Dark Elves vs. Beast Men

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Coryl99
Warrior

Dark Elves vs. Beast Men

Post by Coryl99 »

1,000 pt armies
My list

Sorceress Dark Magic
dispell scroll, PoK

Assassin
Extra hand weapon
rune of Khaine
man bane

25 warriors
FC
shields

17 Crossbowmen
shields
Banner and musician

Cold one chariot

5 Cold one knights

Reaper Bolt thrower

His Beast men:
Beast lord? i dont know some fighter, shield and hand weapon

20 gors shield and hand weapon, FC

20 outflanking gors with extra hand weapon, FC

10 or so ungors with short bows

10 Bestigors FC

5 beast of chaos or war dogs or something

Chariot

spawn

Deployment:
From left to right my deployment the one hill was on my deployment zone so i put my bolt thrower there. next to it My CoK, on their right was the 25 warriors with the Sorceress, then on there right the crossbows, then the chariot. He had his his gors and beastigors coming straight at me up the middle with a dog screen, chariot on my right flank and ungors on the left going for the bolt thrower.

Turn one: He goes first. He Moves everything up as much as he can. His out flankers roll a one so i put them on his table edge where they belong! I stay put for the most part.Magic i rolled snake eyes for winds, but got an extra for power of darkness i then tried to cast black horror haha FAIL (stupid i know) After magic I open fire with the Xbows and kill the hound screen and then let a 6 bolts fly from my Bolt thrower that kills 3 gors from middle unit.

Turn 2: More general Advancing on his part, hes coming into charge range... He is in range with his short bows on my Bolt thrower and they take a wound off it. My turn i generally stay put. Magic was amazing! i rolled 11 for winds of magic then cast power of darkness and got 4 extra dice and threw 7 and 7 at word of pain and black horror. He Failed miserably try to dispel. So the Word of pain went of on the bestigors and the black horror killed 11! gors! it really hurt him, They stayed put but then took a beating from a side shot from the Bolt thrower which skewered 4 more. Then the Xbow men wounded the spawn (which deployed next to the chariot on the right)..

Turn 3: His ungors fail trying to hit my Bolt thrower. Bestigors Charge My block of elves and sorceress my assassin pops out, he challenges i accept promptly cutting him down with no wounds on my assassin and 3 OK points! then my spears men killed 3 Bestigors they killed four in return. I won the combat with ranks and wounds by quite a bit i believe what he tested on but he failed and fled 10 in. i went 8. The gors were slaughtered by my CoK no wounds on me, He also failed a charge on my chariot with his chariot by 5 inches! His spawn moved to try to flank charge my spears next turn. My turn the spears fall back a little to get back into the support range of a CoK charge because the outflanking gor unit has finally slogged it to the fight and are right in front of the fleeing bestigors. I charge my chariot into his which leaves his chariot in the end with 1 wound left and mine with 3. My magic phase I dont do anything to big because i dont recall it very well. Shots from xbow men wound spawn again. Bolt thrower kills three of its ungor pests.

Turn 4: bestigors Rally, Spawn charges flank of spears. Outflanking gors move up. Shooting he gets another wound on my bolt thrower! In combat his chariot is killed and my assassin used his make way move to attack the spawn which he killed so quickly it didnt even attack! My turn, now getting ready to finish him. I charge with my chariot into his bestigors flank and my warriors charge their front. Magic goes very well again and i get a black horror off on the remaining gor unit and 8 die better yet! they panic and run back 8 inches to! Now his bestigors are stranded! The bestigor with like 6 left 2 killed on impact and assassin killing 3 the other was poked to death by angry Dark elves! They are destroyed, his only units left now are the ungors with 6 left and the 12 gors.

Turn 5: He rallies the gors. The ungors shooting at the bolt thrower still fails. My turn Charge CoK into Ungors they are slaughtered... and my warriors into gors. Assassin again taking a heavy toll and killing 4 and spears and such another 2. I take 2 wounds but win the combat by alot with wounds and ranks. He flees and is cut down. Game over.

DARK ELF: VICTORY! Massacre

Unit Ratings:
Sorceress: Loved her She was invaluable! Dark Magic ROCKS! Its very strong and versatile. I got Word of Pain and Black Horror which are both really good and with power of darkness the opponent has no idea what to throw her dice at.

Assassin: Fantastic! he has had such bad reviews in the edition but use my build and watch him kill anything and lots of it he has around 4 or 5 attacks a round at one higher than your attackers toughness so hes hitting on reroll-able threes and wounding on threes and his strength is normally high enough to take off some armor! He was almost broken it seems like imo.

Warriors: Perfect base for my leaders perform solid like always.

