Tournament report 2.5k shooty list!

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Markusswe
Corsair

Tournament report 2.5k shooty list!

Post by Markusswe »

So, this weekend I went to a 2.5k tournament with my DE! I was asked to write a report, so here it is!

In this tournament there are 3 different primary scenarios and 5 different secondary scenarios. The primary scenarios give 0-16 pts and the secondary ones 0-4. I will explain the primary ones shortly and the other in the report of each game!

First scenario: killing fields, basically kill as much possible for pts, 3/4 or 1/2 dead units/models give 25 and 50% victory points respectively.

Second scenario: take and hold, in this scenario you have to hold two fixed points 24inch from each side with an equal distance from both players deployment zones. They can only be held by units with a cost of 100 or more and only by certain types of units that each give a different amount of “domination points” (infantry 2, cavalry/skirmish/ranked shooting 1, extra +1 for banner). Most dominion points (DP) within 6inch at both objectives and at end of both players turn 3 & 6 get 2 points.

Third scenario: domination, similar to take and hold but instead table quarters. Also turn 3 and 6.

Note that victory points doesn’t matter in the second and third scenario!

Ok, so to my list:

Chars:
Dreadlord: Pegasus, stubborn crown, pendant, whip of agony, HA, Shld, SDClk
S. Sorc: lv4, lifetaker, sac dagger
Sorc: lv2, tome of f, seal of ghrond
Master: Pegasus, BSB, regen armor, dragonbane gem, lance, Shld, HA, SDClk

Core:
4x 10 crossbowmen: mus/std (shld on 3) 2 DP each
16 spearmen: full com, gleaming pendant 3 DP
22 spearmen: std/mus, shld 3 DP
2x 5 harpies

Special:
10 shades: AddHW 1 DP

Rare:
1 bolt thrower
2 hydra

EDIT: a few things might be wrong in my reports since I just write from what I can remember. However, this will only be recognized by the players I played...

Match 1: killing field + capture (exactly as in take and hold, right in the middle an objective for 2 pts at both players turn 3). Playing vs VC.

My opponent got a caster vamp lord with shadow, a nec with dance, wight king BSB. Two big units ghouls, one little, grave guards, zombies, black c, 5 cairn wraiths, 5 fliers and 5 black knights.

As I have learned vs VC you want to take their lord if you can, especially a weak caster lord. For that reason VC players deploy such a lord behind everything else, as my opponent did. From my left he had ghouls, and grave guards with his small ghoulunit behind with his lord against my 2 units of crossbowmen (one with lvl2), my 16warriors lvl4 sac dag bunker behind them and in the middle facing the center objective and his grave guards. Also, I placed a unit harpies and my hydra at my left side to flank his ghouls should they come towards my crossbowmen. The plan was to use the hydra to take the ghouls after shooting them down a bit and try to get at his Lord behind there. I also placed my dreadlord in the mid to have the opportunity to help out with that.

On the other side, from my mid to right, he had more ghouls, black coach, black knights, vargulf and zombies behind that. I placed my other crossbow units to face those, my bsb, some harpies, my bolt thrower and shades scouted to his very far same side. Here, close to these was a huge forest that was the only terrain piece that mattered in this match (it turned out to be a stupidity-forest!).

I luckily got the first turned and moved forward with all my shooting, just for range (not more). Only hydras, harpies and my flying chars moved a bit more to be able to counter his other units while staying out of charge range. Since his lord used shadow, I wasn’t too afraid of dance-spam and marched quite aggressively!

I might have slowed him down with shadow signature spell somewhere but magic didn’t do much (I did not get –D3 toughness!). I shoot down some guys here and there, bolter on vargulf fails. Lifetaker (now magical shots!) + chill wind get 2-3 cairn wraith wounds!

On his turn he moves forward with everything, trying to capture my shades with vargulf and zombies (they will be caught unless they can march). Black knights moves full forward into the forest (towards crossbowmen, my bolt thrower and facing my bsb). Now we roll the forest which gives stupidity!

All in mid moves forward. His ghouls to my left move towards my hydra full speed, he follows with his small ghoul vampire lord + necromancer bunker to be able to dance from necro + use helm of commandment to go for my hydra.

