2500 Friendly Match vs. WoC *Report Finally Finished*

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Datalink7
Noble

2500 Friendly Match vs. WoC *Report Finally Finished*

Post by Datalink7 »

Hi all,

Had a game vs. a great local opponent playing WoC without a Daemon Prince.

I took this list:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73863

Except I dropped the Bloodshade and Light Armor from the Shades and took Cry of War instead.

His list was:

Level 4 of Nurgle with 2+/4++
Festus
BSB with Crown of Command

25 Warriors of Nurgle with Shield, Halberd
Chariot of Slaanesh
Chariot of Slaanesh
5 Maruader Horsemen

Gorebeast Chariot of Khorne
Chimera with Regen, Breath Weapon

4 Skullcrushers

Here's what the deployment looked like after vanguard:

WoC Turn 1

So he charges both units of dark riders with chariots. I flee with both. One 12" right back into its starting spot, the other 10". He generally advances everything but at a cautious pace. Doesn't want to suffer a charge. Skullcrushers swing around to hit me in the flank if I move out. His horsemen move up to block both the warlocks and the Kharibdyss on the left (I couldn't redraw it perfectly but he is set up to block both so the Kdyss can't hit the skullcrushers in the flank.

Magic saw him roll a 9 plus 1 channel, but then fail to cast the first spell on a 10 with three dice. So magic did nothing.

Dark Elves Turn 2

Ok, so my first turn went pretty decently. I charged the Warlocks in to the Horsemen to get rid of them. Swung the other warlocks to threaten the flank up top. I needed to do something about the Skullcrushers so I decided to sacrifice some Dark Riders to prevent them from moving (or be forced to overrun and present a flank to the witch elves).

I put the Harpies in front of a Chariot and the Warriors to stop them from moving up. Kdyss on the left moves into position to flank the Skullcrushers. Everything else moves up but not too far. Trying to stay out of range of his chariots at this point.

I plant my Dreadlord in the rear of the Skullcrushers.

During the magic phase I roll a 7. I decide to go big and throw 6 dice at a big doombolt for the Chimera. I roll 3x6's (Warlocks lose 1 model). This translated into 14 S5 hits and 9 S1AP hits. Overall it didn't kill it though, but I brought it down to 1 wound.

The shooting phase saw the Bolt Throwers finish off the Chimera. Was pretty excited about t hat.

Combat saw the Warlocks easily kill the horsemen (they didn't even get to strike).

WoC Turn 2

He charged my Dark Riders with his chariot, and the other chariot charged the harpies. He declined to charge with any of his big blocks and instead flipped his Skullcrushers around (later admitted he should not have done this) to face the Dreadlord.

Magic saw him get Rancid Visitations off on the Witch Elves. I believe he killed 6-7 before I made a toughness test.

Combat saw the Dark Riders easily killed by the chariot. However, amazingly, he only did 2 wounds to the harpies with the other chariot, including impact hits!. They needed a 3 on the break test to hold. I got it on a reroll! Go Harpies!

Dark Elves Turn 2

So I had a choice here. Try to gang up on the Skullcrushers, or ignore them. I decided to ignore them.

Dreadlord charged the chariot hanging out behind them and hit it in the flank. I had wanted to maybe overrun into the big block of warriors to assist the Witch Elves, however...

Witch Elves charged the Warrior block, needing something like a 5 or 6, and failed their charge.

Warlocks on the upper flank charge the side of a Gorebeast chariot to hold it up.

Kharibdyss on the right tried to charge a chariot. Needed a 9, so a long charge, and failed.

So in response to that, I had to sacrifice the Dark Riders on the right flank to hold up the warriors again.

Everythign else moved up into position to support future combats.

Magic saw nothing happen for me.

Shooting the bolt throwers did nothing (which is what they would do for turns 2-5, failing to hit every single time, but they would make up for it in turn 6, just wait and see).

Combat saw the Dreadlord do 3 wounds, but he amazingly saved 2 of them on 6's. So I only ended up doing 2 wounds in total (with the D3 wounds). He fled, and I decided not to pursue since the Witch Elves had failed in their charge.

