Welcome to the D.net Battle Records 09 Season.

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

Username: Cathel
Result: Draw
Game Size: 1000
Opponent's Army: Skaven
Special Circumstances: none
50-100 Word Summary:
2 engineers (full lighnint kit, one with storm daemon, one warp scroll), chieftain, 6 Jezzails, 20 clanrats, 20 stromvermin, 20 slaves, 5 nightrunners, 6 globadiers, 2 ratlings.
5 COK, 5 DR, 10 witches, lv2 with FF, 6 shades, 5 harpies, 10 rxb, hydra
I know that a hydra in a small game is brutal, but so are 6 jezz and two ratlings.

I could not counter the magic and the shooting was murderous. The Skaven even managed 2 kills in a round when they needed 7s due to word of pain (4 *six , 2 *4 resulting in 2 hits out of 6 shots). Jezzails gave tremendous amounts of fire without malfunction. Luckily it was mostly wasted on my Hydra.
My shooting was horribly the whole combat over, hitting little wounding even less. On the plus side I managed to get my witches to a lightly armoured enemy and see them to full effect. After that I saw them loosing to the storm vermin, 3+ AS is too much for them.
In the end the hydra saved the day by devastating the storm vermin and catching them.
The sorc was sitting in a wood and used her FF to full effect.

Lessons learned:
More bodies, I fielded not enough troops. Best example were the COK, each hit by the jezzails killed one, for the same points I could have had 20 warriors. Playing some elite troops doesn't cut it vs masses.

@Zardock:
Enough for first place?;)
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

So here is the Table as it stands as of this update I'm moving it to this post so I do not have to keep jumping back and forth all over the thread.

64 - Cathel (78, 14 )
62 - Alkatchoff (86, 24 )
48 - The Golden Arrow (60, 12 )
40 - niceas (48, 8 )
39 - 22over7 (54, 15 )
28 - Romulus68 (35, 7 )
26 - Omnichron (33, 7 )
23 - Thomus Darkblade (28 ,5 )
18 - Vicinity (22, 4 )
15 - Archon_Matt (18, 3 )
15 - Silverheimdall (18, 3 )
15 - WalrusM3 (20, 5 )
13 - Dangerous Beanz (19, 6 )
10 - Aspiring Executioner (12, 2 )
10 - Cat-the-odd (14, 4 )
10 - Coeur de Lion (14, 4 )
10 - Dalamar (12, 2 )
10 - fea Keme (12, 2 )
10 - LordMonkey (12, 2 )
8 - SkaerKrow (11, 3 )
5 - Camaris (6, 1 )
5 - Gear22 (8, 3 )
5 - Layne (8, 3 )
5 - Malcom (8, 3 )
5 - Mekhet (6, 1 )
5 - Rebmonk (6, 1 )
5 - shinankoku (6, 1 )
5 - Wrath (6, 1 )
3 - - Human (4, 1 )
3 - Malekith's psychologist (5 , 2 )
3 - Sirius Dragonbrood (4, 1 )
0 - Fuzzydeath (1, 1 )

We have a new D.net Champion!, Cathel takes 1st place!

Good job Cathel :P Unfortunately and hopefully, Alkatchoff is returning soon and he should give you some competition for the top spot!

@Alkatchoff, better get back in the game, things are heating up.

@Everyone else, also get back in the game, not enough victories for the Druchii lately!.
Last edited by Zardock on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Niceas
Warrior

Post by Niceas »

Username: niceas
Result: Win
Game Size: 1500
Opponent's Army: Warriors of Chaos
Special Circumstances: Small tournament
50-100 Word Summary: He played a Throgg oriented theme. He advanced in as tight a manner as he was able (he failed a couple of stupidity tests) while I picked away at his flanks. On turn 4, my Hydra went toe-to-toe with his Shaggoth and with the additional support of the Cauldron of Blood was able to kill the Shaggoth. The Hydra over-ran into the flank of Throgg's unit, and on the following turn buckled it. The game ended pretty shortly afterwards. Superstars of the match were the Harpies I brought, as they caused havoc for his army.

