Har Ganeth Invasion Army Blog

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Har Ganeth Invasion Army Blog

Post by Lord Drakon »

In this army blog I will discuss my list, the different units and tactics besides the battle reports of my Har Ganeth Invasion.

Har Ganeth Invasion List (8 drops)

Dreadlord 229
- General
- Heavy Armour
- Sea Dragon Cloak
- Enchanted Shield
- Sword of Might
- Ring of Hotek

Supreme Sorceress 345
- LVL 4
- Light Magic
- Cloak of Twilight
- Dispell Scroll
- Dark Pegasus

Sorceress 90
- LVL 1
- Light Magic
- Dark Steed

Sorceress 90
- LVL 1
- Light Magic
- Dark Steed

BSB Death Hag 300
- Cauldron of Blood

7 Dark Riders, Musician, Shields 129
5 Dark Riders, Shields, RXB 100
27 Witch Elves, Full Command, Razor Standard 372

5 Shades, AHW 90
5 Shades, AHW 90
Reaper Bolt Thrower 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower 70
5 Cold One Knights 150

10 Sisters of Slaughter 150
5 Warlocks 125

T.E.R.R.O.R List

Dreadlord 290
- Lance
- Light Armour
- Sea Dragon Cloak
- Dawnstone
- Cloak of Twilight
- Enchanted Shield
- Repeater Crossbow
- Pegasus

Supreme Sorceress 290
- LVL 4
- Death Magic
- Sacrificial Dagger
- Ring of Hotek

Master 209
- BSB
- Great Weapon
- Sea Dragon Cloak
- Heavy Armour
- Talisman of Preservation
- Charmed Shield
- Pegasus

Sorceress 175
- LVL 2
- Dark Magic
- Tome of Furion
- Mask of EEE
- Dark Steed

Death Hag 130
- Cry of War
- Sword of Anti-Heroes

6 Dark riders, Herald, Musician, Shields, RXB 140
6 Dark riders, Herald, Musician, Shields, RXB 140
31 Dreadspears, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness 324

Reaper Bolt Thrower 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower 70

Kharibdyss 160
Bloodwrack Shrine 175
6 Warlocks 150

Total: 2399
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 204 times in total.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Har Ganeth Invasion Army Blog

Post by Lord Drakon »

Can be deleted
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Can be deleted
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
čiernyčaj
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by čiernyčaj »

Lord Drakon wrote:10 strength 6 attacks with 5 strength 4 attacks on the charge is not to be underestimated.

Just a small technical issue... isn't it the other way around? The raiders should deal 5 S6 attacks (because they have only one attack - p. 42 of our AB) and CO deal 10 S4 attacks.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

You are right, thank you !
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Lord Drakon felt weak without his loyal regiments of executioners. They had to defend the new city, they would rebuild a new Har Ganeth, based on the fundamentals of his Black Ark. Malekith can wait, he will fail eventually, as always.

Only his personal guard of mounted executioners he took with him for this expedition to hunt some deamons and damsels. He remembered the fury of Tullaris when they found out that the Har Ganeth Cold One Knight were plotting against him, to reinstall Malekith's control in the Holy city. Only he, wise as he was, stopped the bloodbath and gave the traitors a choice.

They had to die, that was clear, but he gave them the choice to die under the blade of the executioners, or to die on the battlefield. Most knights chose the latter and swore loyalty. Thus a new band of brothers was founded, they called theirselves: the brothers of slaughter.

After the loss of the knights in Har Ganeth, Lord Drakon chose his most loyal executioners to mount the respected cold ones and form his personal guard. Instead of lance they wielded their draich, able to deal a killing blow atop their monstrous cavalry.

His shades returned.

"My lord ! An Skaven Horde is approaching ! They outnumber us five to one !"

Drakon felt somehow unsure, he had never faced these ratmen, so he ordered his expedition force into defensive positions. He mounted his Manticore and prepared for battle.

Then he saw them.

