1200p vs beastmen (supernoob) Second game ever

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Trosfuktaren
Warrior

1200p vs beastmen (supernoob) Second game ever

Post by Trosfuktaren »

I've collected and painted warhammer for 10 years with varied enthusiasm, however, i've never played it until recently. I started buying models to build a wood elf and a dark elf army so i've played one time against beastmen with each army. (I barely know any warhammer fantasy players).

Since i'm a beginner i had no clue how to build my army, i searched forums, viewed the army book, battle reps, army lists etc. It finally came down to: "I barely have enough models anyway, lets use the ones i have."

Here's the dark elves:

Lords:
Lvl4 supreme sorc, dark lore, ring of hotek, dispel scroll, 295p

Core:
10 RxB with musician, 130p
10 RxB with musician, 130p
10 Corsairs with handbows, musician 120p (Never doing that again)

Special:
Rbt 70p
Rbt 70p
2 X 5 Shades with GW and LA, 2x95p
5 Cok, full command and standard of discipline, 195p

1200points exactly.

He went with something like this:

Lords:
Beastlord, blabla magic items blabla

Heroes:
Bray shaman lvl 1 (for signature spell)
Wargor, bsb

Around 25 gors (bray-shaman in it)
Tuskgor chariot

28 bestigors (Horde formation with beastlord and bsb)

I thought my list was shitty but i came to understand that shitty did not even justify the performance it made, taken into account that i'm a complete noob. I know loads of rules, some which he forgot about, and i know statlines and specific rules from almost every book but it's a whole different thing to apply them whilst playing.

Here's how it turned out.

img host

Unwise deployment on my part, not only did i put the CoK so that it had zero places to move but they also blocked a RBT. Swell. I placed my Sorc in one of the RxB units. He placed his Bray shaman with the Gors, his bsb and lord with the bestigors.
I should have probably put the left units of shades even far more left at the table edge so that he'd have to charge them and overrun off the table edge or reform and not being able to move, i guess.

screen shot capture

He moves up with everything. He uses his beastmen signature spell with the lvl 1 bray shaman to move everything further up but i dispel scroll it since i have insufficient dispel dice to do anything about it. His tuskgor chariot charged my shades, i stand and shoot, lose two of them to impact hits and a third to the crew. The shades made three wounds almost killing it, combat is tied. His ungor raiders shoots at my RxB on the hill and kills off one.

online photo sharing

I move my shades out of the way of my Cok. The CoK and the corsairs moves up so that both can receive a charge and then charge in their flank next turn. The corsairs are within shooting range and kills two gors. My two RBT and the RxB mage bunker shoots and magic the bestigors to a total of 1 wound. He dispells everything i do and almost all shooting misses. The shades and RxB on the right shoot at the ungors and misses everything due to my cursed gw dice. The tuskgor crew and the pigs kill of my shades and overruns.

screencast

His second unit of ungor raiders show up by one of my RBTs and kills it off, swell. His unit of bestigors moves up in front of my mage bunker and the gors move up in front of my CoK, his bray shaman casts signature and both blocks come into base contact counting as having charged. My sorc along with the 10 RxB dies in an instant. I lose 1 CoK and manage to kill some gors. His tuskgor chariot charges my second unit of RxB. I stand and shoot it down but lose some wounds to impact hits which are apparently resolved simultanuesly. His ungor raiders kills a shade. His unit of bestigors reform as shown on the next img.

take a screenshot

My corsairs charge the gors. With them and the CoK, they do some damage but are one wound away from dropping there stubborness. He kills off some corsairs and two CoK. My RBT shoots at the Bestigor but misses. My shades charges his ungor raiders but they flee. My remaining RxB on the hill shoot at the ungor raiders and manages three wounds.

image upload

His ambushing ungor raiders moves up and shoots down the other RBT. He charges my corsairs, kills them off, he kills the CoK with the gors and then he reforms with both blocks. His top right ungor raiders rally.

free jpeg images

I pretty much do my turn and then i concede.

Might be an uninteresting battle report due to the lack of experiance. I will play and post more however.

There are pretty much too many flaws to my list and my gameplay to start analyzing but i'm going to mention a few things.
* I forgot i could reroll hits in close combat due to ASF and higher initiative.
* Ring of hotek on the sorc and the whole idea of the mage bunker failed brutally.
* Should have dispel scrolled the second time he used the signature spell instead of first one for one extra turn of shooting/ getting charges.
* Corsairs are good but i'll skip the RHB on them in the future.
* Shades against beastmen? Waste of points. They have no warmachines, if they've got a single shaman standing around it might be worth the points. He knew my list and intentionally placed everything so that my shades were rendered more useless than they already were.
* I should exchange my shooting with combat blocks.

New list i have made out. OBS! The list is somewhat tailored for playing against the beastman army again. He's got more models and will probably not run the same setup again.

Dreadlord - Black amulet, dragonhelm

Master, bsb HA, GW, SDC, dragonhelm (shield with bsb no?)
lvl 1 sorc, lore of life, signature spell, dispel scroll

5 dark raiders with rxb
10 corsairs full command

26 executioners full command (dreadlord, bsb and sorc in here)

5 doomfire warlocks

Feedback, protips and thoughts are welcomed.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: 1200p vs beastmen (supernoob) Second game ever

Post by Calisson »

" I stand and shoot it down but lose some wounds to impact hits which are apparently resolved simultanuesly"
No, you killed it with S&S, the charge fails before impact.