Unfortunately for me he gets 12 or 11 power dice in at least the first three magic phases (with 2 extra from vampire lord). When he rolls a high result on dance to get into combat with the hydra I let it go rather than waste all my dispel dices on that because I think I got a good chance to stick around with breath attack even if he got helm (which I rather assume at this point).

Other than that, he raises ghouls, ghouls, and more ghouls. I dispel each attempt with low rolls and let the high ones go.

Because of high WS due to helm of commandment and quite low rolling on thunderstomp and breath, which I think only is str 3/4 after taking one or two wounds, ghouls have I3 and strike before me, I think I lose the combat by one. I do however make my breaktest with minus one.

On my turn I charge his knights with my BSB, make the march-test with shades but have to end my movement in the huge stupidity forest. His wraiths moved towards his other side so I focus magic/shooting elsewhere but do little to nothing with that this turn. My BSB kills three knights and he does no wounds to me which pops the knights! (I made the charge knowing he can’t KB me because I am a monsterous mount cavalry!)

My second hydra breaths over his other big ghoul unit and my harpies redirects his black coach from charging my hydra for a turn. I get something like 20 hits and kill 18 with one breath :)

At my left I charged my dreadlord at his exposed small unit of ghouls with lord (had to roll 7 or so with swiftstride which passed). Of course I expected him to challenge with his champion, but I am okay with holding him there and helping my hydra out by negating the helm.

I do not only do the max 5 overkill with my dreadlord so that a few dies, my hydra does so well that it pops the other units of ghouls because of a 6 on thunderstomp and now fighting vs WS3!

On his turn the champion gets raised back up to challenge my dreadlord again. He charges my hydra in the mid with the ghouls (grave guards can’t make it, since they are in front arc too). Luckily for me I pass terror test with my harpies that I had forgot about from black coach (so he can’t flank my hydra).

When he charges my bsb that killed the knights in the forest with his vargulf, I flee. I didn’t actually think about it when I decided to flee, but it was certain that the vargulf would get stuck in the stupidityforest if I did. At LD 4 in the stupid forest that meant he spent the two following turns there which was great!

Since his wraiths and fliers decided to run/fly towards the other side not much more happens than him placing 5 DP at the objective in center for my turn (grave guards 3, ghouls fighting my hydra 2).

In my third turn the stupidity forest backfires on my shades aswell, my BSB rallies. My large spearmenunit marches towards the objective in the center together (which gives me 3 DP in range for the objective).

My second group of harpies, that last turn flew behind his lines in the mid, flew to try to block of the black coach again from my hydra fighting the ghouls and the spearmens behind it.

Unfortunately for me, the other hydra, behind my dreadlord with his small ghoulunit, was too far away to charge it. Instead I placed him so I had the choice of charging them or the grave guards next turn.

While magic gave my opponent 12 PD each turn, I got something like 2-5 PD each turn the whole match after the couch soaking my PD. So, my magic wasn’t too effective. I only had a remains in play -2 str at his wraiths that he didn’t dispel for several turns. I also debuffed the movement of those to make it harder for them to charge my stupid shades.

Shooting at vargulf in forest with bolter fails again, I do 2-3 wounds vs black coach with 20 crossbowmen that he ward saves. I get like 2-3 grave guards so he loses a rank with grave guards with shooting on other side.

Since my dreadlord killed his champion last turn I get to unleash my whip of agony vs his lord and I do 2 wounds and he none at me! My hydra in the mid does well but the ghouls stick around with a few left which is unfortunate because then he takes the objective in the mid.

In his turn he charges my harpies with black coach that stick with reroll (my bsb flew to give reroll behind the lines of hydra, spearmen and harpies in the mid). Even if he needs a 8 or 9 he charges my shades with wraiths that got -2str I decide to flee back in the forest, just in case. They could’t shoot at that much at this point anyway and I hoped to kill the wraiths with crumble later on. A failed charge with the wraiths left them in a bad spot aswell.

Grave guards charges my spearmenunit in the mid and I hold despite his help from a wight king bsb. He raises some ghouls in the lord unit and get his champion back because I can’t stop all that spam. Also he debuffs my dreadlords str with shadow magic. His fliers position themselves to charge my bolter next turn in front of my 2 crossbow units. As I said earlier the vargulf got stupid again, now at the edge of the forest looking towards my bolter and rpx units as well.

The black coach make short work of my second group of harpies and combat reforms to face my hydra and spearmen. My spearmens doesn’t break with minus one vs grave guards (bsb reroll not needed). My hydra in the mid finally kills of his ghouls there and reforms to help my spearmen plus making the center objective a draw and the score 3-1 in his favor so far.

The dreadlord kills the champion again and it’s my turn 4.

I decide to charge my hydra against his ghouls to try to crumble/kill his lordunit. My other hydra charges the graveguards. Because they were raised back up a bit in his last turn I do the math and decide to to charge in his side with my crossbowmen as well to have a decent chance of crumbling them this turn before the now fully charged black couch with no wounds taken wrecks some havoc to me. My lvl 2 stands with the crossbowmen, but only 1 graveguard will be able to attack him and I feel this is a risk I need to take to get these grave guards down.

My shades rally in the forest and I have amazing luck to kill his vargulf (that would have stupidity roll vs 4 yet another turn though) with 20 short range crossbowmen and bolter in one round!

My lord and hydra does okay and only his lord stands with 1 wound left. I couldn’t wound him because he casted –D3 str at my dreadlord last turn that I decided to leave to be able to debuff his grave guards with shadow magic instead. Also, I expected him to crumble with the charging hydra, which it would by average, but my hydra fluffed a bit.

I get one more wound than enough to kill his grave guards and he doesn’t killing blow my lvl 2. I am very glad I did the math and went for the crossbowmen flanking despite risking my sorc! The hydra overruns and so does my rpxunit (the hydra rolls far enough to get out of couch charge-arc).

What happens in his 4th turn is that his lord dies, he fails to reach my bolter with fliers, zombies and wraiths start to crumble and his coach start to make some havoc, starting by taking out my bsb that decideds to stand instead of fleeing with +1inch head start (clearly wrong decision but I thought that I could stand, 2wounds and charging meant I failed twice on 6 and autodied).

Turn 5/6 all he got left, zombies, fliers, wraiths start to crumble and eventually dies. His alone black coach with flying take my lvl4 sorc bunker out. Despite dying with my bsb and lv4 he only got the coach left I get a lot of points for the killing field scenario. The game ends 16-4 to me.

I'll see if I make a report of the 4 other games, will likely be shorter!
Last edited by Markusswe on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Nice report! :D

Also he debuffs my dreadlords str with shadow magic.
I couldn’t wound him because he casted –D3 str at my dreadlord last turn...

I think the whip makes him immune to that, or not (can't check the book right now)?

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Moved to Battle Reports, where it belongs. :)
Markusswe
Corsair

Post by Markusswe »

Thanee wrote:Nice report! :D

Also he debuffs my dreadlords str with shadow magic.
I couldn’t wound him because he casted –D3 str at my dreadlord last turn...

I think the whip makes him immune to that, or not (can't check the book right now)?

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Moved to Battle Reports, where it belongs. :)

Right, always strikes with str 5. I forgot that!
Benmannen
Beastmaster

Post by Benmannen »

Awesome report!

We want more more more, and no... Dont even think about writing next one shorter, we don't want to miss out on all the juicy parts :)
Fantasy: Dark Elves, Dogs of War and Bretonnians 40k: Dark Eldar and Chaos Renegades, BFG: Dark Eldar, Epic: Dark Eldar, Man O'War: Slaanesh Chaos

My Dark Eldarblog:
http://stefan13.typepad.com/blog
Markusswe
Corsair

Post by Markusswe »

Match 2: take and hold + banners scenario (most banners at end of game get 4pts).

This time I am up against skaven, an army I never ever have played against before! After a quick survey of their statline we are ready to go.

If I would take a guess this battlefield had something like 11 terrainpieces, so terrain made much more difference in this game. Primarily there were several pieces of impassable terrain (IT) and a house were I could hide from his lightning cannon with my hydras and BSB and that split several areas of the field into corridors were only one unit could fit through. Also, at my mid left side in the middle, we had a huge hill that one could hide behind with the objective on this side right on the top.