So besides the modelling blog the army blog is making his entrance as my list will face its first opponent tomorrow (Skaven). I never faced them (only faced elves and vampire counts so far) so I am excited. I will post the battle report after the battle, and will work on the unit tactica and strategies after I got some experience.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

It was a bloody battle ! We had to stop after turn 4 because of time. If we had continued one more turn I think I would be able to massacre his last unit of clanrats with his characters with 48 RXB bolts and 18 RBT bolts (+ possible soulblight).

Does somebody has an Skaven army book ? Can you calculate how much the Skaven player had left for my own record ?

Dark Elves

BSB on Manticore
1 Cold One Knights unit (3 models)
1 Warlock unit (1 model)
1 Dark Rider Unit (2 models)
3 Darkshard Units
3 Reapers
= 1265 points

Skaven

1 Clanrat unit with
- Gray Seer
- BSB Chieftain
- Assassin
- Warlock Engineer
1 Night Runner unit (1 model)
1 Warp Lighning Cannon
1 Warpfire Thrower Weapon team
1 Poison Mortar Weapon team
= ?
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Deployment Phase

I deployed a unit of darkshards first, after which he deployed his plague monks, which I saw as the biggest combat danger (besides Doomwheel). I was especially afraid for the cannon and the catapult so deployed dark riders after darkshards in the middle. After that I was able to put my castle in the corner, most of them LD 9 or 10 within 18" arc of BSB on Manticore. His Doomwheel was placed in the other corner to defend his flank. I was quite happy after deployment.

Spells;
- Power of Darkness
- Word of Pain
- Shroud of Despair
- Soul Stealer

Vanguard Moves

I made a mistake with my dark riders, as I wanted to make sure to take out the cannon in turn 2, so moved them to left flank (to give target saturation for doomwheel) while I should have moved them around the building or right flank.

Dark Elves Turn 1

Movement
RXB move into long range of plague monks, warlocks advance agressively for charge in turn 2. Dark Rider advance unwise in front of his slaves to push besides flank when shades fail (mistake 1). Hydra advances on the flank. Cold One Knights also advance forward (mistake 2). Shades marches full speed towards cannon.

Magic
10 - 5 winds of magic, strong magic phase. Catapult was a big danger to the small units so intented to do a doombolt. I started with soulblight with 5 dice and around 27, which he dispelled with all his dice with 28. Other 5 dice on doombolt on the catapult which he scrolled. At least his scroll was gone for the next turns.

Shooting
30 bolts on the Doomwheel did 4 wounds and nearly killed it ! Enough bolts give enough 6'es and enemy felt uneasy with all that wounds, but was very relieved when Doomwheel survived. Another 60 bolts on the plague monks did 5 wounds, while Reapers shot the catapult and also nearly killed it (1 wound remaining). Good shooting phase, but nothing killed.

Skaven Turn 1

Movement
Enemy slaves charges dark riders, who flee, panicking the other unit and flees both through building and enemy night runner unit. First unit dies because of dangerous terrain tests, the other unit loses 3. The rest of his army advanced. Doomwheel charges Shades. His Night Runners close in on the RBT's.

Magic
He rolls 2 - 1 for winds of magic, his spell is easily dispelled.

Shooting
His catapult and cannon scatter, pfew ! His Jezzails are only able to kill one warlock.

Combat
Combat between Doomwheel and Shades is short and bloody.

Dark Elves Turn 2

Movement
Warlocks charge his jezzails. BSB on Manticore moves to protect the Reapers against chaff and other units coming for the left flank (out of range of general and BSB). I prepare for combat and forms the Shrine of Slaughter. Sisters take positions, joined by Shrine and Sorceress for possible Leadership Bomb with Shroud of Despair with his main units (Plague Monks and Clanrat with Characters). Cold One Knights don't want to take dangerous terrain test after disaster with Dark Riders and shuffle back. Hydra takes position to breath some fire.

Magic
6 - 4 Winds of Magic. I cast 5 on Soulblight on Plague Monks, he let it go through because of my high casting amount. Power of Darkness with the last dice is dispelled. Time for some shooting then !