Opponent's Army: Dwarves
50-100 Word Summary: My opponent brought a fair amount of shooting, but the board had no hills, so I was able to effectively screen my army with my harpies until I was able to engage in hand to hand. After many turns of combat he was able to drive off my Hydra, but by then the rest of my army had engaged and had torn apart the rest of his forces. Again, the MVP of the fight were the Harpies, as they managed to completely nullify his superior firepower.

Opponent's Army: High Elves
50-100 Word Summary: Significantly outgunned, I was able to collapse the left flank with the Hydra and a unit of Cold One Knights, killing the enemy general. This proved quite decisive as my Harpies had more or less prevented my opponent from engaging up until this point. By the end of the fight, I had lost the majority of my forces, but because I had crushed all of the HElves melee troops and characters, I had the nod on victory points.

50-100 Word Summary: My opponent brought several large blocks of infantry supported by a pair of level 2 casters. I played a delaying game, and was able to pick off his general when he strayed from one of his units (he didn't realise that a Hydra can charge 12"). I draged his forces out and thanks to a couple of miscasts generated by the Ring of Hotek, he lost both of his casters by turn 4. When the game was finally called, he was busy grinding through my units, but the damage had been done. I carried a solid victory, although if the game had lasted one or two more turns it could very easily have been going the other way.
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

Result: Win (Massacre)
Opponent's Army: High elves
Special Circumstances:None
50-100 Word Summary: He played cav heavy: 1*5 light, 1*5 DP and two lion chariots, 15 spears, 1 eagle, 2 mages(lvl2) and 15 PG with sorcery banner (again).
2*10 rxb, 2*5 DR, 5 harpies, 1 COC, 2 lvl2, master on DP, 5 COK, Hydra, 6 shades
I wanted to use magic again and opted for shooting heavy.
He took lore of life and beasts. Most dangerous spells to me were rainlord and beast cowers and wolf hunts.

He got first move and advanced across the board. His DP had the "move through forest" standard and parked themselves in a wood close to my lines in partial cover. My COK saw, charged and autobroke them. Flee, catch, all in my turn one ;)
Shooting and magic reduced his chariots to 1 and 2 wounds. Which was very nice because one rxb unit was deployed in a wood and he stood before them and did not dare to charge because of terrain hits.
My shades were unlucky to receive an 1st round charge from the reavers due to wolf hunt, but to my surprise held till round 3, killing 4 reavers.

The eagle took two consecutive charges from DR which did him.
One of his chariots was right in front of mine and I had to charge, even though it meant exposing me to a countercharge. He fled and I sat in open terrain and got a charge from PG. The chariot held for two phases, the pursuit took him into my rxb, which held him for a rear charge by COK.
The PG (brave but foolishly) held for 2 turns and got squished.

By my turn 5 everything but one mage was gone, who was liable to receive either 40 shots and the spells or two charge from DR.

Altogether I lost ~300 points (harpies, shades, COC) and made 2300 vp back.
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
Men run naked - Asrai
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Up to Date!

Zardock (Group 27)

Niceas
Warrior

Post by Niceas »

Special Circumstances: New player
50-100 Word Summary: So... the store manager played a cruel trick on one of his buddies who just got into Fantasy. My opponent is a regular 40k guy, but this was his first fantasy game. The manager told me before the game that he was a real jerk, and an old hand at Fantasy, and that he'd play dumb like he was a new player in order to shark opponents.

Needless to say, to the mirth of the store staff, the game was over by the end of turn two, and my opponent was sitting there wondering what happened. I'm pretty sure he'd decided that I was an absolute jerk. Then the manager came over and fessed up about the ruse (he'd introduced me as a fantastic player to play your first game against, and easy to beat to boot).

Anyways, I felt bad - but at least I can blame the manager for being the jerk.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Should I really count this game? Seems sort of one sided? Not really a game per say.

