2.400 DE (new book) vs WoC report

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Harkonnen
Shade

2.400 DE (new book) vs WoC report

Post by Harkonnen »

Here my first 2400 game with the new book :) Against my regular WoC opponent.
I wanted to test both a life and death sorc, the new CoB/witch combo and locks!

My list:
Lvl 3 supreme sorceress, Death, Dark Steed, Power Stone, Cloak of Twilight, Obs. Trinket– 290 (Gen)
Lvl 3 supreme sorceress, Lore of Life, Dispell Scroll, Fencer’s Blades - 245
Master, ha, sdc, enchanted shield, dawnstone, sword of might, BSB - 155
Death Hag + cauldron – 275
30 Witch Elves, FC, razor standard - 405
2x 5 Dark Riders, xbows, shields – 200
28 ExeCZ, FC, discipline – 381
2x RBT – 140
2x 5 Shades, gw’s – 180
5x Warlocks – 125
Total: 2396

WoC list:
Deamon prince, mark of nurgle, lvl 4 wizard lore of Death(5 spells), fly, 1+as, charmed shield, sword of striking, dragonbanegem
Exalted hero 1, BSB, deamonic steed, great weapon; 2+as, 3++
Exalted hero 2, disc of tzeentch, third eye; 2+as, 3++ (reroll 1’s)
2x Core chariot of slaanesh
15 Chaos warriors of slaanesh, fc, hw/sh
5 Marauder horsemen, flails
2x Gorebeast Chariots (Slaanesh)
4 Skullcrushers of Khorne, M, B, ensorcelled wpns
Hellcannon

Spells;
My lvl 3 death had all 3 snipes :twisted: , lvl 3 life had Sig (regen), Throne and Regrowth
The deamon prince had all Death spells except for Aspect of Dreadknight and Purple sun

Deployment (and after vanguards)

Well i got obviously outdeployed as my opponent had way more drops with all the chariot spam. I wanted my witches opposing the warriors/as many chariots and NOT the crushers, but…. What can you do.. And he gets First turn anyway. :roll:

Turn 1 WoC
General advance, deamon prince stays in back, both exalted heroes head straight for the RBT’s.
In magic he puts d&d on my lvl 3 Death (i allow it), and rest is fluffed/dispelled. Hellcannon shot scatters away from my sorc.

Turn 1 DE:
I advance my witches to just before the marauders/SC’s, hoping the crushers will be unable to charge because of the marauders are still inbetween (a vain hope as we will see), and catching probably 2 chariots. With riders i redirect the BSB from my RBT. I shield the RBT further with shades (against the marauders), and move execs up slightly.

In magic i put a wound on the discHero with Doombolt, and get Throne up (fail roll on the dispell) and regen…

Shooting sadly couldn’t finish the DiscHero off with my RBT shots… And the S3 shots from shades/riders accomplish little, except for getting the charmed shield off the DP. (hehe).

Turn 2 WoC:
First the marauders succesfully charge my shades (-2 on S&S), allowing the 4 crushers to charge my witches, combined with 2 (core) chariots. The BSBhero charges my redirecting dark riders, breaks the remaining 2 and reforms. DiscHero charges and kills the right RBT, then reforms to face up. The gorebeast chariots move up slightly towards my execs. Demon prince flies all the way over to position for some magic…

In magic we see a Spirit leech on my life sorc fluff, a Caress (i failed to dispell) got through and did one wound.
In shooting the Hellcannon fires and hits on my lifesorc, who gets LoS and killing 3-4 execs after regen saves.

In CC i only lose 2 witchelf models to the impact hits (<3 5++), then my witches concentrate attacks on one chariot and kill it outright ^^, do strangely zero wounds on the other, and 1 on the SC’s. I lose another 9 or so models (fluffy rolls on his part and decent saves). They hold on steadfast (but are sadly no longer frenzied). The Shades kill off 2 more marauders in cc…

Turn 2 DE
I decide to not go for a flank attack on the ongoing fight, as i would not be able to hit the crushers, only the chariot who will probably die anyway, and would face counter flank/rear charges then. So i attempt a long charge (needed 8) on the closest gorebeast and make it:D
As there was no safe spot withing 12 inch of the DP (to bjuna him) for my deathsorc, because of opposing free charge arcs of both exalted heroes, i decide to stay safely at range.
I redirect the BSBhero from my RBT again with the remaining two dark riders..

In magic i get up 4++ on the execs again, frenzy on them too and fluff a spirit leech on the DP. (had high winds)
In shooting my last RBT puts 2 wounds on the DP !! :mrgreen: All the shade and dark rider shooting accomplishes nothing again.

In combat my execs slay the gorebeast chariot without problems, losing no models, overrunning into the 2nd. My shades finish off last horseman. In the Witchelf combat, they do 3 wounds to the other chariot (sadly failing to kill it), and none on the crushers, losing another 8-9 models. Hold again on steadfast (i reformed to 7 wide after last round, denying the 3rd crusher to hit btw).

Turn 3 WoC
He charges his DP and both exalted heroes into my witches/cob… (First the dischero charged my shades who fled). And the warriors into the Execs to help the gorebeast chariot.