Harpies were finished off by his chariot.

Warlocks I think ended up taking 1 wound, winning combat by 1, but the Chariot held.

WoC Turn 3

His turn he charged the chariots into the Witch Elves and Kharibdyss. The Witch Elves one made it, the other failed.

The Skullcrushers turned back around to face the middle.

In the magic phase, he managed to get off -D3 toughness spell AND the magic missile against the Witch Elves. I thought I was in major trouble. However, after the first iteration I passed my toughness test! I was so excited to see the "1" on the die I danced around the store :P

So I only ended up losing I think 2 Witch Elves.

Combat saw me to only a few wounds to his chariot, and it managed to hold on I think a Leadership 7 test.

I lost another Warlock up top but they were holding that Gorebeast Chariot in place. I think I actually won this combat which was good as it then lost Frenzy attacks.

Dark Elf Turn 3

I charged my shades plus assassin into the back of the Skullcrushers to try to hold them up. I made two mistakes here. 1) I should never have charged them at all as they were most likely to just die, particularly with stomps. But 2) I forgot to reform them into a 3 frontage formation the previous turn. This would have meant 1 less Skullcrusher attacking them when they charged in, for no loss of attacks.

I moved my Dreadlord to block the skullcrushers if they wiped out the Shades plus Assassin.

Warlocks on the left moved in to block the Warriors.

Cold One Chariots moved up into better position.

Kbyeast AGAING failed its charge.

Magic Phase saw nothing important happen.

Shooting saw two more misses from the bolt thrower.

In combat I killed the Chariot that was fighting the Witch Elves.

The Assassin popped up and did 2 wounds. The Shades did 1 more wound, so at least I killed 1 Skullcrusher. However, they then killed the whole unit. I was hoping for at least 1 to survive so that they would be forced to pursue to the rear, but it wasn't to be so.

WoC Turn 4

Skullcrushers are forced to charge the dreadlord.

Warriors of Nurgle charge the warlocks, beat them in combat, and overrun into the Kharibdyss.

One of his chariots charges the Witches but thankfully I beat it in combat and it flees, leaving me positioned to charge the Warriors (I rolled a low overrun).

Magic saw him get off the Regen spell so his warriors now have 4+ Regen. Also, he got off the spell that everyone in Base to Base has -3WS and -3I. This was huge as I now wouldn't have rerolls in combat.

In combat, the Dreadlord took 1 wound, did nothing in return, but held on BSB reroll.

Dark Elf Turn 4

Finally, to the main event!

I charge 1 chariot and the Witch Elves into the flank of the Warriors. I repositioned one chariot to help out the Dreadlord on the following turn.

The Kbeast on the right charged the fleeing chariot to make it get further away, redirected but failed to make the charge to help the warlocks.

Magic saw me try to get off a soulblight but with only 1 warlock left, so it was the only spell, he just threw all his dice at it.

Bolt Throwers again double miss on the chariot.

In combat, with the Kharibdyss forcing a reroll, he failed his Cry of War test. Now we were both WS1 which helped immensely.

He challenged with his champion and I accepted with my champion. He killed my champion and became toughness 5.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I ended up winning combat, but not by a lot. If I had not have had Cry of War, I don't think I would have won. He easily makes his leadership 9 stubborn test.

The Kharibdyss to the front took 3 wounds only, so it managed to attack and to do its thunderstomps.

The Skullcrusher/Dreadlord combat saw no wounds to either side, and Dreadlord held on leadership 9.

WoC Turn 5

His chariot finally rallied off to the side. He had no new charges.

Magic saw him get off the buffed regen on his warrior unit, but fail to get the nurgle miasma thing, so I'll get rerolls!

In combat the Skullcrushers and Dreadlord again did nothing to each other. The Gorebeast Chariot on the right finally finished off the warlocks (but I'd say they did their job!).

The main combat ended up having his Level 4 challenge. He again failed his fear test thanks to the Kharibdyss and -3 LD. I accepted with the Death Hag, who had 1 wound on her at the time. However, due to him only having WS1, he missed with everything. I did 1 wound to him. However, still had some way to go as I forgot to mention that he had +1 wound and T from Nurgle casting.

