2nd Place at the Dark Vortex Tournament!

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kenny_151
Executioner

2nd Place at the Dark Vortex Tournament!

Post by Kenny_151 »

Greetings fellow Druchii. I played a tournament yesterday with 63 participant and I was able to take second place! I hadn’t played competitive matches with fantasy for a long time, but I enjoyed the 3 battles. My list can be found here: http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=64417
It’s a very balanced list, as I don't like the whole Monster-theme that's going on now in fantasy, and i don't liked to go Heavy Magick, because I believe it's not that cost-effecient (or is that just me?).
Anyway, here are the three battles:

GAME 1
Alexander Verbeke, Lizardmen.
He had: Saurus on a Carnasaur with +1 Str, no armour save and a shield that rebounds magic missiles. 2 Skink priests on an ancient steg with engine of the Gods and a Scroll. 3 times 10 blowpipe skinks, 2 times 4 terradons and 2 times 6 cold one knights with champ and standard

A very beautiful looking army with albino painted lizardmen, very cool. Both armies rushed forward an met in the middle. The Carnasaur died by the torpedoed dreadlord, the 2 stegadons combo-crushed my black guards, my cold one Knight could destroy both their counterparts but got blown to smithereens by blowpipe fire afterwards. It was a very bloody but funand enjoyable battle against a great opponent, by far the best game of the day. We calculated victory points and we’ve got a draw. Alexander smiled and bought me a drink in the bar and discussed the new beastmen book. Ah, warhammer, such a nice hobby…

RESULT: DRAW

GAME 2
David Bruneel, Warriors of Chaos
He had: Sorcerer Lord of tzeentch on disk with +1 Spell, 3+ ward save VS range stuff, 1 scroll and a one use onley breath attack, a sorcerer of tzeentch on a disk with enchanted shield and some that gives +D3 or –D3 to miscast results and a ranged 2D6 Str 1 no saves attack, a Nurgle Sorcerer with a scroll on a chaos steed, 3 time 5 marauder horsemen of slaanesh with flails and musicians, 2 times 6 warhounds, 6 Khorne knights with banner and champion, 5 Nurgle Knights with magical banner that makes non-mark of nurgle make toughness test in btb and champion, a Hellcannon and a Shaghoth with great Weapon

Looked like a pain to play against. He went first and moved forward his magic phase wasn’t very good, he failed to roll of a 5 dice Gateway but didn’t miscast and wasn’t in range of the Ring of hotek, darn…. The rest was dispelled and I didn’t use any scrolls. His hellcannon fired at the Black Guards but his guessed range was to short and the disked lord used his breath attack to destroy the 5 shades who were hiding in a forest. In my turn I could kill the disked hero (with the puppet) and kill 2 Slaaneshi horsemen. It was game over in turn 4 when he misfired the Hellcannon rolling a three….my wizards rolled a double 1 and a 7. He laughed so loud when my wizard died, but it swiftly changed when he rolled for his wizard lord and the Deamons ripped up the Gateway once more to take his screaming corpse into the Void when he also rolled a Snake-Eyes. It then went from bad to worse for him. In the end he had only left a crewless hellcannon (yup, it misfired again) and a badly wounded shaghoth (1 wound left). Altough he lost, David didn’t care that much, as he enjoyed our battle and had a few good laughs (especially when both our wizard blew up). So, It became noon and the painting judges were busy looking at our armies, when me and my friends sat in the pub and once again chat about the beastmen (yes, they all seem so interested in the new beasties)

RESULT: MASSACRE WIN

GAME 3
Nico Geraerds, Deamons
He had: Bloodthirster with killing blow, re-roll to hit, 3+ save, +1 strength, flaming, herald of tzeentch on chariot with scroll and know all spells, a herald of tzeentch on foot with scroll and know all spells. 10 horrors, 10 horrors, 35 horrors, 2 times 6 flesh hounds, 6 flamers.

I was not looking forward at this game. I knew Nico had a reputation as being a very annoying player to compete against, and he hates to lose. Anyway, I deployed my army and I’ve got first turn and moved everything in position. In the magic phase I could get an irisiatable Word of Pain of against his flamers in the shooting phase I fired my bolts at the big bad Bloodthirster wounding him once a causing 2 wounds (yay!). For the rest of the game the almighty Dice Gods where on my side. I could annoy and stalk the Flesh hounds with Harpy bait and Dark Rider teasing while my shades destroyed the flamers and the crossbows crushed the chariot (but couldn’t kill the wizard). The Blood Thrirster eventually died by the hands of the Dreadlord with a calculated Torpedo Charge when he was down to 2 wounds. The Big Horror block had been slimmed down by miscasts produced by the ring of hotek and was eventually combo charged by the cold one knights and hydra in the end, I’ve lost my Black Guard, 1 unit of shades, both harpies, the wizard on steed, dark riders and half of my cold ones. He had a unit of 2 hounds on the table, a unit of 4 horrors, a unit of 6 horrors and a tzeentch wizard on foot. Nico grumped an saw his first place sink before his eyes. He didn’t say a word, packed his deamons an left the tournament without a ‘Well done’ or ‘Congratulations’.

RESULT: MASSACRE WIN

THE AFTERMATCH

The result came in, best painted was that lizardmen army I fought against in game 1. The third place went to a dark elf army with a dragon (Deathpiercer, Regeneration, pendant), scroll caddy, 5 dark riders (musician, RxB’s), 2 times 10 crossbowmen (shields), 2 times harpies, 2 times 6 shades with Great Weapons, 6 cold one knights banner, champ. Ring of hotek, 14 Black Guards with ASF banner musician and champion with Crimson Death, 2 RBT and the almighty Hydra. (I came second woohoo!)
And the first was: a dwarf (!). Unfortunately I don’t know his exact list, but he roughly had: Anvil, rune smith with 3 scrolls, a Master Engineer. 3 times 15 thunderers, 2 bolt throwers (one could explode) a cannon, 12 Miners (which he called the “The Dirty Dozon”) a gyrocopter and an organ gun

LESSONS LEARNED

Well, I first of all learned that when you don’t create death stars or big flying beasties, you can make people doubt what to shoot/cast at. Another thing I noticed is that medium magick is very cost-effective. A simple scroll caddy is wasting 150 point on something that is useless against non-magick armies and a Level 4 with two lvl 2 is to risky imo.
I was very pleased in the Dreadlord Torpedo Charge. I found it very funny to slay wounded beasts. However, I’m not sure about his equipment tough as the Ring of Darkness never made his points back…
I’m not sure if I’ll continue play with the list, but it was a nice come-back to the Druchii Army.

I hope you liked reading it.

Greetings
Kenny

p.s. I hope you could read everything, my English isn’t that well.
"In The End, Their Will Be Only Chaos"
Dreadlord taylindril
Dark Rider

Post by Dreadlord taylindril »

Well done, what a good result and sounded like alot of fun.
I do not like tournament play, I prefer champaign weekends as their is not as much presure about winning and losing, and just as much fun (and Drinking lol)
it is time for us to make war on the Asur; shed blood in khaine's name.
hail king malekith

dreadlord taylindril of hag graef
Mebrind
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Mebrind »

Nice torunament report, and congratulations on your good finish.

I've never used or thought of the Dreadlord Torpedo, but you don't seem to hot on it, saying that it never made it's points back. But the shock value seems like an amazing advantage, and like you said, just blasting into the flank of a wounded beastie. I would say you should try him a bit more before writing him off totally.

Hope to see some more tourney/battle reports from you.

P.S. I read it perfectly fine, the English is very well written
Kenny_151
Executioner

Post by Kenny_151 »

Thanks for the comments! No, the Torpedo-tactic is kinda cool and really DID made his points back, its his equipment that i'm not so sure of. Caledor's bane did his job, but it's the Ring of Darkness that didn't really do anything (I was better of using the Pendant for example). BUT more playtesting is really needed, I've only played with the list 5 times.

Thanks for reading everybody!

greetings,
Kenny
"In The End, Their Will Be Only Chaos"
Razmul
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: 2nd Place at the Dark Vortex Tournament!

Post by Razmul »

Kenny_151 wrote:Nico grumped an saw his first place sink before his eyes. He didn’t say a word, packed his deamons an left the tournament without a ‘Well done’ or "Congratulations’.

Made me smile :twisted:
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Kenny_151 wrote:Thanks for the comments! No, the Torpedo-tactic is kinda cool and really DID made his points back, its his equipment that i'm not so sure of. Caledor's bane did his job, but it's the Ring of Darkness that didn't really do anything (I was better of using the Pendant for example). BUT more playtesting is really needed, I've only played with the list 5 times.

Thanks for reading everybody!

greetings,
Kenny

Nicely done, PoK is such an obvious choice that i would be resistant to using it. Cloak of Hag Grief has a similar effect to Ring of Darkness for fewer points, and it didn't look like your charges needed a second round.

I agree with the 2 lvl 2, they give you a much better magic defence and can do some serious damage by themselves again a vulnerable opponent.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Gramnir
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Gramnir »

nice report, and GO DWARVES :D