Magic is uneventful with the DP having no viable targets within frontal arc…
Shooting sees the Hellcannon do a misfire BOOM! :burns: Hit on my last RBT, killing it.

In CC my witches/hag finish off remaining chariot, then all witches are slain, also deathhag is slain, but the CoB itself isn’t, breaks and miraculously escapes the pursuit by skullcrushers.. (who then don’t move at all because of Block by the BSBhero.)
At the other side of the table the warriors direct 9 attacks to my sorc, scoring 3 wounds i think and i save 2 with the regen (hehe). From the other attacks 3 or so execs die. I kill the chariot and around 7 warriors, getting rid of their steadfast, break and run them down.

Turn 3 DE:
My execs reform so to charge the hellcannon next turn and i gather redirectors for the hero’s and skullcrushers to finish the hellcannon First.
Now my lvl 3 death sees it’s opportunity to get withing 12 inch of the demon prince safely. Couldron rally’s :D

In magic i ofcrourse then roll 1-1 on winds, but luckily still got the powerstone to 4dice Bjuna on the DP and deal the last needed wounds :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Ill stop with the images here and summarize the remainder of the game:
-I kill the hellcannon
-Redirect Crushers one more time, after which my CoB can charge it from behind, killing 1 crusher with impact hits.
- Then the discHero kills CoB finally (str 7..)
- Then i can charge my Execs into the crushers, who strike simultaneously, me killing all 3 crushers in one blow (exactly), and losing around 12 models in the process (execs had no buffs up, again very low winds of magic roll).
-His BSBhero pursuits my redirecting locks (they don’t die)
-Last turn was basiclly me having only S3 shooting and the death sorc on the DiscHero with 1 wound left, rolling again 1-1 on winds, and ofcourse not killing it (with the 3++ 1’s rerollable ws).

So the end looked like this:
WoC
2 exalted heroes: 500pts, (minus 100 from general and 50 from 2 flags)
DE
Execs, both sorcs, bsb, some riders and locks, totalling 1221 ptz

Result: 871 pt victory for dark elves!

Post game thoughts:
-I had too many power dice consumers with 2 lvl 3s, locks and CoB ;p
-The only useful spell my deathsorc casted was the one Bjuna….
-Lifesorc in execs is AWESOME. And lifebloom is OP…
-30 witches combined with CoB is surprisingly resilient with the 5++, and the CoB makes it steadfast for a very long time if you reform smartly. Crushers are the absolute worst enemy they could get, and they held out for 3 turns. I think they will rip through almost anything else with ease with that razor standard….
-S3 shooting is completely useless vs WoC
-Executioners for 12 points a model is just, broken imo..
-3++ heroes (with optional rerollable 1’s) are pretty non-killable. Yet still they can’t do much against hordes :D But I’m unsure how to kill ‘m…

So that’s it thanks for the read!
Open for suggestions, about the battlerep, images, and my list.

Next list I will try probably includes just a lvl 4 life, but still undecided about other changes. I find both the 30witch/cob and exec hordes to be extremely powerful thus far.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: 2.400 DE (new book) vs WoC report

Post by Dalamar »

Congratulations on the win!

Just one note, you can't reform in combat if it will reduce number of models fighting. You said you reformed and it removed one of the skullcrushers from fighting. That's not a legal maneuver.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Harkonnen
Shade

Post by Harkonnen »

Hmm, good point, thanks! I remember that from somewhere now :lol:
Does that rule work in both ways or not?
Ie, im just not allowed to reform such way that i have less of my opponents models fighting, or im also not allowed to narrow and have less of my own models fighting (while opponents models in contact stays the same)?

Because basically any reform into narrower formation would reduce your own models fighting, in any close combat?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You can't reduce any fighting models from any side. So even if a reform would give you more attacks, you can't do it if it will also reduce attacks from your opponent.

You can reform into narrower frontage if your unit is wider than your opponent's and some of your models are not in btb with any enemy.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Great batrep. Beautiful and ez to follow.
More please!!
I've found that execs have the kroxigor/skink unit disease...
They deal a lot of wounds, but are so squishy that they can often lose combat inspite of that. You seemed able to get them into combat with smaller units where they couldn't attack back because you just wiped them.
Any other experiences with execs? 1 attk a piece without rerolls just isn't enough to convince me.
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Harkonnen
Shade

Post by Harkonnen »

Indeed it is a shame that execs don't reroll to hit no more ^^ And we have few (no?) ways to make that happen again for them I guess. Isn't there some spell that allow's reroll to hits? (but I think it's an orc spell or something).
But with a life sorceress inside them, I think it's really hard for them to lose combat ;o Maybe half the atks hit, but they ALL wound. And if you put frenzy on 'm it's a potential 40 attacks you're looking at in horde formation... Really S6 and rerolling 1's is o.O (or rerolling any, with CoB nearby).

Another option would be to go with lore of metal and boost their armor save to 3+, but compared to regen or +toughness it's nothing.. Altho Metal can also give 'm +1 to hit and AP hmmm, interesting.

