Battle vs Warriors of Chaos @ 1500pts [PIC HEAVY]

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

- human
Adept of Khaine

Battle vs Warriors of Chaos @ 1500pts [PIC HEAVY]

Post by - human »

Now that my Dark Elves are slowly being repainted into a decently sized army (you can see better pics of the units here in my painting blog http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=59536), I decided to take my little infantry horde for a spin against a Tzeentch Warriors of Chaos army. It was a fun little mission where the one and only objective was to take the central hill.

My list:
HEROES
Master – Crimson Death, Armour of Darkness
Master – BSB, Pendant, Null Talisman, HA, SDC, Great Weapon

CORE
20 Warriors – Full Command, Shields, Banner of Murder
10 Crossbowmen – Shields
10 Crossbowmen – Shields

SPECIAL
17 Black Guard – Full Command, Ring of Hotek, Banner of Hag Graef
15 Executioners – Draich-Master, Musician
5 Shades – Great weapons

RARE
2 Reapers

The Chaos list consisted of roughly the following:
2 Tzeentch Sorcerors
15 Warriors w/ shields & command
12 Warriors w/ shields
2 x 5 Warhounds
2 x 5 Knights w/ command
1 Chariot

My BSB was deployed in the Black Guard, while the General was placed in the unit of 20 spears. The enemy placed a sorcerer in each warrior unit, and they both rolled spells #1 (Flickering Fire; random magic missile) and #4 (Treason; all models in unit attack themselves) from the lore of Tzeentch.

Deployment
I deployed fairly centrally with more weight on my right flank, because of the speed and killing power the 2 units of Chaos Knights were capable of. I didn’t have a hill and there was a lot of intervening terrain, so my Reapers were placed at the ends of my battle line in order to get some decent lanes of fire. My Shades started on the left flank behind the cottage in order to assist my weaker left flank. Chaos won the roll to go first.

Chaos Turn 1
The battle started with a general advance for the whole Chaos army, with the 2 hound units acting as missile screens for the chariot and knights. Flickering Fire was cast, burning to death two crossbow-wielding elves on the left flank.

Dark Elves Turn 1
My big Warrior and Black Guard marched towards the hill, while the other parts of my army took a more cautious approach. The opening volleys from the crossbow units each wiped out a unit of Warhounds, giving the Reapers a chance to fire at the more valuable targets behind. The heavily armoured Northmen proved to be much tougher to kill, as the Warriors and Chariot shrugged off volley fire and a single bolt from the bolt throwers, respectively. Only the Shades were able to bring down two of the foot-knights, their bolts finding key openings in the enemy armour.

Chaos Turn 2
The Chaos units moved up once more, the smaller unit of Warriors taking up a key position on the hill with the larger unit protecting its flank nearby. The Chariot rumbled forwards to support the infantry line, while the 2 units of knights on the far right flank moved to set up some turn 3 charges. The magic phase saw Treason of Tzeentch cast on the Executioners, who were within 12” of the Ring of Hotek. The Chaos Sorceror rolled a double 5 and a 3, but the smile on my face was quickly gone as he re-rolled the 2nd 5 with the help of Blood of Tzeentch (re-roll a single casting dice per turn). I was lucky to see only 3 Executioners fall to each other’s blades.

Dark Elves Turn 2
With hateful curses the Black Guard declared a charge on the Warriors on the hill. Evidently the Chaos scum were wily followers of Tzeentch, as the unit fled, leaving the Black Guard open for a flank charge from the larger Warrior unit. Undaunted, the Shades lifted their great weapons and charged into the flank of the mighty chariot, hoping to destroy the lumbering machine with their heavy blades. The 2 crossbow units advanced, the one on the right flank hoping to draw the Knights into a trap. Finally, the Warriors with my General turned to face a potential flank charge from the Knights. Combined shooting from the Reapers and point-blank repeater crossbows brought down several of the larger unit of Warriors as well as 2 Knights from the front-most unit. In combat, though the Shades had brought heavy weapons to the fight, they still failed to damage the great Chariot and instead were cut down like wheat before the halberd-carrying crew. The lone remaining Shade turned and fled, clearly no match for the Chaos monstrosity.