His deployment from left was something like this: Lightning cannon almost in the corner, scouted gutter runners behind a mid field far left house, doomwheel, slaves, clanrats, clanrats with gray seer, 5small rat redirect unit in front of that one, after some IT, more slaves with a 5 small rat redirect unit in front and a huge 7guy strong big rats with a fighty char behind it. After another IT in a big empty space at his far right he had some 36 inch shooters (str6?). Another unit of gutter runners decided to come into the board later.

To match that from my left: harpies and dreadlord hiding at some IT stones, bolt thrower, hydra, my large spearmen unit watching the hill with the objective, another hydra, a rpx unit that had some line of sight to shoot. Then, after another IT in the mid where my bsb hid with more harpies, more rpx, my spearmen lvl4 bunker pretty far back and the other two rpx units after that. And, since those shooters of his were so alone to the right, my shades seem to get a good target placing themselves 12 inch away.

Luckily, I again got the first turn! From my right to left: harpies flew behind the house to be able to charge his lightning cannon next turn (and couldn't be seen by his gutter runners who were close by), my dreadlord took cover from the same building (and could give LD to harpies should they need to take panic) looking towards were I thought his doomwheel would go, as did my hydra. My spearmens moved forward like 2 inch, other hydra something like that aswell, just hiding for now behind the hill from his 2 small template wpn-guys and a flametemplate one (I forgot to mention those in deployment!).

All my shooting units again just moved forward so every guy could shoot at something. Shades felt unscared by his low BS high str shooting guys and moved close to face and shoot those!

In my magic/shooting I try to blast his redirect unit to my right so they won't give cover to his slave unit behind. Chill wind gets 2 guys or something. Minus toughness on the slaves standing in front of the unit of big rats is dispelled. Shadow signature gets a -3 to movement on the same unit which is superb. This means that his giant rat unit behind them won't get far either (which is clearly deployed bad behind the slaves and between two IT!). I believe that my 3 units of crossbowmen scared him to place his no save giant rats next to the str6 shooters in a big space of nothing which suddenly looked like a more attractive place to be at!

My bolt thrower fails to wound his doom wheel, I shoot down a few more small rats from redirect units and some slaves. Shades does 3 wounds to his 5 stong shooting unit which panics off the board. Great turn 1!

On his turn he moves his gutters runners behind the house to my left in the way for my harpies so there's no space between them and the lightning cannon. His doomwheel moves forward into the arc and range of my dreadlords flank and hydras front, just as planned! The rest of his army moves forward just a bit but the hill to the left blocks line of sight or range from most spells and shooting and to my right his movement forward is crippled by shadow signature on the slaves.

I don't think he manage to do anything at all during his magic/shooting.

In my turn I go for the charge on the doomwheel I setup for this turn with dreadlord in flank and hydra in front. I am not entirely sure what it does, but I figure that's about as good as it gets. And, since my harpies can't fly anyway because of storm banner I charge his gutter runners that fail to kill one on stand and shoot (my harpies got general presence and I thought it would be nice just to hold that unit rather than letting them charge me and likely win).

My spearelves stands just behind the hill, ready to move up next turn for objective. With my hydra and dreadlord attacking the doomwheel on it's left I figure that I would win by combat res and threaten his block with my hydra next turn. With my other hydra I move up the hill to my spearmens right, out of charge range because he didn't move enough forward, to threaten him from moving towards the objective together with the other hydra (I hope). I don't care if this enables his lightning cannon to be able to fire at it for a turn!

Most of my crossbowmen stand still, except some to the right that moves to be able to just move and shoot next turn + take the objective. Shades march so they have short range looking at the flank of his slave-blocked giant rat unit.

The only thing I can remember from magic is that I again the a minus 3 signature on the same slave unit, slowing them yet another turn for me to shoot in safety. Shooting does little or nothing because -2 to hit with that banner that's super crazy good vs my shooty army!

My BSB and 2nd unit of harpies is kept back right in the middle providing some rerollable panics and waiting to see where to help out later.

Close combat goes as planned, I do 3-4 wounds on doomwheel and he does nothing at my dreadlord which he tries to wound. He runs and I follow with both and catch him with my dreadlord that moves 10inch which is close to a slave unit of his and the fight between gutter runners (2front) vs my 5 harpies (1front). I think I kill 2 and he one, or just he one. Anyway, they stand with a draw.