Zardock (Group 27)

Niceas
Warrior

Post by Niceas »

Heh - fine by me. It WAS one sided. Apparently he's quite good at 40k, but not so much at fantasy.

Special Circumstances: Throgg list
50-100 Word Summary: One of my opponents from the last tourney wanted a rematch, so we played with the same lists. He played a much tighter game, however I was quite lucky. Lore of Fire makes a huge difference against this list. My Hydra and his Shaggoth danced around for most of the game - neither really had a large impact. Other than that, he was able to kill off all my melee troops (Blackguard, Executioners, Cold One Knights) and he was able to more-or-less minimize the impact my harpies had on his game. He was too hesitant to commit, however, and as a result I was able to pick him apart as he advanced towards me. A fun game, and certainly a lot closer than the end result indicated (it was a massacre, according to the points).
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Up to Date.

I've decided to instigate a new special circumstance. Basically you will get 1 extra point if a specified unit for the month does something wacky or fun in a game. These Wacky/Fun things will be specified at a later date.

I think this will reward players for getting out of sticky situations. Also the previous idea didn't work because limitting playstyles just wasn't going to work....

Zardock (Group 27)

Niceas
Warrior

Post by Niceas »

Opponent's Army: Vampire Counts
Special Circumstances: Tournament
50-100 Word Summary: My opponent brought a relatively magic light list (read: 5 powerdice). We both learned a bit about some of the rules. The harpies were really superstars again, as they forced re-directs several times on my opponent, which allowed the rest of my troops to get into position. The game was pretty even until the Hydra hit his BSB with killing blow, and then the VC started to buckle. In the end, a solid victory, but it could have gone the other way - on the second turn I killed his vargulf with a fireball!

Opponent's Army: Beastmen
50-100 Word Summary: I have never really had difficulties with beastmen in the past - but when my opponent announced that he had 8 powerdice I started to worry. Fortunately, several miscasts later, magic had become less of a problem. For most of the game, a large portion of his army was perpetually fleeing, and after the first couple of turns it was more or less a forgone conclusion. They really need to do something to help the beasts' leadership.

Opponent's Army: Bretonians
50-100 Word Summary: A building in the centre of the board was the objective, and ended up deciding the game. My opponent ended up losing 2/3 of his knights to the building- one unit broke in combat and fled into the building, and the other failed a panic test and fled into the building. My opponent was a good sport about it, and on the whole it was an enjoyable game - and without a building in the middle of the table, I suspect the game would have been much harder fought.

The end result of the tournament was I ended up third - two solid victories and a massacre. Ahead of me were two other Dark Elf players, and immediately following me was another - so the top 4 positions were all held by the Druchii.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Up to date.

Man Niceas, you seem to be busting out alot of wins at the tournaments, assume it is in-store tournies?

Zardock (Group 27)

Niceas
Warrior

Post by Niceas »

Yep - a couple of different stores (one is an independent retailer, the other is a GW). I'm waiting to get my come-uppance. The VC player that I beat had terrible luck in our game (three miscasts, and a fireball killed his varghulf on turn 2...) - I know he's just looking for an opportunity to school me.

The previous tournament (before I started reporting) I went 3-1 (with Skaven). That was against a Daemons player. He plays a hard list, and I haven't had the chance to play him since - I suspect that one will also end up in the loss column.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Well you managed to shoot up the table fairly quick, good luck with the future games, don't let those Daemons and VCs push you around.

Zardock (Group 27)

Lordmonkey
Corsair

Post by Lordmonkey »

niceas wrote: The harpies were really superstars again, as they forced re-directs several times on my opponent, which allowed the rest of my troops to get into position.

Hi niceas,

I have a question. When you said your Harpies forced him to "redirect" do you mean when you angle the bases such that he must align facing a particular direction on the charge? I thought that, in the case of skirmishers, you must always align to face the charging unit.

