Dark Elves vs Lizardmen 2000pts

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

earache666
Corsair

Dark Elves vs Lizardmen 2000pts

Post by earache666 »

I apologise beforehand for the quality of this battle report (if it can even be called that???).

Well, it is with much shame and regret that I write that I was defeated last night at the hands of the lizardmen and their toad faced Slaan mage. We played a 2000 pt game and I thought I did pretty well considering I am the noob and the guy I played is currently sitting on top of our tourney ladder with only one loss. I stayed pretty competitive and definitely felt like I used my movement phases a lot better than I have in the past. It took me a lot longer to get my witch elves and cauldron into combat due to crap rolling resulting in TWO failed charges which eventually meant he charged me.
He only used one small unit of skinks which I shot and had them fleeing but here I made the mistake of not pursuing, don't really know why. They eventually rallied and came back to harass me.
My magic phases were terrible mainly due to very unlucky rolls but also due to the magic abilities of his fat slaan mage, he always ended up with more dice than me in my phases and his. He slayed most of my execs with his magic and a salamander. He actually had 2 salamanders and they wreaked havoc.
I used my sorc on peg really well as far as movement goes but unfortunately my rolling really didn't give her the opportunity to use her magic very well.
My darkriders didn't do much. CoK's got an assisting flank charge in on a unit engaged with my witch elves and they did heaps of damages. My doomfire warlocks did ok but, again, due to crap magic rolls they ended up doing more damage in combat than magic but with no armour they didn't last long. And my reaper bolt thrower did a bit of damage but were at long range in most shooting phases. Feel like I should've taken more shooting in the form of darkshards....maybe.
I used my CoK's to lure one of his saurus blocks out, they charged me so I fled and rallied but that was when he redirected into my witch elves then I got into his flank with my CoK's.
The witch elves were excellent although they die in droves. The ward save they got from the CoB saved heaps but they still died pretty quickly. They ended up getting duel charged in the front by two saurus blocks, one of which had his Slaan mage in it. His third saurus unit was taken care of by my remaining execs and warlocks. So far no one in the tournament has been able to whittle his Slaan mage horde block down and damage his mage but last night I managed to kill nearly all of them and got his mage in the front row with only two saurus with him and that was originally a 5x5 or 6x6 unit....I think.
But alas, I still lost. I should've ran his skinks down when I had the chance. But, once again unlucky dice rolls killed me. My second charge attempt for my witches onto one of his saurus blocks, I only needed to roll 4....I rolled a 1 and a 2?!? Three times when rolling for the winds of magic I rolled......you guessed it....a 1 and a 2!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to do a proper battle report but it ended up being a pretty long epic battle where I was on the ropes but managed to fight my way back into and actually make a contest of it and after 6 rounds I couldn't remember enough of every turn to write a concise report.

Anyway what do you all think?
There is happiness for those who accept their fate
But there is GLORY for those who defy it
Cold73
Highborn

Re: Dark Elves vs Lizardmen 2000pts

Post by Cold73 »

Getting the better of a Slann Mage Priest can indeed be very difficult. Especially if you are not rolling even averages for casting spells or rolling for winds of magic.
It is hard to see where you could improve your play style since there is no turn by turn description. But if you have the feeling that you already know where to improve everything should be fine for a next encounter. For Dark Elves movement and placement is often key to winning.

And getting charged in the front by 2 units of Saurus...nasty...even Witch Elves with rerolling to wound will have trouble with that.... Wounding on 5+ is just plain nasty at times.

One thing i wonder about.
I used my CoK's to lure one of his saurus blocks out, they charged me so I fled and rallied but that was when he redirected into my witch elves then I got into his flank with my CoK's.

Why did you use your CoK to lure his saurus out... Where were you Dark Riders or even Warlocks?
i would glady have sacrficed one unit of Dark Riders so i could charge that unit with CoK and Witches.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
earache666
Corsair

Post by earache666 »

It actually happened by accident. I was trying to get my CoKs into position for a flank charge for AFTER my witch elves charged his front but due to the witches TWO failed charge attempts the CoKs ended up a little ahead of the witches....
I didn't actually plan that manouver, it just seemed like a good idea at the time....
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

Sorry to be a rules lawyer but your cold one Knights cannot flee as a charge reaction due to their stupidity making them immune to psychology.
earache666
Corsair

Post by earache666 »

Right, didn't know that???
Can they do a leadership test to try it?
reynakzhen
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by reynakzhen »

I thought coldones are only immune to psych if they had failed their stupidity test.
earache666
Corsair

Post by earache666 »

Yeah man thats the way I understood it too.....but I'm definitely no expert.....
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

the immune to psych is gained by just having the stupidity special rule, so while you can't flee your CoK are also immune to fear, terror and panic tests (they can still break in combat though)
Dark reaper
Highborn

Post by Dark reaper »

Stupidity makes you immune to psychology all the time. In 7th, they had to fail a stupidity test to be ITP, just as reynakzhen says.
reynakzhen
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by reynakzhen »

Ah, got ya. I sometimes get rules mixed up since I've been playing the game since 5th edition. lol