3 game report 1k versus WoC, DE, Skaven

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Jvh792
Highborn

3 game report 1k versus WoC, DE, Skaven

Post by Jvh792 »

I played 3 games today with my 1k list found here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73173

The premise of the list was that 4 RBT was a lot for 1000 points.

Usually I make pretty pictures with my reports, but my army was so static that it's not worth my time to do that. No one ever seems to care much anyways.

First I played against skaven. I figured this was the worst possible matchup for me as he had large blocks or infantry to grind down my RXB units.

His list:
40 clan rats
40 clan rats
1 lightning cannon
2 weapons teams
1 guy with doom rocket
2 rat darts with handler

Deployment saw me drop my bolt throwers on a hill with the RXB units screening them.
Turn 1 I shoot his cannon down to one wound. He walked forwards and tried to shoot my RBT with his cannon, but only hit at S4. No wounds.
Turn 2 I shoot his cannon down with 1 rbt, and shoot the two rat darts down to 2 rats a piece and kill both weapons teams with RXB. Rat darts panic. They were threatening my RBT, so I was thrilled that they panicked.
Turn 3 I get a withering off on his first unit of clanrats making them T1. I turn them into a bloody mist with a cloud of bolts. 6 remain by the end of the turn. He didn't panic, but was vaporized when he charged. His other unit with his greyseer and BSB charged after, but fail to make it in.
Turn 4 I got withering off on the other unit of clanrats and took them down to T2. I got a mindrazor on the large unit of RXB. After shooting... I left them with 24 rats standing. He charged. 17 rats standing. Combat took place, 9 rats standing.
Turn 5 He gets off a 13th, but too little too late. A flank charge seals their fate. He breaks, but gets away, and he concedes after failing to get off another 13th to finish a unit.

I was happy with how I played this with 1 exception. I miasma'd the unit with the characters to make them slower when I should have hit his other unit so I could kill his magic faster.
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Jvh792
Highborn

Re: 3 game report 1k versus WoC, DE, Skaven

Post by Jvh792 »

Super tired, so I'll post other games tomorrow
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Jvh792 wrote:I played 3 games today with my 1k list found here: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73173No one ever seems to care much anyways.
Strongly disagree, but of course, you are right not to spend a disproportionate part of your time to that.
Thanks for the quick report already.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
strategem
Cold One Knight

Post by strategem »

Jvh792 wrote:I played 3 games today with my 1k list found here: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73173

Usually I make pretty pictures with my reports, but my army was so static that it's not worth my time to do that. No one ever seems to care much anyways.

would love to see pics if you have them. I find it so much more helpful to understand what was happening, cause it also shows angles of units and terain and distances.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

That's awesome that you guys love the reports! Good to know my time isn't wasted.
However, I'll only draw one for you guys. And it's not this one.
The reason I'm not drawing this one is that I really didn't move at all. Just 1 time to redirect a charge.

Game 2 Versus Dark Elves:
His list:
8 CoK
20 Execs
LVL 4 life
20 RXB

Deployment:
He goes first and puts his RXB in the center. I see an opportunity to make them useless, which is over 1/4 of his army. So I hug the left flank and drop my small RXB unit.
He drops the CoK across from them. I drop the RBT behind the small unit. He drops execs next to the CoK and I drop the big RXB across from them. Unfortunately there is a forest in the way. So that sucks. I was pretty confident I could shoot him down anyways because of his lack of models and t3 across the board.
Turn 1: He gets first turn. Dangit. He marches with every one. His RXB are nowhere near anybody still. For his magic I dispel throne and he fails dwellers.
On my turn, His army was threatening a charge on my large block. So I march up the small block to block the knights (they were hugging left table edge and could wheel around, and offer a flank to the execs. I shoot the knights with bolt throwers down to 2 left. I kill those 2 with RXB fire. Magic, I failed to do anything.

Turn 2: He charges with his execs into my flank. YAY! He took the bait. His RXB march up again. Magic sees him fail flesh to stone with double ones. LOL. I kill 1 exec, then am broken and run down. He runs off the board. Kinda works out...
I reform slightly to prepare for the execs and also get some shots on his rxb. Magic has his RXBs miasma's down 1 bs, ws, m, I. I shoot his rxb to about half strength since the execs are off the board.

Turn 3: Execs come back on the board and stand there. RXBs march again. Finally in charge range. For magic, I give him throne to stop flesh to stone.
On my turn, I enfeeble his execs to S1 and he stops the withering. I shoot down about half the unit.

Turn 4: He charges the execs into my large RXB unit. I stand and shoot him down to 6 guys left. I stop his flesh to stone again. I kill all 6 of his guys before he can hit me. Go murderous prowess! Huge rolls to wound kills his execs and draws the concede from him.
He is a great friend and happy opponent. Didn't pout one bit, but did throttle me shortly after the game.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Game 3 vs WoC
Deployment: He drops his warriors unit in the middle. I see another chance to make 25% of an army useless. So I deploy on the furthest flank possible. He drops his Cav even further away. I begin to scratch my head wondeirng what his plan is. I have only played 2 games versus WoC and am wary of trickery. I drop my large unit of rxb next to their friends. His gorebeast chariot comes down EVEN FURTHER away. I don't know what to do at this point... Cannot believe my opponent. The drop the rbt 2 behind my small crossbows, another further right so he can't hide from them all at once, and the last goes down on the far right to make sure there is nowhere to hide, and also to bait him. He he commits any part of his army to get that rbt, he is never going to get that units points back. Deamon prince uses warriors as a screen and the caster goes into the warriors, but he rolled fate of bjuna, so he is basically useless.

I win the first turn. Oh ya, for magic I rolled withering, enfeebling, Miasma, Pit of shades.