On his turn the storm banner continues. He is too scared to charge my hydra to the right (the left one didn't overrun more than 4 inch). This is great news for me, because I not only will be able to take the objective with my king of the hill spearmen unit, by charging 2 units of his with my hydras, I will likely keep them from coming towards the objective in his next turn unless he deals with them somehow...

He does charge my dreadlord with slaves, and I hold. I dispel all magic he attemps except a further -1 to hit with shooting meaning I get minus 3 to hit with all shooting next turn!

His lightning cannon fails to do something against a hydra. His mortar-ish weapon teams gets a scatter and kills something like 5 spearmens on the hill. A one use shot item with large template just fails to reach the same unit (phew!).

Harpies and gutter runners again get a draw with 1 kill each. Oh, and btw, his other gutters runners failed to come onto the board.

Because he is blocked to his right with his slowly moving slaves I take the right objective this turn. One unit of slaves goes towards my spearmen though which means a 1-1 on that side and a 7-1 lead for me at this point.

In my turn 4 my hydras charge the slaves in the flank fighting my dreadlord and his gray seer unit that came towards the objective with my other.

This turn my shooting does little and I don't remember if I got any spell off at all this turn, perhaps -1 move and -1 toughness on slaves. All close combats goes well but his units stand on steadfast. Most slaves are dead from shooting in that unit to my right.

On his 4th turn the storm banner ends. I think his gray seer died to my hydra last turn or this but magic does little aswell as shooting because most units fight now.

He finally kills my harpies with gutter runners.

We are really in a rush by time in the round and when my hydras and dreadlord deals with his units there we both agree I will take that objective last turn. To be nice I suggest that we split the points from the other objective (he had the giant rats unit facing my 3 rpx units, bolt thrower, shades in rear and my spearmen bunker). Likely I would have shot him down and taken full points but that's ok. My second unit of harpies could have blocked him from taking out any of my units in his turn 6.

This means I win with 17-3 because clearly I had most banners (which surely would have been 19-1 should we have had the time).
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Very nice again! :D

MarkusSWE wrote:On his turn he moves his gutters runners behind the house to my left in the way for my harpies so there's no space between them and the lightning cannon.

This is actually not possible. You have to have 1" between units, even friendly units. If the Harpies could fly (which they couldn't, but if...) they could have charged the warp-lightning cannon (because that same 1" rule does not apply to charging units).

Bye
Thanee
Markusswe
Corsair

Post by Markusswe »

Match 3: domination + break point secondary (something similar to what's in the rulebook scenario)

This game I was up against VC again in a very open battlefield. Only terrain pieces that mattered was a forest in my deployment in my midleft and a 2 floor house at far right at his quarters side.

From my left he had black coach, ghouls with vamp lord beasts magic, grave guards HW/Shld, ghouls with lvl2 vamp and all light spells, 3 wraiths, 8 front grave guards with GW and WK bsb, vargulf, and a skeleton unit about 8inch from the house.

Because I had so many more units I got to deploy like 5 things when he was done. Unfortunately I didn't make the best of the situation, or it wasn't so bad had I not left my original gameplan just a bit witch costed me in this game.

From my left I put harpies, crossbowmens, my lvl4 bunker in the forest (that turned out to give dangerous terrain test if you walk through it). Next to that I placed both my hydras. I simply decided that I would go for his lord unit with those and try to crumble his lord. After that I had my lord in the mid, rpx with lvl 2 (chill wind on wraiths on other side), rpx with harpies in front (I am not deploying my rpx full forward in this matchup), BSB with bolter behind, more rpx and to my far right 22 spearmen. Shades 12 inch from skeletons partly behind building and not in their sight arc.

Amazingly I get to start again, all shooters move so they can shoot, hydras move up aggressivly but so he need a 9 and run through difficult terrain with his coach if he want to charge the closest one. My harpy unit to the left flies 20 forward on the side. I keep my lord in the mid going forward just a bit, my BSB and 2nd harpy-unit position in stand by aswell. Shades move forward to short range his skeletons.

