2500 DE vs Greenskins: Slavetaking Massacre

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Fuzzydeath
Cold One Knight

2500 DE vs Greenskins: Slavetaking Massacre

Post by Fuzzydeath »

In my LGS league for this round I was matched up with an opponent only 20 vps behind me after 4 games played- we're both outside the top four and looking to get a foot in the door before the playoffs round.

My army:
General: Master w PoK, Sword of Might, HA/Shield/Cloak (placed in BG)
Supreme Sorceress w Lvl 4, 2x Scrolls, Seal of Ghrond (placed in RxB)
BSB: Master w Hydra Blade, RxB/HA/Shield/Cloak, mounted on Chariot

20 Spearelves w full CMD and Assassin w Rune of Khaine
20 Corsairs w full CMD
15 Repeater Crossbowmen
5 Dark Riders w RxB, Musician
2 units of 5x Harpies
13 Black Guard w full CMD, ASF banner
14 Witch Elves w full CMD, Rune of Khaine on Hag
Chariot
War Hydra
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

His army:
General: Grimgore (naturally placed in his Black Orc Immortals)
lvl 2 Orc Shaman, 2x Scroll
lvl 2 Night Goblin Shaman 2x Scroll
lvl 2 Night Goblin Shaman Stealy Dice Staff

2 regiments of 20 Orc Boys (orc shaman in one of them)
2x 20 Night Goblins (each with a shaman)
20 Black Orcs (with general)
2 squadrons of 5x Boar Rider heavy cav
5x Wolf Rider fast cav
9 bases of Snotlings
3x River Trolls
Doom Diver Catapult

We had a fairly mirrored deployment: my BG in the center, flanked by the Warriors and Chariots. Witch Elves, Corsairs, and Hydra on my Right flank (in front of my Artillery) and Crossbowmen and Fast cav on my left flank (which was largely protected by a ruin)

His Immortals were flanked by Orc Boys, Boar riders, and the River Trolls. A unit of Night goblins were on each end of his line, and his fast cav lined up in front of his own artillery, which was on opposite corner of the table from mine. His massive snotling horde ended up reinforcing his weak flank opposite my Hydra, Witch elves, and Corsairs.

Round 1:
Both of my chariots were stupid. But, I planned on them falling behind a bit in an echelon formation led by the BG anyway, so I just slowed the BG down to maintain my pretty inverted V with the slower than expected chariot advance. My Hydra darted out in to the middle of the field, daring something (looking at you, trolls) to break out of the greenskin battle line to do something about it. I moved my Harpies up, looking to draw any fanatics out next turn. My fast cav whip around the ruin and pepper the wolf riders with bolts, who amazingly pass their panic check. With nothing yet in range I passed on my magic phase, and my artillery was unable to force a panic check on the dice-stealing shaman's goblin regiment.

He had an amazing animosity round. Most of his army was either 1s or 6s, and made a mess of his battle line. Compounding the issue, his snotlings got in the way of 2 of the 6s so he didn't even get full benefit. He made as orderly an advance he could, leaving the crush for later. One of his goblin regiments marched up into 8" of my harpies (lurking near a ruin) and unleashed his fanatics.. thru my harpies and into the ruin. My harpies are wiped out, but so are his fanatics as they hit the terrain. His fast cav takes cover behind a hill from my dark riders, but a squadron of heavy boar boys come off the battle line to protect his Doom Diver from my flanking cav. During his magic phase I let Mork'll Fix it (or was it Gork?) go off on the Hydra, counting on my regen save. It only suffered 2 wounds, and when another shaman went to cast it on my chariot, had the dice available to stop it, without having had to expend a valuable scroll yet.

Round 2:
My regular chariot isn't stupid, but my character-driven one is again >.<
I'm looking at charging my hydra, witch elves, and corsairs all into that massive line of snotlings, and blowing thru onto some juicy goblins behind them. Unfortunately, it'll have to be next turn at the earliest, so I maneuver my Hydra laterally to make room for the infantry. I swing my suriviving harpiy unit around a wood to force any remaining fanatics from the other night goblin unit, hopefully in a safe direction (away from my impending frontal assault). He sends 2 fanatics at the harpies; only 1 reaches but only 1 harpy survives. Against the odds, I pass my panic test.
With repeated stupidity going on with my chariots, my planned advance has to go slower. I wheel my warriors out a bit in front of my BG, making any charge have to hit them, AND angle so that my BG have a flank. I move my non-stupid chariot up to cover the flank of that sacrificial spear-elves unit. My fast cav proceeds to enter a dance of maneuver with the 2 greenskin cav units, denying either a charge while attempting to pepper them into panic checks, which unfortunately doesn't work out this turn. My Bolt throwers send a hail of spears at the trolls, which ends up suffering 2 wounds after saves. My magic phase didn't do anything except draw some dispell scrolls.

His night goblin unit fails its terror check from the hydra and begins to flee. He charges his Orc boys and Black orcs at my sacrifical Spearelves. His trolls charge my Black Guard, and his snotlings attempt to close with my hydra (slowed down too much by a forest) His night goblins manage to pass a fear check and get a charge off on my chariot. My Spearelves shamelessly flee, causing the orc regiments to fail their charge while my BG and Chariot are too proud or stupid to flee. My chariot is beaten by Combat rez, and breaks, and is destroyed as it flees thru orc units. My Black Guard suffer 2 casualties, but send the trolls packing. I roll an abysmal 3 to pursue and fail to run them down.

Round 3:
Finally, my BSB chariot isn't stupid. JUST in the nick of time, too. My Spearelves rally as well, and reform to face the Night Goblins that just destroyed my chariot. My BG charge his Immortals, and the chariot hits them in the flank. My sole surviving harpy charges the fleeing Night Goblins, which are obligated to react by fleeing. They can't get away from its 20" charge, so ~25 goblins, AND a shaman are massacred by a single harpy. My Hydra and Corsairs charge the snotlings, but I misaligned my hydra and the Witch elves couldn't get around it to charge the Snotlings as well. With my chariot's flank WIDE OPEN to the 2nd Boar Boys squadron, my Bolt Throwers focus fire on it. It works out and I force a panic check, which they fail, and scamper right off the board. I get a miscast while attempting to place a Word of Pain on the Immortals, but I feel I'll still be ok winning that combat. And I'm right, the General issues a challenge which Grimgore accepts. He saves away all my general's damage, but I also save away all his thanks to the PoK. My Black Guard and BSB Chariot massacre enough Orcs that I suffer no damage in return, and I win combat by so much he needs snakes to stay. He doesn't, and his run down. My Hydra and Corsairs go thru snotlings like a lawnmower, and they end up being run down as well. My Corsairs end up following up headfirst into an Orc Boy regiment unsupported, however.

He throws in the towel. My fast cav is dancing around with 2 of his cav, keeping them out of the real battle in the center of the table which just turned disastrous for him. He doesn't get any meaningful production out of his magic or shooting phase, and half-heartedly rolls the dice thru his close combat phase. Despite having the charge, my Corsairs just lack the oomph to beat a ranked up orc regiment, and he sends them fleeing, but fails to run them down.

Round 4:
I can't convince him to continue playing. He's got units scattered across 3 quarters of the table, unable to support one another, and no general's LD left even if they could. His ~15 night goblins are caught between my 15 Crossbowmen and 20 Spearmen. One Orc Boyz regiment is caught between my BG and BSB Chariot, and the other is caught between my Hydra, Witch Elves, and Corsairs. His Doomdiver is about to suffer a charge from my Fast Cav, and his own 2 cav units in that part of the battlefield will be left with no targets after my cav probably blow thru the artillery. His 2 suriving trolls are a sure bet to flee off the table before making their abysmal LD check to rally. He declares the game over and awards me full points for his entire army.

Final score: 2800 to 475, Massacre/Surrender