Your list was a very shooty list, with only COK as real fighters.
But it is also a static one. Shooting can win games only if you can avoid melee. The sorc and the shooting units could not avoid melee and were logically crushed.

Next list is a better one. Still, it is character heavy (so not that many bodies).
DR need musician. They love to flee when charged, but must rally afterwards.
10 Corsairs are too wmell for FC: you're paying 30 pts for the upgrade!
Execs are great, but having all eggs in same basket may be troublesome. It means that the rest of the army's single goal is to make this unit survive and win the game.

Still, that is a good list to learn other aspects of the game.

And, of course, welcome to D.net!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Trosfuktaren
Warrior

Post by Trosfuktaren »

Calisson wrote:" I stand and shoot it down but lose some wounds to impact hits which are apparently resolved simultanuesly"
No, you killed it with S&S, the charge fails before impact.

Your list was a very shooty list, with only COK as real fighters.
But it is also a static one. Shooting can win games only if you can avoid melee. The sorc and the shooting units could not avoid melee and were logically crushed.

Next list is a better one. Still, it is character heavy (so not that many bodies).
DR need musician. They love to flee when charged, but must rally afterwards.
10 Corsairs are too wmell for FC: you're paying 30 pts for the upgrade!
Execs are great, but having all eggs in same basket may be troublesome. It means that the rest of the army's single goal is to make this unit survive and win the game.

Still, that is a good list to learn other aspects of the game.

And, of course, welcome to D.net!

Thank you for the feedback =) Thinking about removing the dreadlord and lvl1 sorc to put a lvl 4 lifesorc in the executioners unit. Then switching out the warlocks for an additional combat block of 10-15 something, perhaps some dreadspears since i have some of those models.
Amanthus the exile - sorcerrer
Stats: WS2 S3 T5 D3 I5
Equipment: Staff, High elf staff, short sword
Skills: Power of Ghyran (1), alchemy
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Welcome to D.net!

It's nice to see a battlereport from those who are quite new to the gaming. You often do lots of mistakes which are revealed to you during the game, and some things you don't discover until later.

Your first list isn't bad, although it's not optimal either. It's a list where you need some chaff and hold back a bit with your more static shooters and move about with the shades even more.

The second list looks okay, although I'd go with a supreme sorceress lvl 4 (as you had in your first list), and a master bsb (which you can give enchanted shield, luckstone and ogre blade for 1+ armor with one reroll and S6 attacks that still has ASF and gives rerolls to hit). I would personally have run another kind of BSB, usually on a pegasus, but it's easier to just have a more basic BSB at first and learn through more games.

The executioners will take care of a lot of things, even though I don't think they are most ideal against Beastmen... then again, if you have a life sorceress you can get more T and regen to help you out a lot. The main problem with the last list is that you'll lack manouverability and focus everything into one unit. I would have had 3 units of dark riders (with shields and crossbows) instead of one and the corsairs. You'll be getting several shots and can use blocking/fleeing tactics to keep them from charging you. If you don't have any more riders, the corsairs are okay, but shouldn't have anything else than musician with that few numbers.

You could also flesh out the unit of corsairs and have the BSB join them so that you have two units that can match his units. A dark sorceress might still be a good thing to field as you have lots of damaging spells with her (and black horror as well as bladewind is nice to take down big units). If you take her on a dark steed and keep out of his chargerange, you should be fine :)
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Trosfuktaren
Warrior

Post by Trosfuktaren »

Omnichron wrote:Welcome to D.net!

It's nice to see a battlereport from those who are quite new to the gaming. You often do lots of mistakes which are revealed to you during the game, and some things you don't discover until later.

Your first list isn't bad, although it's not optimal either. It's a list where you need some chaff and hold back a bit with your more static shooters and move about with the shades even more.

The second list looks okay, although I'd go with a supreme sorceress lvl 4 (as you had in your first list), and a master bsb (which you can give enchanted shield, luckstone and ogre blade for 1+ armor with one reroll and S6 attacks that still has ASF and gives rerolls to hit). I would personally have run another kind of BSB, usually on a pegasus, but it's easier to just have a more basic BSB at first and learn through more games.

The executioners will take care of a lot of things, even though I don't think they are most ideal against Beastmen... then again, if you have a life sorceress you can get more T and regen to help you out a lot. The main problem with the last list is that you'll lack manouverability and focus everything into one unit. I would have had 3 units of dark riders (with shields and crossbows) instead of one and the corsairs. You'll be getting several shots and can use blocking/fleeing tactics to keep them from charging you. If you don't have any more riders, the corsairs are okay, but shouldn't have anything else than musician with that few numbers.

You could also flesh out the unit of corsairs and have the BSB join them so that you have two units that can match his units. A dark sorceress might still be a good thing to field as you have lots of damaging spells with her (and black horror as well as bladewind is nice to take down big units). If you take her on a dark steed and keep out of his chargerange, you should be fine :)

Thank you =) I know the executioners are not ideal against beastmen, but i ran some simulations with different units of dark elves against beastmen combat blocks just to see how they'd perform in a 1block vs 1block close combat situation and executioners worked best for their points. In this particulur situation they were better than blackguard but i guess they fill another purpose being automatically stubborn. I'm not speaking from experiance so this might sound dumb =)

I like your idea of exchanging corsairs for more dark riders, i'm going to redo my list!

I see people all over the forum having their bsb on a peg, how does that work practically? What advantages are there?
Amanthus the exile - sorcerrer
Stats: WS2 S3 T5 D3 I5
Equipment: Staff, High elf staff, short sword
Skills: Power of Ghyran (1), alchemy