Movement: I move the RXB onto a hill and out of the way of the RBT.

Magic: I miasma the warriors and made them slower.

Shooting: I blast down 2 of the Cav leaving only the musician. Rolled 2 hits and a 5,6 on D3 wounds.

That cav unit is what made me fall in love with RBT. They killed 8 of them in one round of shooting because he had them ranked up and I had a cauldron near them (agreed that the muderous prowess was conferred to the shot from cauldron's broken rule.

Movement: General advance, like Chaos do. He commits the chariot to my bolt thrower. We didn't realize it, but he was marching the chariot. He was new to 8th ed.

Magic: haha.

Shooting: haha.

Movement: I square up my guys on the hill and wait. No rush here.

Magic: I make the warriors slower by 1. He dispells withering.

Shooting: I blast the last cav off with 1 shot. Lucky me. All 3's on D3 wounds. Other bolt thrower takes 2 wounds off the Deamon prince. Last 2 bolt throwers can't see the prince, so they hit the warriors killing 3.

Movement: Warriors shuffle forwards like they do. The deamon prince lines up a charge on my RBT. Chariot does the same on the other flank.

Magic: rofl

shooting: lolz

Movement: I shuffle up to get in range of the deamon prince and warriors.

Magic: I get a withering off on the warriors and make them T1. My D3 rolls have been rather nuts this game.

Shooting: I whiff the deamon prince, but completely wipe the warriors unit to the man.

movement: he charges the bolt thrower with the chariot and reforms to face the large block of RXB. I guess he figured he needed to kill the sorc to have a chance, but by doing this he allowed me another round of shooting on him. Kinda just a bad spot to be in no matter what.

Shooting: -.-

magic: :P

combat: wipe the unit of impact hits
Movement: I shuffle back to dodge the charge arc of the deamon prince.

Magic: I go for withering on the prince, dispelled. Got enfeebling. Yay?

Shooting: I whiff with the onl bolt thrower that can see him. All the other shots from RXB whiff or fluff.

Movement: We realize he has been marching his chariot. Oops. Deamon prince gets close enough to negate stand and shoot.

movement: i reform to eat the charge and shuffle back.

Magic: I wither the prince to T4.

Shooting: I kill him with RXB fire.

He concedes.

Key to victory:
-His terrible deployment.
-There was only one turn where he had a combat phase. Hard to win with Chaos like that.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Lemme know you read it, lemme know what I could have done better! Thanks all!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Jvh792 wrote:Lemme know you read it, lemme know what I could have done better! Thanks all!
Read it all. Thanks for report. Excellent use of a large terrain.
Compliments for the win.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Jvh792 wrote:

On the contrary, batreps with pictures are the only ones I like to read!

I enjoyed the warrior unit getting mashed by shooting. You seemed pretty lucky in your to hit rolls - single shots don't always land so regularly, even with 4 RBT!

Thanks for the write up :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
strategem
Cold One Knight

Post by strategem »

great reports. thanks for the info and time that you put into them
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

@ T.D.
I actually used the multiple shot for consistency. They would about the same with either shot, but I went with the consistency factor of the multiple shot.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

I thought you were causing D3 wounds on the MC?
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Oh ya... thought you were still talking about the warriors :P
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Excellent positioning and deployment. You won half the game right there, but the solid execution made it gold. There really isn't much to add to it. Deployment and use of terrain was very good. The move with RXBs took me a little by surprise, but it was a very smart move.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Ya, they couldn't shoot early in the game and I wanted to get out of the way of my RBT and also make it so he couldn't overrun into my RBT if things went bad.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Thanks for great reports!

I really appreciate illustrated battle reports, but I wish there was a "Like" button so I could easily show my appreciation without making a whole new post :) The most important illustration in my view is Deployment, so you get an overview of the terrain and starting position of units.

Over at the Dark Eldar forum they have an index thread with links to illustrated Battle reports, and I think this would be a great addition to this forum as well. It would also encourage more people to produce nice, illustrated reports.

About your games I can't really see that you could have played the games any differently, you seem to have performed extremely well with that (quite nasty!) shooting list. I think your hardest opponents with that kind of list would have been Vampire Counts (any Ethereals would have smacked you silly), and possibly DoC as they are quite resilient to your shooting and Beasts of Nurgle would have been extremely hard to shift.

Looking forward to more reports!

//Seto
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Setomidor wrote:Over at the Dark Eldar forum they have an index thread with links to illustrated Battle reports, and I think this would be a great addition to this forum as well. It would also encourage more people to produce nice, illustrated reports.
If you wish to create such thread (in the D.R.A.I.C.H. spirit, see the tactical forum), I'll sticky it. You will be able to modify it at will.
That would be a nice contribution to D.net! :D
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Thanks man. Ya, ethereals would hurt a lot. I could penumbral pendulum them, or pit of shades, but that's not as reliable. I'd just focus the rest of the shooting to kill the general and his unit and make them all crumble every turn. Redirect the ethereal with my small unit. But ya, that's a good point. We just got a VC player in our store too, so I should watch out for that.
manadar
Trainee Warrior

Post by manadar »

As a new DE player, that's amazing to read report like that ! Congrats :D
May I ask you how you make the diagrams like that ? I miss that so much in the WD now.
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

It's a program called Battle Chronicler. http://www.battlechronicler.com
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Ya, I won't lie Manadar... It took me a bit of time to figure it out. Especially how to put the pictures on the site... hiaouvuilrv;owijefhy2L7FUGIWAGSFYGSXGFAYS Was so frustrating. But I finally got it. If you're better at tech than I am (and I'm lousy) then you could totally do it. It's a great way to get feedback from more experienced players about your play mistakes.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Great reports on the new book, thanks for sharing!
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0