Xbows: okay they were mehh shooting was pretty good would of liked to ranked them up for CC too.

CoK: have potential but they couldn't use it this game there really wasnt much fighting that last enough for a flank charge... bummer o well next game... I really was excited about them..

CoC: Really well, love its versatility and strength it pretty much held my right flank.

Reaper Bolt thrower: Did well i love shooting with it because its perfect for taking down rank bonus. It has fallen into disuse but i think it is quite useful.

Thanks for reading! Comments are welcome!
8th ed. Record win-tie-loss
Dark Elves: 2-0-0
Bretonnians: 0-0-0
Painted:
Dark Elves 1000pts.: 80%
Bretonnians 1000pts: 50%
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanks for the report!

Just a clarification:
" i rolled 11 for winds of magic then cast power of darkness and got 4 extra dice and threw 7 and 7 at word of pain and black horror."
The cap is 12 at any time, if you ever exceed it, the extra is lost.
If you start at 11 and cast PoD, you can go no further than 12.
You were supposed to cast first a spell with 7 PD, then PoD to regain PD, then your last 7PD spell.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

ooo Okay thank you i didn't know that! Okay will be sure to remember that next time. thanks!
Painted:
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

Sorceress Dark Magic
dispell scroll, PoK

This config is illegal unfortunately, as she then has 60 pts of magic items

Nice report :)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Re: Dark Elves vs. Beast Men

Post by Thanee »

Thanks for the report! :)

One question about the Assassin:

CoryL99 wrote:Assassin: Fantastic! he has had such bad reviews in the edition but use my build and watch him kill anything and lots of it he has around 4 or 5 attacks a round at one higher than your attackers toughness so hes hitting on reroll-able threes and wounding on threes and his strength is normally high enough to take off some armor! He was almost broken it seems like imo.

How many attacks did your opponent direct at him in the combats usually?

Or did he simply attack the unit?

Bye
Thanee
Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

Okay thank you for the feed back everyone! Still learning the rules and its helpful to be pointed out my wrong doings thank you! Ill be sure to remember the equipment limit next time, turns out the d*** dispel scroll was useless this game anyway so it evened out.

@Thanee
First combat he challenged me with his war lord and i accepted with assassin. Which cut his warlord down with ease with extra 3 overkill points. So that combat he didnt have much option because i cant be targeted after fighting a challenge correct? After that spawn charges his units flank he "make way" to contact with it he ASF so kill it with ease then, his 12 gors charged front of his unit and i struck first kiiled 4 with him and spears killed 3 and that combat he just targeted unit. In hopes of killing enough elves to win the combat i think i dont know why he didnt target him there. But i just think ASF with so many attacks that re roll 3s to hit and 3+s to wound is awesome plus normally the strength is high enough to say good bye to armor! I was just really pleased with him!
Painted:
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

i dont know why he didnt target him there.

I've noticed in some of my games that opponents will sometimes not realise that they can easily kill vulnerable characters (e.g. a death hag BSB or assassin). Unfortunately, it's a strategy that relies on your opponent's lack of strategic thinking: eventually they'll either wise up or you'll play against people who know that assassins and other khainite characters are very squishy and easy to kill when targetted by Rank and File.

plus normally the strength is high enough to say good bye to armor!

Against beastmen, with T5 on most of their characters, yes; but against races with typically T3 characters (e.g. humans, elves, goblins, etc), not so much.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

@Red thats true but if he focus some attacks on the assassin then thats less elves dying in ranks so i could turn out with more ranks thus have steadfast or win the combat. So either way i think he is still quite viable even when targeted/focused.

ManBane goes by strength to a max of 6. which is fine even with low strength because i will still always wound on 3+s which is the goal of the item, imo the armor pen. is another incentive to take it.
Painted:
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yep, I think you did get a pretty optimum situation for him there. :)

Bye
Thanee
Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

haha either way i will keep him in my lists til he doesnt do well consistently
Painted:
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

ManBane goes by strength to a max of 6. which is fine even with low strength because i will still always wound on 3+s which is the goal of the item, imo the armor pen. is another incentive to take it.

Right, but an assassin is base S4, so against armies with T3 as standard, manbane is ineffective.

Don't get me wrong: you've run the best all rounder build out there for an assassin imo, but if you know you're up against a T3 heavy army (e.g. elves or humans) consider dropping the manbane and going for the assassin with rune of khaine and ahw build only.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Coryl99
Warrior

Post by Coryl99 »

@red

You make a good point but i dont think i will change it because i normally play tough 4 or higher armies so it is quite effective build for all comers imo. But you are right, he is wasting manbane against empire and elves.
Painted: