune of khaine, manbane

18 Black Guard - full command, crimson death, asf banner
5 Shades - gw

Hydra

As the days go by I will reveal the stories behind the ring of hotek taking down a Great Unclean One ... and the BG getting charged in the front and rear by fully ranked ghoul units full of VC characters - and then popping them!!! :twisted:
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

Congratulations, Mr. Moore! One request? Please hurry up with these stories? I looove reading about glorious victories and equally heavy defeats!
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Interesting army, quite slow but seems quite sturdy. I presume the assasin played a big role in your wins?

Oh and about the wins, hurry and post them!! :)
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Trash 'em
Trainee Warrior

Post by Trash 'em »

Hey Gary,

it was nice talking to you, though it was just for a short time. As I said to you, it's a very nice looking army you have so please post some pics of it in the gallery...it deserves the attention :D

Oh, and let's have that report soon please.

Cheers
Thomas
Anything but a 1
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Gonna start writing up the reports today, so look out for them tomorrow.
Arhain cynath
Shade

Post by Arhain cynath »

Roger! I'll be here to read them!
My body is dedicated to our King, but my weapon and hatred are dedicated to Khaine!!
- Arhain Cynath, the Red Dragon of Har Ganeth
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

GAME 1 vs Typical Empire army (stank, waltar, 2 cannons, hellblaster, knights, 2 x outriders blah blah boring blah...)

This was an uninteresting game against my least favourite opponent and started the tourney for me thinking "Geez, why did I bother paying all this money...".
Anyhows, the scenario was capture the lighthouse and I spent the majority of the game in 'discussions' with my opponent which resulted in our only being at turn 3 15mins from the end of a 3 hour game slot ;)

I was up at this point and we ended up rushing through 2 more turns as my opponent tried valiantly to retake the game. A lucky failure for him, by me, to dispel 2 d6 strength 4 using 3 dice plus MR1 made a massive hole in my BG which were holding the objective after bending his lord over.

Game result was a draw but despite my having the greater victory point value it still ended a draw for some reason.

The highlight of the game for me was my BG and xbows charging the Waltar in the front (xbows had to go in as well 'coz they were in the way) - him challenging and confidently announcing the speculum, only to have that smug look disappear when I announced I was gonna use my 2 attacks to spank the Altar with the Axe! xbows ran the fleeing lord down :lol: :lol:

Time for lunch now and Asger's caterers ran the best bbq burgers. This was the start of the best tourney food we have had for ages :D
Mcpolle
Warrior

Post by Mcpolle »

Hi gary,

Sorry to have missed you at GF, question for you, how were the corsairs for you, with the frenzy banner??

Polle
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

They were awesome and never got baited once! BG and the ring were the game winners though. I nearly finished reports 2 and 3 so watch this space!

Check your facebook acc btw...been trying to contact ya there
Cisse
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cisse »

Dark Alliance wrote:GAME 1 vs Typical Empire army (stank, waltar, 2 cannons, hellblaster, knights, 2 x outriders blah blah boring blah...)

Well don't be too hard on him, how else could he field an army that stands a chance at the competitive tournies? Besides, like you've shown, it's a list that can be beaten with some weaknesses waiting to be used against it (like you did with the AL on WA and with the speculum). Still, I hate the list too, even though I play Empire as well.
B1B
Trainee Warrior

Post by B1B »

Congrats on the 3rd place. What armies placed 1st, 2nd?

I will be going to my first tourney ever in 3 weeks and was thinking of using a similar list to yours however I was wondering what you would change to get down to 2200 points and/or what would you have changed period?

I was thinking of changing out the DS cloak for the Sacrificial dagger. Good or bad idea?

Also I was going to include Kouran instead of just a champion in the BG, good or bad idea?

note: game times are limited to 2 hours (so I was thinking that more shooting may work better...)

Thanks,
Rob
Haplo
Highborn

Post by Haplo »

Hi DA

Nice result for a first time at a danish tournament! I see you went with the flying axe of execution list :twisted: Did you get anything usefull out of the potentiel flying dreadlord?

The guy with the great unclean one, with too much gas is a buddy of mine, so nice job there ;) Too bad I didn't go myself, but a busy study start keept me from it
Trash 'em
Trainee Warrior

Post by Trash 'em »

B1B wrote:Congrats on the 3rd place. What armies placed 1st, 2nd?

Thanks,
Rob

1st place was vampire counts and second place was another dark elf army :D

-Thomas
Last edited by Trash 'em on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anything but a 1
Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Benji »

1st was VC 2nd was DE Wood Elves 4th ;)

Ben
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

GAME 2 v Daemons - Great Unclean One, Tzeentch Herald, Nurgle BSB(with the staff), 2 x flesh hounds, furies, flamers, plaguebearers, horrors and bloodletters, 1 bloodcrucher.

The scenario was wyrdstone hunt where you need to gather shards.

He got first turn and advanced, failing to cast much due to my dice and both my scrolls. In my first turn I bait one unit of flesh hounds with my spear block and jockey around a little. He chose to apply the banner of sundering to fire magic (I had chosen it and dark) - but it had no effect against an irresistable conflagration of doom which took out half the plaguebearers!! :twisted:

He repaid this favour in turn 2 by taking out the back 2 ranks of my BG with rancid visitation! My spears beat the flesh hound charge (they lost again in the next combat against my spears and subsequently died in turn 3). The Hydra starting absorbing the fire from the flamers, who had started to retreat as my monster eyed them lovingly...

I have a theory with the Hydra vs Flamers. I always use it to go after them as they cannot take it if I get the charge and so it is an effective way of keeping them away from the battle. On average it seems to take 3 turns for the Hydra to die.

My turn 2 was pretty uneventful and I am thinking that this is going to be a heavy loss for me as I can't control his magic, so he doesn't need to engage me to win the game. He has my magic under control...

Turn 3 and the greedy fat daemon throws 3 dice at Rancid Visitation to finish off the BG as they are now within charge range of him. This is where the 25pt ring of hotek suddenly says "NO!" - and underlines that with a double 1 roll on the miscast chart. :twisted: Get him off I yell happily.

A great turning point for me. My Assassin then flies into the Tzeentch Herald and beats the crap out of him. 2 casters down in one turn thank you very much.

The rest of the game was tricky - points denial, shard collecting/denial - I end up with a greater number of vps but I lose by 1 scenario point.

Good game. Better opponent than the last and my guys are starting to wind up.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

B1B wrote:Congrats on the 3rd place. What armies placed 1st, 2nd?

I will be going to my first tourney ever in 3 weeks and was thinking of using a similar list to yours however I was wondering what you would change to get down to 2200 points and/or what would you have changed period?

Probably lose the Harpies. Alternatively I would change the gw to ahw on the Shades, and fiddle a few points off the core units.

I was thinking of changing out the DS cloak for the Sacrificial dagger. Good or bad idea?

The spearblock is awesome as a combat unit. I used to use the dagger in that unit but I found it better to use the cloak, and keep the combat res.

Also I was going to include Kouran instead of just a champion in the BG, good or bad idea?

Bad idea. Too many points. Too easy to kill.

note: game times are limited to 2 hours (so I was thinking that more shooting may work better...)

Thanks,
Rob
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Hah! and I bet that daemon player now considers RoH broken, cheesy and thinks it should be banned! :P
Great Unclean One was called home by pappy Nurgle ;)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

He wasn't happy about it that's for sure...

@Dalamar: you around this weekend btw? It's the GT.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Working on saturday but I'll definitely drop by on sunday. Heck, might even pay a visit on saturday before work.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

who is around for the GT this weekend? i'll be playing
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I'm head referee. Come say Hi
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

GAME 3 - vs Undead - my favourite opponent of the whole tourney, irrespective of the story which will unfold...

Typical VC army - lord level 3, BSB, 3 Vamps, Ghouls, Grave Guard, Black Knights, Black Coach, Dogs, Bats etc

The scenario was Baggage Train where you got scenario points for having the most units closest to the cart at the end of each turn.

I go first and head towards the cart with my Corsairs and a unit of rxbs. Black Guard head up the middle. Magic and shooting pretty uneventful but I have a unit of Harpies eying up the Knights. He advances and again nothing particularly exciting happens.

Turn 2 one unit of Harpies charge the side of a Ghoul unit looking to attack the Vampire - they promptly experience the Nightshroud! The second unit of Harpies position themselves so as to give his Knights an overun into my Black Guard - I'm thinking "he won't fall for this surely..."

He does and the Knights go hell for leather into my BG as the Harpies flee. In the combat phase my BG kill the entire unit of Knights as well as the BSB. This clears the way for me to advance on the Grave Guard which are protecting the Lord's bunker of Ghouls.

Turn 4 is when I get this charge in to the front of the Grave Guard. The Hydra has managed a sneaky charge into the side of the Lord's bunker because a ring of hotek miscast ended the magic phase for my opponent in turn 3, and allowed me freedom of movement.

The BG are outstanding as I fight this combat first, destroying them and getting the overun into the front of the Lord's unit. Dead. All dead and the crumble tests begin....

There is more to this story though as the Black Coach mounts a comeback!!

Watch this space... ;)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Go Dark Elves! Congrats on your 3rd place! :D

As for Dagger and Spears... I usually play 25 with shields and a Sorceress with Dagger inside. That's usually enough to sac a few and still retain full combat ability for the later turns.

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Played Nurgle/Tzeentch Daemons this saturday as well with the Ring making my opponent cry (though not quite as bad as in your case :lol: but his GDoN lost a magic level and his best spell during the first magic phase)... it turned 2 IFs into Miscasts (and almost the 3rd... out of range by like a tenth of an inch).

RV is a nasty spell... made short work of my spears (after 5 or so failed T checks ;)).
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Dark Alliance wrote:This is where the 25pt ring of hotek suddenly says "NO!" - and underlines that with a double 1 roll on the miscast chart.

Just a quick query. Wouldn't the Great Daemon of Nurgle miscast anyway (I mean without the effect of the Ring of Hotek) because he rolled a double one? If so then... He doubled miscast! Freakin' sweet!

EDIT: My mistake. I read the sentence wrong. Disregard this post. :oops:
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Aquidas
Slave on the Altar

Post by Aquidas »

Dark Alliance wrote:GAME 3 - vs Undead - my favourite opponent of the whole tourney, irrespective of the story which will unfold...

Typical VC army - lord level 3, BSB, 3 Vamps, Ghouls, Grave Guard, Black Knights, Black Coach, Dogs, Bats etc

The scenario was Baggage Train where you got scenario points for having the most units closest to the cart at the end of each turn.

I go first and head towards the cart with my Corsairs and a unit of rxbs. Black Guard head up the middle. Magic and shooting pretty uneventful but I have a unit of Harpies eying up the Knights. He advances and again nothing particularly exciting happens.

Turn 2 one unit of Harpies charge the side of a Ghoul unit looking to attack the Vampire - they promptly experience the Nightshroud! The second unit of Harpies position themselves so as to give his Knights an overun into my Black Guard - I'm thinking "he won't fall for this surely..."

He does and the Knights go hell for leather into my BG as the Harpies flee. In the combat phase my BG kill the entire unit of Knights as well as the BSB. This clears the way for me to advance on the Grave Guard which are protecting the Lord's bunker of Ghouls.

Turn 4 is when I get this charge in to the front of the Grave Guard. The Hydra has managed a sneaky charge into the side of the Lord's bunker because a ring of hotek miscast ended the magic phase for my opponent in turn 3, and allowed me freedom of movement.

The BG are outstanding as I fight this combat first, destroying them and getting the overun into the front of the Lord's unit. Dead. All dead and the crumble tests begin....

There is more to this story though as the Black Coach mounts a comeback!!

Watch this space... ;)

I just have to comment on this one, since I'm the VC-player in question:

1.) You baited the knights with x-bows, not harpies ;)

2.) I see no mention of my 15 ghouls slapping your corsairs silly... :P

Aside from the above, thanks again for the warhammer-lesson :)

AQ / Marcus