Sangfroids army development kitchen: #1 v High elves

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sangfroid
Executioner

Sangfroids army development kitchen: #1 v High elves

Post by Sangfroid »

Greeting fellow slavers,

I am going to start collecting a record of my battles here to share my experiences following a long break from WHFB (15 yrs) and hopefully engage in discussion and feedback from the community to improve my game. Also to give a resource for others to learn from what will be many mistakes and I hope some constructive discussions as time progresses.

I have also just started to use battle chronicler so eventually hope to have mastered this tool and give back to the community some great looking reports, cause let's face it we all love a nicely presented battle report win,lose or draw.

Part one: 2000pt v high elves:

I have been invited by my club to attend a one day tournament in June, this will be my first ever event and so on Monday I got to try out my ideas for a 2000pt list to take along. There is no comp so anything goes! I favour a fast list and generally want to avoid monsters and war machines but ultimately want to be able to take on all comers

Sangfroid (Dreadlord): Ogre Blade; Armour of Destiny; Dragonbane Gem; shield; Sea Dragon cloak; Dark Pegasus 296

Cerefel (Master): Cloak of Twilight; heavy armour; lance; Sea Dragon cloak; shield; Dark Pegasus 188
Dalandas (Master): Dawnstone; Dragonhelm; lance; Sea Dragon cloak; shield; Dark Steed; Battle Standard 154

10 Black Ark Corsairs: repeater handbows; Reaver; musician; standard bearer 140
10 Black Ark Corsairs: repeater handbows; Reaver; musician; standard bearer 140
5 Dark Riders: shields; repeater crossbows; musician 110
5 Dark Riders: shields; repeater crossbows; musician 110

18 Black Guard of Naggarond: Tower Master; musician; standard bearer 300
9 Cold One Knights: Dread Knight; musician; standard bearer 300

10 Doomfire Warlocks: Master of Warlocks 260

1,998 points

I have agonised over what too include but my must haves were dreadlord and a master on Pegasus and cold ones knights This lead to me deciding that I am going to not take a SS, (shock) my magic phase will consist of me max dicing doombolt and soul blight, best case 6 dice both worst case 2 dice a small SB. I kind of realised that these two spells are all i need and not taking the SS gives me the DL and from my limited experience so far he is a beast.

The high elves consisted of:
Cadaryan and Ashanti phoneix
Level 4 high magic (in PG)
25 Phoenix guard
15 silver helms
30 archers
2 x bolt throwers
2 x great eagles

The tourney will use battle line, meeting engagement and blood & glory as scenarios, we roll up blood and glory and so after rolling and placing terrain we deploy, and I get first turn

DE turn 1

I had forgotten about the 9 inch from the side edge restriction on deployment so when he dropped his frostie i had to put my locks behind by Cok, their mission was to 6 do bolt the bird to oblivion so with vanguard moves and normal movement the table looks as below at the end of my turn. In magic he dispels the DB by 1, I get off a normal Sb on the frosty. Shooting sees me kill his left great eagle and in the first of the days crazy leadership rolls he panics both the PG (with his general) and the frostie! Sadly the evil asur have valour of the ages and as the reroll. (Who said muderous prowess was OP!!) everything else moved up and my DL is actually in the blackguard unit as his heavy hitters were all,this side so I wanted him some little protection from what spells and shots until I get stuck in. I also put my cot master with his butt facing the second eagle hoping for him to take the bait thus denying any bolts shots at him. My other dark rides kill a couple of archers.

HE turn 1

He doesn't take the bait (obviously) and moves his eagle towards my lines, he then charges everything into my canon fodder corsairs. Magic sees hand of glory on the frosty only. In shooting I lose two dark riders in front of his archers they hold, my cot master takes 12 shots in the face, 4 wounds 4 saves phew! (we debated here whether he should have shot just two big bolts I agreed on balance that the multi shots were the best option thoughts anyone?) in combat as expected his silver helms steamroll through my corsairs who kill one or two via stand &shoot and combat but the remaining 5 flee. His PG and frosty kill 7 corsairs who also flee (kill a guard or two in return) but importantly during the combat his frosty lost b2b contact so cannot pursue, leaving him to reform to face the Cok. Even more significant his PG needing only a 4 to overrun into my BG roll a 3, this is a massive turning point in the battle as we will later see.

DE turn 2

To the east my cot master and dark riders engage the warmachines. My Cok declare a charge on the frosty and for the first time in 9 games I fail stupidity...... Even with the BSB in the unit providing a re roll (10 then 11) gutted. My locks and dark rides encircle and corsairs both rally. Annoyed at the Cok my warlocks step up to the plate 6 dice a boosted doom bolt at the frosty..... Fail to cast damn. My dr kill a couple of archers and it's on to combat. In the east my cot master overruns through the first bolt thrower and fights again and kills he second before the DR even swing (nice) both reform to threaten the archer block. In e centre lord sangfroid steps up 4 attacks 4 dead silver helms, the black guard add another 3 or 4 I lose a couple of bg but win massively he rolls snakes eyes and holds.

HE turn 2

PG charge the BG, frosty charges the stupid Cok, archers bravely march away and the eagle try's to block my DR. Magic sees him IF a hand of glory on the Phoenix guard and the miscast detonates and kills, wait for it ..... Wait 1 PG, 1 SH and 10 black guard (his Mage was on the corner of the unit) ouch! The only consolations he gets sucked away so at least his general is dead. Cadrayn challenges I accept with my dread knight he only causes 1 wound (amazingly good saves from me) I win combat due to musician and he breaks (rolls 11) oh dear my Cok then run him down. I felt really bad for him here even though in my favour I was quite excited at getting to grips with my first frosty and my locks were perfectly positioned for a rear charge too if needed. In the main event sangfroid incensed by the destruction of his men ravages through the silver helms and between him Pegasus and remaining blackguard they are destroyed to the elf. His pg challenge, I accept with tower master who dies we end up with 5 bg and Dl reforming into full contact with pg and around 20 pg left.

DE turn 3

Dark rider and cot charge archers who flee and get run down, other dark riders kill eagle in shooting. Warlocks charge pg and fail to cast 6 dice soul blight (I hate magic) there is a massacre in the centre my bg get destroyed but between Dl and locks win combat the pg run and are caught by the locks.

Great game and a flattering 20-0 victory for me! A couple of dice rolls went my way the first was the failed overrun of the PG (I wouldn't have lasted for my locks to rear charge) and his poor frosty running away

On Monday another practice organised against daemons of chaos, looking forward to it!