If i'm wrong, then there's plenty of use that I haven't been getting out of my flying nasties!
Alkatchoff
Corsair

Post by Alkatchoff »

Congrats to Cathel for taking top spot! Now that summer's officially started, I'll try to give you a run for your money. Tonight started it off well with:

Username: Alkatchoff
Result: Win (Masscare)
Game Size: 2000
Opponent's Army: Empire
Special Circumstances: None
50-100 Word Summary: Simply put, my opponent had no luck. His warmachines were out of action by turn 2 because of Misfires, Harpies and magic, and Belthasar Gelt just couldn't get enough offense on his own. In the end, I lost a couple units of Dark Riders, some spearmen and a unit of Cold One Knights while my opponent had 1 Knight and a mounted captain left. I was pleasantly surprised with the Supreme Sorceress on Black Dragon, as her magic was solid, and she even broke a unit of Swordsmen with a rear charge in the game's last turn!
Alkatchoff
Corsair

Post by Alkatchoff »

One more for the record books - this time filed under my 'worst game ever' category:

Result: Loss (Masscare)
50-100 Word Summary: What a disaster. On my left flank, I lost my two units of Dark Riders to shooting from Outriders and Pistoliers, while on the right, a failed stupidity test from a Cold One Chariot meant the Corsairs had to charge alone (frenzy banner) against a block of Greatswords with BSB and Warrior Priest. That did not go well. The rest of my army collapsed under the weight of repeated Cleansing Flare spells. My Highborn on Manticore had a chance to sway the game by flanking the War Altar in the last turn. Despite having 4 strength 7 attacks, he only wounded the altar twice, and the Ward Save came through both times. The Manticore failed to Killing Blow the Lector, and was then slaughtered by the Altar's horses. Pretty much an 'everything that can go wrong will' game.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Up to date. Damn Mid-Year break did not realise freedom tasted so damn good.....

Keep up the good work.

Zardock (Group 27)

Thedemolishedman
Warrior

Post by Thedemolishedman »

Username: TheDemolishedMan
Result: Draw
Opponent's Army: Dark Elves
50-100 Word Summary: Neither army had any Magic. Mine was a combat heavy cauldron list, his was all-shooting list. Predictably I was shot to pieces, but minced everything I made contact with. Final score was 760 - 771 VP in his favour - Draw

Just noticed this thread. I'll update with my recent Dark Elf battles shortly.
2009 - Bought: 1574, Painted: 698, Sold: 18
This year I will paint more than I buy.
Oh dear! This is not going well. Isn't the second number supposed to go up too?
Thedemolishedman
Warrior

50-100 Word Summary: A shooting heavy HE list with a 10 strong Dragon prince unit vs my 3 L2's. His L2 miscast on turn 1 and allowed me cast Black Horror on the Princes - killed 7. Game over really opponent conceded in turn 2.

We then rolled again for sides and played again.

50-100 Word Summary: Same army as above. My Opponent was relived when I did not roll Black Horror, but and IF Soul Stealer on T2, followed by another on T3 delivered the fatal blow. His shooting just couldn't match mine once his Bolt Throwers had been swamped by Shades and/or Harpies.
Thedemolishedman
Warrior

50-100 Word Summary: An all cavalry list vs my 3 L2's, I was testing out adding an Assassin to the list. A house just outside my deployment gave me a secure place for my sorceresses. The harpies delayed the arrival of knights until they'd been much reduced giving me enough time to destroy the supporting troops.
Thedemolishedman
Warrior

50-100 Word Summary: A mixed HE list, shooting supported by small units of Dragon Princes, Silver Helms and Reavers. My list was 3 L2's again. He had a house in his deployment zone where he hid his L2 and Reaver Bow noble, plus a unit of archers. His Bolt Throwers were badly positioned though, and I managed to deploy where they struggled to get a shot. Magic missles and Lifetaker proved up to the task of destroying the unit in the house, allowing my L2's to run riot later. Massacre to the Druchii.
Thedemolishedman
Warrior