With rerolls, I ended up doing quite a bit of casualties, without taking too many in return. However, due to Stubborn Crown he was fine. He then reformed so I wouldn't have a flank anymore.

I reformed as well to try to g et a little more distance between the Chariot now free from combat, and to also get some ranks (I was down to only 2 anyway at this point with Horde formation).

Dark Elves Turn 5

Sorry I messed up the graphic here a little bit so it is confusing. His chariot isn't really charging on my turn.

I charged my Kbeast into the flank of t he Warriors.

I charged my CoC into the flank of the Skullcrushers. This was also on the flank that the Dreadlord was in a challenge. I figured, I'd get impact hits, a flank, and a charge and get no strikes back so I should be pretty good to win the combat now.

My Bolt Throwers managed to do the last wound to the Gorebeast Chariot that was now out of combat.

In combat, My chariot fails to do ANY wounds with impact hits. Then the Skullcrushers manage to get 1 wound on the Dreadlord. This means a tied combat, and he has musician.

I then proceed to roll an 11 or 12 FOUR TIMEs with BSB rerolls, so BOTH the chariot AND the dreadlord flee. Luckily they both get away, but still, that was ridiculous.

However, the other combat went well. My Cold One Knights on the CoC attacked Festus, who they were now in BTB with. Two Attacks, Two wounds. Two failed 3+ regen saves, and Festus goes down! No more regen and poison for the warriors unit.

The challenge ends up being a wash. However, witches and Kdyss bring the warrior models down to around 5 or so left (plus BSB and Level 4). Looking better at this point. I think I have about 12 Witches left, though still plenty of tanks because of the Cauldron.

WoC Turn 6

He turns the Skullcrushers around so that he doesn't get charged in the rear. Chariot charges the Kdyss.

In combat, I kill off the rest of the Warriors in the unit, so there is just a BSB and Level 4 left. They kill the CoC but it isn't enough. THey fail their Crown of Command stubborn test because of the reroll forced by the Kdyss, and I run them down!

The Kdyss turns to face the chariot (I think he only took 1-2 wounds total).

Dark Elves Turn 6

Final phase. Kdyss and Chariot do nothing to each other. Bolt Throwers however decide to finally sight in. One bolt thrower hits the Skullcrusher in the flank, does 3 wounds in the flank, penetrates, does 3 wounds, penetrates, does 2 wounds. The Other bolt thrower finishes the last Skullcrusher off!

This turns the game into a resounding massacre.

In combat, the Chariot and Kbeast get a draw (I think one wound each, I hit twice and wounded once).

So at the end, I had:

Dreadlord with 2 wounds on him
Death Hag with 1 wound on her
Cauldron (never even attempted to get touched)
About 8 Witch Elves
Cold one Chariot
Kbeast with 3 wounds on him
2x Bolt Throwers

He had:

Thanks for reading.

Also, if some of the pictures seem inaccurate, it's probably because they are. Still trying to figure out how to use Battle Chronicler.
Ashes and Diamons,
Foe and Friend,
We are all equal,
In the End.
Datalink7
Noble

Re: 2500 Friendly Match vs. WoC *Report Finally Finished*

Post by Datalink7 »

Finally got the post fully updated.
Ashes and Diamons,
Foe and Friend,
We are all equal,
In the End.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Very nice battle. It seems it was indeed a massive mistake to turn his skullcrushers to chase a flying character, that easily cost him the game. Massacre :)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Datalink7
Noble

Post by Datalink7 »

Thraundil wrote:Very nice battle. It seems it was indeed a massive mistake to turn his skullcrushers to chase a flying character, that easily cost him the game. Massacre :)

Oh yeah that was huge. When I declined to charge the unit and hit the chariot behind them instead, he said "well, that was stupid of me".
Ashes and Diamons,
Foe and Friend,
We are all equal,
In the End.
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Congrats and thanks for the write up!
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
AemKei81
Trainee Warrior

Post by AemKei81 »

Great report, and well played. Thanks a lot