I think I debuff movement of one of his blocks, chill wind gets a wraith, everything else get dispelled. I focus my crossbowmen at his great weapon grave guards and kill several (partly because it's out of raise-range + it's dangerous). Bolter fails to hit vargulf.

In his turn he just moves forward full speed with everything to his right. His black coach and ghouls move just a few inch forward (so I have to roll 8 or 9 to charge with my hydras). His magic does little I can remember, maybe raise some ghouls.

Turn 2 is the most important one of this match and now I do a couple of mistakes.

I am not sure if it was a bait, but if it was I fell for it. He had lined up his wraiths so I could kill them with my lord and overrun (with a 6 or 7) into his grave guard GW-block. Having so much trouble with wraiths before and not fearing KB from grave guards that now was like 12 left, I felt that this move was a given and confident that my lord would crumble the guards in just a few combat rounds later.

Why I shouldn't have done this was because of what I did to my left. Harpies placed to redirect black coach from my 2 hydras placing themselves to breath over his ghoul lord unit. Because I had passed my terror test with my harpies in game 1 and a similar situation I actually forgot about it now.

As it turned out I failed my terror test in the following turn, and because I had rolled 2 6s in my magic phase to the coach he only needed one more for etheral and it steamrolled both my hydras in one move.

What I should have done was that I should have flew my lord to give 10 LD to harpies + be able to take his ghoul and lord unit on next turn with the hydras, provide 10ld to my hydras if he charged and have the choice of holding his coach. After the match, my opponent agreed that this would have won me the game...

To my left I made another mistake. I charged my BSB into his vargulf. This was quite alright, because it was so close to everything. However, I also charged it's side with my spearmens. I thought that I would surely crumble him then. What I didn't know was that vargulf got thunderstomp (before this tournament I had played VC 4 times and never VS vargulf in 8th).

The vargulf wrecked me big time and my bsb failed and fled and died instantly as bsb's does nowadays. The spearmen held on rerollable steadfast.

Other than that I kept shooting at ghouls, grave guards and skeletons for a couple of wounds here and there. My dreadlord made short work of wraiths and got into the grave guards with GW.

As I already said my harpies fled and he redirected into my first hydra and overrun into my other one with his coach. He got off a dbl movement spell with such a high dice roll I couldn't stop it. This meant that in the following turn he marched 16inch and stood nice and cosy with most of my crossbowmen in my mid to right.

His skeletons entered the building. My spearmen stood on steadfast vs vargulf with 5 or 6 left. My dreadlord handled his wight king bsb.

In my turn I need to rethink my strategy and don't give up. After all, the scenario is dominating table quarters and I got several objective holders left. If I only can shoot/close combat most his units ...

My rpx unit to the left march forward to my upper left quarter for a draw in DP with his lord ghoul unit (2 each). My sorc bunker decide to move to the right from the dangerous forest and I lose 3 guys or so. All my 3 rpx units back 3 inch to stay out of his dbl-movement charge range next turn with grave guards HW/shld + ghoulunit with vamp lvl2.

Shades charge the house and his skeletons. If I can kill them (3 DP) and the grave guards (3 DP) I can actually take that quarter with my shades (1 DP). So, that's the plan obviously.

The dreadlord does do it, but not the shades (perhaps 7 skeletons left). He turns to face the vargulf and his 2 units. The vargulf kills my spearmen this turn I think. The coach runs my second hydra down.

I get objective points from both my quarters (spearmen bunker on left 3 DP, 3x rpx with std = 6 vs his 5 with grave guards + ghouls without banner). My upper left is a split between my rpx + his lord ghoulunit and he wins with skeletons in the house on the right side. 2,5 - 1,5 to me so far.

On his turn his ghoulslordunit charges my crossbowmen and I flee (so he will get that quarter at the end of his turn). His both units in the mid moves forward and are like 2 inch from my rpxunits. The vargulf had a turned blocked by my 2nd unit of harpies (that passed terror with general presence). Since the coach faced my dreadlord, he didn't charge it, instead he moved down in the mid, both towards my spearmen and my sorc bunker to my left.

So, his turn is just a setup turn basically for the coming. The objective this turn is 2-2 for a total of 4,5 - 3,5 to me.