Chaos Turn 3
The fleeing Chaos Warriors rallied to the nearby sounds of their brethren crashing into the Dark Elven lines. On the right flank the crossbows turned and fled, hoping to draw the knights into charge range of the Executioners, but the Knights were faster than anticipated and ploughed into the guard of Har Ganeth. The other unit of knights charged headlong into the front of the Spearmen unit, the Champion accepting a challenge from my General. Lastly, the large unit of Warriors beside the hill charged the Black Guard in the flank, hoping to reduce the number of enemy models attacking back. The Chariot attempted to charge the repeater crossbows on the left flank, but they fled and outran it.

Combat saw the Executioners devastated by the Chaos Knights, who were too busy slaying the elves to catch the fleeing remainder. The other unit of knights, expecting similar results with the common Dark Elf troopers, maimed almost 2 entire ranks before the Dark Elven general stepped into their midst, bringing down the enemy Champion with his magical halberd. Although many of their number had fallen, the inspiring actions of their leader as well as the nearby Battle Standard kept them in the fight. Finally, while the Black Guard were bested on the flank, the hardened veterans easily held their ground. Image

Dark Elves Turn 3
While the fleeing units rallied, the Warriors and Black Guard were fighting for their lives with the Chaos elites, and the Reapers were finally able to damage the heavy Chariot. While the Knights chopped down several more Dark Elf Warriors, The Druchii general once again proved his worth by impaling two Chaos Knights. Outnumbered and no match for the Dark Elf noble, the remaining knights fled, the Dark Elves pursuing close behind. Meanwhile, although the Black Guard were unable to kill more than a single Chaos Warrior, the Druchii Battle Standard Bearer brought down the enemy champion with his great weapon in a duel. This saw the Chaos unit turn and flee, only to be run down by the Dark Elves who then continued their assault into the flank of the Chariot. Aside from the Executioners, the momentum of the battle seemed to have shifted.

Chaos Turn 4
The Chaos Knights pursuing the Executioners once again crashed into the Draich-wielding elves. While the strength of the Knights was enough to crush the Executioners, and their Chaos Armour enough to turn aside their great weapons, it was the weapon skill of the executioners that was the key to their survival. Hours of practicing with their Draichs turned out to be their saviour, as many of the elves were able to parry the blows of the Knights and Chaos Steeds.

In the middle of the battlefield, the smaller unit of Chaos Warriors once again marched to claim the top of the crucial hill. The fleeing knights, however, were not so bold and were not eager to once more face the halberd-wielding Druchii noble. On the far left flank, while the halberds of the Black Guard were unable to damage the Chaos Chariot, the Battle Standard Bearer smashed the machine apart with tremendous blows of his great sword.

Dark Elves Turn 4
With most of the Chaos units dispatched, the Black Guard and Warriors lined up to chare and take the hill from the Chaos Warriors, some of whom were being whittled away by the nearby crossbowmen and Reaper. Although the numbers of the elves were diminished, their surviving heroes would surely carry them to victory.

Yelling a challenge, the Draich-master of the Executioners stepped forth to combat the champion of the Chaos Knights who had caused so much ruin. But as he lifted his great blade, he found himself disembowelled by the Knight’s quicker attacks. With their champion dead, the remaining Executioners fled the battle.

Chaos Turn 5
Seeing the battle lost and disregarding their orders to hold the hill, the Chaos Warriors charged down the slope and crashed into the weakened Dark Elf spearmen, hoping to kill their leader. But although they hacked down 4 elves, their general returned with blood ferociously, allowing his unit to hold along with some encouragement from the nearby Battle Standard.

Dark Elves Turn 5
The Black Guard charged in to flank the Warriors who had been barely stopped in their tracks by the spearmen. This manoeuvre put enough pressure on the Chaos Warriors to break the unit. At this point the Chaos army conceded, with my Black Guard and Warriors standing triumphantly at the middle hill. Victory to the Dark Elves!

=====================================================

It's been quite a while since I wrote up a report, or for that matter, played a game of Warhammer. I hope the pics are ok, sorry about the poor terrain situation! :oops: Please let me know if I made any rules errors, as I always do. Note also that certain details were left out, like unimportant spells and such.

This game was a real learning experience. My recent lists have included executioners and the Cauldron, which I think is a very important synergy in making the Execs more effecive. However I used them very poorly this game, and that's a tactical error and not due to any lack of synergy. This game was more about using the painted models I had, and it was really fun to play with a fully painted army.

Chaos warriors are TOUGH. The warriors, knights and chariot were damn near impossible to kill with anything but characters and lucky missile fire. Even the reapers were lucky to kill 2 Chaos Warriors with a volley.

Comments & questions much appreciated! I hope you enjoyed it.

Edit: note to self... use a flash next time.
- Human
Sirius dragonbrood
Corsair

Post by Sirius dragonbrood »

the terrain will be fine once it's painted, nice to see the amount of detail that accompanied the pics. how was your opponent with you stopping the battle every 15 mins to take photos? most of my opponents would get ticked off, or i'd forget...
Vote 1 Druchii!
Why vote for the lesser evil?
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

We all play with improvised terrain every now and then (in my case, more often then not!). Thanks for the report, love it, love the pictures, nice to see two beautifully painted armies (from what I can see :P ) clash. Great job!
Outers
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Battle vs Warriors of Chaos @ 1500pts [PIC HEAVY]

Post by Outers »

- Human wrote:Master – BSB, Pendant, Null Talisman, HA, SDC, Great Weapon

See new dark elves faq regarding Null Talisman.

THX for the battle report. Your terrain is rly nice.
Ukko
Shade

Post by Ukko »

Those are some damn fine looking armies. Nice to see people playing with less optimal builds too, have to admit it feels like more and more tournament builds are popping up in casual play.

Thanks for the report.
Deadlydeception
Corsair

Post by Deadlydeception »

I always love a report with turn-by-turn pictures. This just might be the one that inspires me to try it. Sounds like a good game, and congrats on the win 8)
Rebmonk
Shade

Post by Rebmonk »

just a quick rules question with your executioners but if they were fleeing and hit by the knights, wouldnt they continue to have to flee? or was it just that they rallied the next turn and turned around?
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

Thanks for all the repies so far. I'm glad to see some people are enjoying it.

the terrain will be fine once it's painted, nice to see the amount of detail that accompanied the pics. how was your opponent with you stopping the battle every 15 mins to take photos? most of my opponents would get ticked off, or i'd forget...

We play slowly anyways, so it wasn't a big problem. ;)

We all play with improvised terrain every now and then (in my case, more often then not!). Thanks for the report, love it, love the pictures, nice to see two beautifully painted armies (from what I can see ) clash. Great job!

Thanks. I actually own both the armies, my friend was borrowing the Chaos one. I'm looking to strip and re-paint the chaos army, as it's actually dipped with woodstain... a decent effect for chaos, but now that my painting's improved a bit I'm looking forward to re-doing them.

Those are some damn fine looking armies. Nice to see people playing with less optimal builds too, have to admit it feels like more and more tournament builds are popping up in casual play.

Yeah we decided to only use painted minis so that affected the army lists, and as a result it was a much better visual experience. Also the non-competitive nature probably made it a more fun game. For the record, I don't usually have the ASF banner in my normal lists, but I had 35 points left over and no extra models. ;)

I always love a report with turn-by-turn pictures. This just might be the one that inspires me to try it. Sounds like a good game, and congrats on the win

I love reading these kinds of reports too, which is why I decided to do one. I don't know why but 99% of the battle reports on D.net are without pictures, whereas forums like Ulthuan.net and The Warhammer Forum have lots of battle reports where you can see the beautiful armies in action.
- Human
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

Nice report, very easy to follow (largely due to pictures), and it's a pleasure to see fully painted armies!

Also, congratulations on the win. Good that you noticed yourself the big mistake in using your executioners. The way I'd use them is to protect the flank of your crossbowmen (positioning the latter in such a way that the knights, when overrunning them, would open the flank up to the executioners).

Also, it's quite interesting to see so many buildings on the table, with none of them even used in the game...
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

Also, congratulations on the win. Good that you noticed yourself the big mistake in using your executioners. The way I'd use them is to protect the flank of your crossbowmen (positioning the latter in such a way that the knights, when overrunning them, would open the flank up to the executioners)

Yeah I've gone over all the things I COULD have done with them in my head and it's now plainly obvious that it was a huge tactical blunder. Can you tell I only play a few games a year? ;)

so, it's quite interesting to see so many buildings on the table, with none of them even used in the game...