Thanks for the explaination Dalamar!
kunimitsu
Corsair

Post by kunimitsu »

very nice batrep. Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed it and grats on the win.
CreativeName
Warrior

Post by CreativeName »

I wish we had a like button. LIKE.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

+1, great report, looking forward to more :)
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Nice report, thanks!

I like the synergy between the Life sorc and the Execs. She's perfect for a squishy unit.
Harkonnen
Shade

Post by Harkonnen »

Thanks for the comments guys!

Yeah, Life sorc in execs is very good imo. Plus with the witch/couldron unit you have a big double threat!

Im only hesitant about the fencer's blades on the Sorc. It maken most r&f hit her on 4s instead of 3s but the difference is not huge... If you position smartly, get either flesh or sig up she has very little risk of dieing imo..
Any opinions on this?

Next game ill go just lvl 4life with hotek ring and scroll i think..
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

I thought Fencers were an interesting choice, so much so that I had to go read their rules! :-)

Anything WS4 or lower needs 5's to hit her. It's an intriguing way to keep her alive, certainly more creative than just giving her the Talisman of Preservation. I am going to try it myself I think, though I suspect the Tali will be worth the extra 10 points. 4+ ward and regaining wounds? Sounds like one tough lady!

Does RoH affect friendly spells? Because that would be a drawback.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

+1 to all the likes ;) :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Harkonnen
Shade

Post by Harkonnen »

Drek wrote:I thought Fencers were an interesting choice, so much so that I had to go read their rules! :-)

Anything WS4 or lower needs 5's to hit her. It's an intriguing way to keep her alive, certainly more creative than just giving her the Talisman of Preservation. I am going to try it myself I think, though I suspect the Tali will be worth the extra 10 points. 4+ ward and regaining wounds? Sounds like one tough lady!

The thing is, with proper magic usage, she should have 5++ or even 4++ up... Possibly boosted T aswell...
Making spending 45 points on another ward save abit wasted imo...

And indeed I waited till i recieved the book before including RoH (for it's exact wording); but it specifically mentions ONLY enemy casters that are casting or targetting a spell near the ring. So I think it's awesome :) Giving the Exec horde MR3, and giving my Lifesorc and BSB protection vs Death Magic, and on top of that added chances of miscasting.

--> I have some opponents that are.. good at rolling 1s *grin grin*
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

You said you killed 3 crushes in single blows, Do you mean Killing blow? is it possible to Killing blow Monstrous Cavalry with standard "Killing Blow"?
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Dirty Mac wrote:You said you killed 3 crushes in single blows, Do you mean Killing blow? is it possible to Killing blow Monstrous Cavalry with standard "Killing Blow"?

You can not killing blow anything except for: infantry, standard cavalry, and war beasts. Monsters, Monstrous inf, cav and beasts, chariots are specifically excempt from the rule... So he cant have KB'ed 3 skullcrushers, but I am going to assume that he meant he inflicted enough wounds to kill all of them? It seems strange for a chaos player to allow his MC to be killing blow'ed.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

Thraundil wrote:
Dirty Mac wrote:You said you killed 3 crushes in single blows, Do you mean Killing blow? is it possible to Killing blow Monstrous Cavalry with standard "Killing Blow"?

You can not killing blow anything except for: infantry, standard cavalry, and war beasts. Monsters, Monstrous inf, cav and beasts, chariots are specifically excempt from the rule... So he cant have KB'ed 3 skullcrushers, but I am going to assume that he meant he inflicted enough wounds to kill all of them? It seems strange for a chaos player to allow his MC to be killing blow'ed.

Well, I could killing blow a dragon, If I had Heroic Killing Blow, But thats beside the point, I am trying to see if HE thought HE could killing blow Skull Crushers, Because he said single blows, Maybe he meant he didn't need re-rolls?
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Harkonnen
Shade

Post by Harkonnen »

I didn't mean I KB'd the remaining crushers (one of which only had 1 wound left btw iirc)
But my remaining execs (20 or so), did exactly enough wounds to kill them (7 wounds i guess). Which was pretty lucky i guess, well, about half atks should hit, all should wound, but he should save half then. I think he rolled bad on the savings ;p And they strike simultaneously with the riders, but before the mounts (which hit harder...), so i didn't lose all that many myself hehe.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Harkonnen wrote:
Drek wrote:I thought Fencers were an interesting choice, so much so that I had to go read their rules! :-)

The thing is, with proper magic usage, she should have 5++ or even 4++ up... Possibly boosted T aswell...
Making spending 45 points on another ward save abit wasted imo...

And indeed I waited till i recieved the book before including RoH (for it's exact wording); but it specifically mentions ONLY enemy casters that are casting or targetting a spell near the ring. So I think it's awesome :) Giving the Exec horde MR3, and giving my Lifesorc and BSB protection vs Death Magic, and on top of that added chances of miscasting.

--> I have some opponents that are.. good at rolling 1s *grin grin*

I found the ring to be HUGE with the psychological factor. Your opponent will really reconsider trying to push through those 6 dice Dwellers and and such.
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

Enjoyed your BatRep! It was easy to read and understand and very entertaining.