Shooting
Hydra hits 30 monks, kills 20, BAM. RXBs kill another 15. That big scary unit is now only 10 models.
Reapers try to finish the catapult but all fail to hit or to wound.

Combat
Warlocks make short work of Jezzails and reform for catapult.

Skaven Turn 2

Movement
He charges his slaves into the flank of the Hydra. Last 10 plague monks charge darkshard unit next to the Sister of Shrine unit, lose another 5 by stand and shoot and fail its charge distance. His giant rats block my cold one knights and the other goes for the Reapers. Doomwheel moves as fast as possible to my Reapers, same for the other units. Night Runners move out of sight of my BSB.

Magic
Nothing special, but I had to use my scroll !

Shooting
His catapult scatters from Shrine unit to Hydra and it takes 1 wound. Cannon adds another 2. His Doomwheel kills two slaves. His Mortar weapon team kill a Cold One Knight

Combat

His Slaves are eaten alive by the Hydra, but he wins combat because of flank, charge and rank bonus and the Hydra flees. The slaves capture the Hydra but I don't mind so much.

Dark Elves Turn 3

Movement
Now it was time to finish him. I charged his catapult (which fled so I couldn't overrun) with warlocks. Cold One Knights charge giant rats. The big gamble was to take out his character unit. I charged his last Plague Monks to cause panic test with the slave unit, and hopefully overrun into the Clanrat unit to test the Shrine of Slaughter with Power of Darkness (all + 1 STR) and Shroud of Despair to finish him off. BSB Manticore charged the slave unit of the other side which fled out of terror. Dark Riders rally. Darkshard I and II face to panic the giant rats, while the other units moved out of sight of the slaves if something goes wrong.

Magic
2 - 1 for Winds of Magic ! That was not what I wanted on this big turn ! I tried power of darkness but it got dispelled.

Shooting
Time to concentrate fire to the other side. First reaper took the last wound of the Doomwheel, second missed and third killed 4 Night Runners with volley fire, of which the last one stood. Darkshard units I and II shoot at the giant rats, killing 5 inclusive packmaster so they flee. Darkshards III don't want to sit idle and also shoots some slaves.

Combat
Plague Monks are wiped, causing Slaves to panic. They try to overrun into the clanrats but they fail their charge distance. Cold One Knights also wipes the giant rats, but choses not to overrun through dangerous terrain.

All in all, good turn ! When I had succeeded with the Shrine of Slaughter into the clanrats and some more luck with magic for Shroud, I think that would be it for them.

Skaven Turn 3

Movement
Clanrat unit charges the Cold One Knights. He fails to rally the slaves or giant rats.

Magic
11 - 5 for Winds of Magic ! He kills 3 warlocks, cast a vortex but it comes short and kills another 3 sisters of slaughter with Plague (lucky me !). Painful, but I survived !

Shooting
Now the real pain came. First his warpfire thrower, killing ALL the sisters of slaughter. With his mortar he put some wounds on the Shrine and with his cannon he kills both the Shrine and the Supreme Sorceress. 625 points in 1 shooting phase, my centerpiece combat unit is really not ment for enemy shooting or magic damage.

Combat
I kill a lot of rats, he doesn't kill anything but remains steadfast.

Dark Elves Turn 4

Movement
I charge the manticore into the clanrats to free the Cold One Knights. Dark Riders advances as fast as possible to enemy cannon. The last warlock thinks about charging mortar weapon team but retreats as last magic user (especially soulblight still devastating). Darkshards wield to shoot incoming clanrat + character unit.

Magic
3 - 2 Winds of Magic. Nothing happens

Shooting
I kill some clanrats with RXb, all reapers fail to hit the cannon

Combat
He challenged my master with his champion which got horribly overkilled, cold one knights fluff their attacks while cold ones eats a lot of clanrats but he remains steadfast.

Skaven Turn 4

The last turn because of time.

Movement

He moves his last unit towards combat (or sudden death) as it contains still a lot of characters.

Magic

He does some strange attack killing 5 clanrats, 2 cold one knights and 3 darkshards.