In my turn my dreadlord charge his ghoul vamp unit, shades give skeletons a go again and now they die (and I take the house). One of my rpx units in the mid manage to swiftreform and get out of charge arc from grave guards. The other two can't make it from them and the vargulf and hold ground to be able to shoot better.

My rpx unit to the left rallies. My lvl4 bunker moves further to my left. I do however leave it with my lvl4.

I haven't actually told you yet, but in the 2-4 match of this tournament. Each non pool dice used in casting makes a spell fail on a 1 with first dice, 2 with next and so on. This means I only used sac dagger once and a few times twice and never power of darkness these games. My lvl 4 would be better off alone then, because I figured I had a shot at mindrazor my bunker unit vs his lord and low amount of ghouls in the last turn.

My dreadlord did well vs his ghoul unit and I think I killed his lvl2 vamp with no save. I believe I rolled snake eyes on winds of magic this turn :(

On his turn he charged with his dreadlord at my rallied crossbowmen, I decided to stand and shoot, hoping to stick around on steadfast and mindrazor them instead on my turn. As it turned out he not only had 9movement to reach for sure but also got extra attacks for every wound he did and killed 8 of my guys that fled.

He also mopped up those 2 crossbow units of mine in the mid. His coach failed to reach my spearmen unit to the left this turn and failed a charge (had to roll 9 or 10).

What happens in the next turns is that my dreadlord kills his ghoul unit, my third crossbowunit with lvl2 gets killed by grave guards. Grave guards take my lower right quarter and my shades the upper right (behind the building out of sight from vargulf).

I can't get any points for my spearmen at the lower left because on turn 5 his ghouls reaches the charge when they need to roll something like a 9 which he rolled with a grinning smile! Together with his lord they kill me (otherwise I could have passed steadfast vs his lord). My upper left quarter becomes a split two turns with no units there to hold.

Both players lose morale at the end for 2-2 pts on that. I lose this game with 8-12. Considering what happened with my hydras and my mistakes, that's acceptable.
Markusswe
Corsair

Post by Markusswe »

Match 4: take and hold, witchhunt (first 2 spellcasters killed is 2pts)

Once again I get to play against skaven. However, this list is much nastier with 2 lightning cannons instead of one, doomwheel and the dreaded abomination. He also got a plague furnace with a large unit of frenzy T4 rats.

On this battlefield and with this scenario, the side I picked by rolling highest was clearly favorable. At the objective to the right, on his side, there was an IT blocking the objective. I could really use this to my advantage this game as his movement towards that objective would be hindered and his advance to whatever I had on that side slow.

The other side, to my left, was much more open but with a house to the most far right, much like in my other game vs skaven. And, as in that game aswell, there was a hill in the mid there where the other objective was, not as huge as in game 2 though.

In my mid, just outside of my deployment was a terrain piece with a half circle of stonehenge-ish IT. That's it for the terrain that mattered this game.

From my left he had doomwheel, slaves, clanrats, clanrats with bsb + grayseer, slaves. Weapon teams to go with all those and 2 5strong small rat redirect units as my other skaven opponent had. Next, in the mid he placed both cannons, 2 units of 5 gutter runners, abom, a 10strong storm vermin (?) objective holder unit (that looked to place themselves by the IT and reach the objective from behind it). At his far right, passed the IT he had the huge unit with plague furnace.

My plan again was to use hydras to take his blocks on one side and use shooting on the other, just as last game vs skaven. Dreadlord aimed for the abom, bsb and hydra for his doomwheel as dreadlord and hydra did the other game.

With the large spearmen unit and a crossbow unit I aimed to take the left objective (5 DP vs his 6 from 2 clanrat units), leaving 3 crossbow units and my lvl4 bunker vs his furnace unit and the hiding storm vermins (7DP vs his 6 total).

Shades deployed close to furnaceunit to run around and shoot at it whole game.

My game plan worked perfectly this match and I will just give the highlights.

My bsb and hydra killed his doomwheel when it moved forward, which I had setup in my first turn, just like in game 2. He did however make 2 wounds on my bsb with grinding.

My lord killed abom in three turns with help from -2 str from shadow on it that he didn't dispel.

Hydras did their work with his units despite one eventually dieing because of lightning cannon fire. I was lucky to make an initiative test of 2 on a power scrolled spell that otherwise would have killed it.