50-100 Word Summary: A modified version of the all cavalry list I'd played against earlier - this time with a unit of Trolls to root people from buildings. This time I took my no-magic combat cauldron list. My opponent has written a detailed report of this game which can be found here http://john-graham.me.uk/?p=116#more-116 You've got to love Killing Blow. Another win for the Druchii.
Alkatchoff
Corsair

Post by Alkatchoff »

Result: Loss (Solid Loss)
50-100 Word Summary: Another game that looked promising but went south quickly. The Supreme Sorceress on Pegasus exploded in a miscast (snake eyes) in turn 1, and the army struggled to deal with the large amount of bound spells it faced. The Hydra/Dark Rider flank did great, taking out several units and setting up a couple of crucial combined charges with a Warrior block and a Cold One Chariot, as long as they survived one turn. Instead, the Dark Riders lost one model to Burning Head and panicked and the Hydra failed 6 of 7 regeneration saves from a Helblaster's shots to sink any hopes I had in winning the game. The Cold One chariot failed its stupidity test the following turn and made it official.
Gh9st
Shade

Post by Gh9st »

Username: Gh9st
Result: Loss
Opponent's Army: Orcs and Goblins
Special Circumstances: Small Tourney, my 500DE, friends 500 Lizard
50-100 Word Summary:
A close game, though it could have gone better...I suspected fanatics in a night goblin unit, but to savour the look on the face of my ally I said nothing...it went badly for us when three burst out and demolished his temple guard. My dark elves played okay and ended up my lone sorceress against O&G Big Boss and Rock lobber. Unfortunately a direct hit from the Rock Lobber put an end to my circling tactic.

Opponent's Army: O&G, Lizards
Special Circumstances: Same Tourney
50-100 Word Summary:
I wasn't expecting to win, as my lizard friend didn't know about assassins I took a lot, including Shadowblade. The lack of core troops, and pretty much nothing else meant I wasn't looking for much except a trouncing. Luckily Shadowblade performed well above what I expected. After appearing and killing a Salamander he tied up a unit of Temple Guard for 4 turns, and in the last two a unit of Wolf Riders took its time to come and help. I wasted one assassin charging the Lizard Steg, but in the end I managed a close win.

Opponent's Army: Lizards
Special Circumstances: Same Tourney, though my ally using HE instead of O&G
50-100 Word Summary:
My DEs performed brilliantly, I had a lot of luck in this game, combined with the Lizard player expecting my usual magic and assassins. I took my new unit of Executioners and a Unit of CoKs, boosted with Master and BSB. It started slow, my Execs luckily surviving a Salamander breath unscathed, before charging and making short work. My allys RBT wore down a unit of skink archers, his Hero killing off some skirmishers. My CoKs then charged the archers, killing half and forcing them to flee, before charging the Lizard Temple Guard and hero, killing eleven (I love hatred...hydra banner, etc.) and making sure the Lizard player failed his Leadership on anything but double 1s. Upon rallying they were charged again, wiping them out. After which it was soon over. The battle cementing my love of Executioners and CoKs.
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

Special Circumstances:Tried Shadestar
50-100 Word Summary:
DE: 20 shades, 2 reaper, 2*5 DR, 6 harpies, BSB with BoHG, 2 Master and assassin
HE: 20 PG, 2*7 swordmaster, 15 spears, dragon mage, 2*5 fast cav

We had some serious problems when it came to a double charge on the shadestar (how many to set up abreast), but in the end it came to a win for me. Shadestar is something I wanted to try and found boring to play.
RBT and shades took 2 rounds of shooting to kill mage and dragon. Quite a sight when 40 shots are fired.
Close combat was a tight one, when PG and one unit of swordmasters charged the star. Assassin killed one SM only with 5 attacks, characters wiped out the front rank of the PG, with my general killing his champion.
My fault was not to kill his BSB with directed attacks, which made me lose the combat (+d6 CR banner, rolled 4). I still held and with his last 2 units in CC with the monster he conceded.

I lost one DR unit and 3 from another plus 5 shades.
Men run naked - Asrai