Not too clear on the rules for them, hence why they're just placed on the edges.
- Human
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Why did you have your BSB take the ASF banner and put it in the BG unit? Couldn't the BG take the ASF banner on their own and then your BSB could take something else (perhaps the Hydra Banner)? Or did you just want a hero to be in your BG unit and for the bonuses of the BSB to follow over to the BG's combat?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Lidlesspraetor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lidlesspraetor »

Great job on the report!! I have to confess that I liked reading that a whole lot better than the ones in WD, mainly because of the pics being so close to see the action.

In hindsight, would you have done the same thing with your shades? I know it didn't work, but was it worth the risk? The reason that I'm asking is b/c I'm looking to field some shades with GW, and I was curious if you would charge the chariot given the chance again, or if you would continue to pour bolts into the warriors?
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

hy did you have your BSB take the ASF banner and put it in the BG unit? Couldn't the BG take the ASF banner on their own and then your BSB could take something else (perhaps the Hydra Banner)? Or did you just want a hero to be in your BG unit and for the bonuses of the BSB to follow over to the BG's combat?

If you look again you'll see the ASF banner was on the Black Guard, not the BSB. ;)

Great job on the report!! I have to confess that I liked reading that a whole lot better than the ones in WD, mainly because of the pics being so close to see the action.

In hindsight, would you have done the same thing with your shades? I know it didn't work, but was it worth the risk? The reason that I'm asking is b/c I'm looking to field some shades with GW, and I was curious if you would charge the chariot given the chance again, or if you would continue to pour bolts into the warriors?

Thanks. In hindsight... I'm not sure. Let's do some rough numbers and find out. (Pardon my maths if they're not up to scratch!)

Hitting on 4+ with re-rolls = 3.75 hits
Wounding on 4+ = 1.875 wounds
With a 5+ save we're looking at 1-2 wounds with average dice rolls, although with decent enough armour saves this could easily be reduced to 0.

So in retrospect... There's potential there but it's still a bad idea since the thing will almost definitely be alive to hit you back with a bunch of S5 attacks against your T3 no-save elves. So it was probably a bad idea.

At the same time, however, after my shooting wiped out all the weak stuff on turn 1, they didn't have too much to do. But I think their best target would have been the smaller group of warriors, march blocking them and shooting.
- Human
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

I've thoroughly enjoyed the read and the great pictures too. I think you made only a few mistakes tactically but it didn't put you in the ditch.

@human - would you be doing anything different in what units you bring? Those chaos warriors are one solid fighting force. It just seems like they have to keep their flanks free and they're fine.

Look forward to your next report.
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

@ Dictator: Thanks for the comments.

The list I fielded wasn't about optimal army composition, It's just about fielding the nice little units of infantry that I've painted up over time.

But there are definitely changes I want to make. I enjoy the challenge that a predominantly-infantry army brings to the much stronger 7th edition Dark Elf list, so all these units will make it into my 2000 point list. At that point it's a matter of adding the Cauldron, a chariot or a unit of Knights, and maybe some harpies or a unit of dark riders.

I've been in China for the last 4 months, so I'm looking forward to returning home in a few weeks and getting back to the hobby... which means painting up my knights & chariots, flocking the whole army, and figuring out a cool colour scheme for my old 5th edition dragon! And hopefully a battle report or two ;)
- Human
Arkazath
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Arkazath »

very nice battle report. gotta love pictures. and i'm envious! you actually have terain! i'm trying to build some of mine!
"i exist to kill. let me have my tally."

dreadlord arkazath after recieving orders to cease keeping a kill tally, seeing as all murders belong to khaine.
Khalan
Trainee Warrior

Post by Khalan »

Nice report. Nice terrain and congrats on the win.
Linkinhearts666
Dark Rider

Post by Linkinhearts666 »

Totally inspiring battle report haha

Once I get my things together... well.. Im going to have to make some similar reports ^___^

Keep it upp!
Ayxxia the Shade is hiding in the shadows and waiting to attack...

Best way to get rid of a treeman is wait until the owner has it on the table in front of him and then kick him very hard in the groin from behind. When he doubles up and smacks his face intoit, he should wreck the treeman and it will teach the little bastard not to run a treeman at 750

Its the Druchii way of gaming!
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

very nice battle report. gotta love pictures. and i'm envious! you actually have terain! i'm trying to build some of mine!

It's not much, as the hills are still pink and the Playmobil stuff is a little bit out of scale. ;)

Once I get my things together... well.. Im going to have to make some similar reports ^___^

Get on it! :P Druchii.net needs more batreps with pictures. :)
- Human