Shooting
His Cannon misfires into the other direction. Mortar team also misfires without effect.

Combat
I kill all his remaining clanrat, he nearly kills off the last cold one knights and I nearly fluff my 2+ saves, but manage to keep them alive. And that was it, a bloody draw or minor win for the Dark Elves !

After game thoughts

- Shooting was very effective (especially against Skaven)
- BSB on Manticore perfect for holding back to defend reapers / darkshards where needed
- 18" BSB re-roll is big
- Cold One Knights are excellent grinders
- Flaming attack against infantry is devastating
- Soulblight loves this army
- Strategy on Shroud is too dependant on power dice
- I will use heavens from now on
- 3 Terror causing units rock against low LD armies
- Shrine of Slaughter is not yet tested in combat, but better to not take risks with it.
- Start with SS and Shrine in Darkshard unit is a good move

What I think had happened when we had enough time for another turn :)

What do you think ?
41spoons
Trainee Warrior

Post by 41spoons »

Thank you very much for the report!

Seems like you did rather well. Not that many mistakes that I saw. Shades and dark riders got thrown away a bit early due to over-committing them. The doom wheel was far enough away from the major part of the battle due to your opponents deployment that you could have saved the shades most likely while still applying pressure. Keep in mind that it is difficult to tell distance from the diagrams so that makes it tough to critique (not that you need much critiquing since you did very well).

DRs are some of the most important pieces for redirecting, screening, causing chaos, etc. so it hurts to lose them that early. Having said that, the dangerous terrain test were unlucky.

Seemed to me that you got pretty lucky that the jezzails didn't wipe the warlocks off the board, but it turned out well. Great use of hydra! The soulblight/breath weapon combo was brilliant.

Sisters probably would have done better on the right flank where there were less shooting threats. Ending up in front of a skaven weapon team really can't happen. That's giving away a lot of points to something that cost very few points. Once that unit gets in combat though...they are going to bring the pain!

I probably would have attempted to get rid of the gutter runners early as possible (magic missile?), focus fired the RBTs at the doomwheel. After that, his whole back line is open to your shades and fast cav. Your opponent then would have to decide to commit to coming toward your main line (which is fine) or turning some of his large blocks on your right flank towards that threat (even better because you can outmaneuver and it gives your main line more time to shoot at his main blocks on the left flank before the right flank even makes it to your lines many turns later).

Overall, you seem to have a very functional list and use it well. I'm very excited to read your future reports and hope to have some of my own in the near future.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I agree that I sacrificed dak riders and shades for no gain. When I had been more careful it would be easy to outmanoevre his army. Especially weapon teams could be shot before becoming close by dark riders or shades.

I will keep Sister with Shrine unit with my darkshard units for LD of the general (and shrine). If shooting at Plague Monks had been less succesfull they would have protected that flank. Although I have to say I was lucky with his catapult missing most shots.

I really felt his army was not that strong, as only his plague monks and doomwheel frightened me, and as soon his right flank departed from their general they were easy to counter with shooting (panic tests) and psychology (terror). Low leadership infantry is not that scary against this list. But even heavy armored cavarly will die fast enough with all these armor piercing bolts I think.

If this terrain was somehow common, with hills for the reapers to either shoot left or right flank it is easy to divert 610 points of shooting and this defensive strategy can work well against more opponents as they have to divert their troops.

In this battle there were not really outstanding units, I would say the Repeater Crossbow (RXB) was the MVP, doing four wounds on the doomwheel, 25 wounds on the plague monks and 5 to giant rats (panicking it). As unit, the warlock unit was most effective. None of the units felt unneffective or not worth including.

Next week I will face Lizzardman of another Druchii.net member DeGroteBaas, until then !