His storm banner goes away after one turn and my shooting slaughters his big unit of furnace-rats. This unit also is slowed by minus movement a couple of turns from magic. Both a I-test cannon-like spell go off against the reduced I furnace and so does a pit of shade that gets it in turn 3.

My shades eventually run around and kill his hiding objective holder rats and my harpies targets his weapon teams from the left side.

His 2 units of gutter runners deployed at his cannons run past abom and dreadlord fighting but gets shot down when they come too close to my lvl 2 rpx unit with shots and chill wind.

His doomrocket (?) hits my spearmen unit on the left side that panics and flees. He doesn't have anything to claim objective with so I can march with my crossbowmen there to take the objective both last turns (because my hydra(s) and bsb keep his clan rats/slaves occupied).

His only points in the game comes from a lightning cannon shot against my lvl 2 that fails a look out sir roll and dies (witchhunt). Other than that I claim all objective points and 2 more when my hydra kills his gray seer. 18-2 to me.
Markusswe
Corsair

Post by Markusswe »

Match 5: killing fields + assassination (2pts for first 2 charkills).

For the third time I get to play against VC. It's a person and an armylist I know. He got a big blood knight bus with WK bsb with regen banner, a vamp that regens wounds to his unit for all that he makes and a lord that gets extra attacks for wounds he does. Other than that he got 2 units of ghouls (one with a necromancer with dance), 1 unit of skeletons and 1 unit of handwpn shld grave guards.

To put it plainly, my list is built to beat this VC-list!

He deploys in the center with everything, skeletons in the back. Knights in the mid. I only place my flying chars and harpies in the mid, all other units on flanks. One hydra on each side.

The plan is of course to move around and just arrow him. My hydras will kill everything but his knights alone and the knights I can either bait away with harpies or hold with my stubborn dreadlord with reroll on break with bsb close by and imba save.

In fact, this is exactly what happens. I start and move and shoot a bit, just placing myself far enough from a possible march + dance with his knights with my stuff on the flanks.

He gets too far with his knights towards my lvl 4 bunker to my left and I charge his flank with my dreadlord. There he fights a challenge with his lord that had 3 extra attacks (that's 7 with infinite hatred str 5 at same WS as me).

Hopefully my lord won't die or roll 11+ twice and hopefully he'll kill his lord eventually.

About when everything else has been shot down and massacred by my hydras, his lord dies after several times healing himself. Especially useful is my lvl 2 mage with word of pain WS1 on his knights each turn which makes it hard for him to hit me even with so many attacks and hatred. And, if he dispelled that I still had shadow signature and -D3 str which got through in the later rounds.

When the lord is dead I turn there with my hydras to make a final blow together also with my bsb from rear. He mange to create a zombie unit to redirect the hydras, but one can still overrun ... it needs a 5 but rolls 4 on overrun. It doesn't matter though, my dreadlord and my bsb from the rear kills off everything in the knight unit at his last turn.

This means I end the tournament with a match where I lose 0 victory points and get a 20-0.

My painting score was 23/30 though, and even if I was the best general with 79 pts, I place third in the tournament only 2 points behind second place and 3 behind winner.

A quote from my friend when I was too lazy to put grass on my bases "if you are going to the tournament to win, you have to put grass on your bases". Yeah, guess if I am going to hear that a few times ... ^^

Here's a link to the final standings:
http://www.fantasiaweb.se/Gismo/Bildark ... 202010.pdf
Truant
Dark Rider

Post by Truant »

Wonderful reading!!!

I like it a lot to see how things where done and how you played them.

just want to say one thing about your first game though, the "stupid forest" gives you stupidity which makes you immune to psych = you can't flee :)

Cool with VC that plays with lore of light (one of my favorites!).

And you said you've never met skaven before and you play a shooty army vs storm banners and you end up with 17-3 and 18-2, well played indeed!!!

And last but not the least.....you have to put grass on your bases! :lol:
Pain is Temporary
Pride is Forever
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Congratulations on your 3rd place! :D

Bye
Thanee
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Thanee wrote:Congratulations on your 3rd place! :D

Bye
Thanee

Just think if he had added grass to his bases! Gratz on third Markus!!