EDIT: I changed some things in the list after the battle. All the Darkshards are given shields, Supreme Sorceress now haves the Cloak of Twlight while Master got Armour of Destiny. To make this possible SS had to give in 1 level of magic. My enemies where advicing me to put musicians on the dark riders and darkshards, but I really don't have the points and like shields on them much more.
41spoons
Trainee Warrior

Post by 41spoons »

Well said! Musicians are good for the swift reform but I understand how removing shields to get them would be a tough decision. I'd keep the shields like you are doing, and if you find that you really need the reform, then you may need to reevaluate. Really looking forward to reading your report against the Lizzie's!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Love a good write up -- thanks!

Your army list is stylish and more flexible than I originally gave it credit for. All that shooting plus Soulblight is golden.

Good play on show from both sides in this one -- looking forward to more reports :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Just before they could finish off the last regiment of ratmen with their stinking leaders, it got charged by some cold-blooded dinasaurs. His host was in need of some more cold ones for his executioners, so he thanked the god for this opportunity. Clearly his force was not the only expedition force in ravaged Bretonnia..

OK, fluff got less and less original but at least something to continue the story of Lord Drakon.
Tomorrow I face lizardmen for the first time, some last-minute changes

- Manticore got 4+
- Cold One Knights got champion
- Shades got AHW
- BSB got fireball
- BSB replaced 4++ for charmed shield
- Darkshards had to sell their shields again, after all, they remain core and least important units of the army
41spoons
Trainee Warrior

Post by 41spoons »

Good luck! I look forward to reading it.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Minor Loss ! I lost about 550 while Lizzies lost 400. I played to turn 4. I still did not get the Shrine of Slaughter into combat, made a lot of mistakes with deployment and movement. When we had played 6 turns I think it would have resulted into a massacre (not in my favour).

Dark Elves
- Reaper
- Reaper
- Reaper
- Darkshards
- Darkshards
- Dark Riders

Lizardmen
- Skinks
- Skinks
- Skinks
- Rippers
- Terradon hero

His list was

Characters
- Slann
- Terradon Hero (killed all reapers)

Core
- 30 Saurus (killed dark riders)
- 10 Skink skirmishers
- 10 Skink skirmishers
- 10 Skink skirmishers

Special
- 25 Temple Guard
- 3 Rippers
- 3 Rippers (killed darkshards)
- Stegadon (killed darkshards)
- Stegadon
- 5 Chameleon Skinks

I do have pictures of our deployment, and baby manticore into action as comet token (only killing three temple guard)

Dark Elves

Lizardmen

Blurry Comet Token

Battle report will follow later. Next week I face vampire counts.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Finally some time to write the battle report ! Last wednesday I was facing lizardmen and lost my first battle, in this report I will reflect on my choices, events and mistakes I made.

The lizardmen brought two blocks, one saurus and one temple guard with his Slann. Besides that he had three skink skirmisher units, two units of rippers, a terradon hero and two stegadens + 1 unit of chameleon scouts. The terrain was more difficult than last time, leaving both flanks open, protected by forests and buildings while the centre was an open field. But I had access to a hill in the centre, making it possible to centre my shooting for the harmonic convergence bonus to shooting.

Therefore my initial battle plan was simple. Castle up, hammers on the flanks hoping to force him to advance through the centre with his infantry blocks. Fiery breath combined with a soulblight and shooting to take out his saurus and redirect his temple guard for a massive charge after the rest had been destroyed. RBT shooting would focus fire on the flying threats first. Shrine of Slaughter would take out 1 stegadon in combat, while the other would be taken off with combined shooting and magic.

For magic I got all the spells I wanted.

- Iceshard Blizzard
- Hamonic Convergence
- Comet

Deployment was as following

Deployment

I was not sure how to defend the right flank, so put the cold ones there. Now I think it would be much better when I had placed my BSB on manticore there also (or only). I do not regret the other choices as I wanted to focus on his left side of the centre (first stegadon and saurus unit). I rolled first for deploying scouts, putting them in the forect (facing the wrong way). He placed his scouts at the left flank of my deployment zone.

The next big mistake is that we forgot (especially me) to vanguard. He suddenly reminded me after he had completed his movement phase, willingly to take back his movements, but as I found it to be my own mistake we continued. Otherwise I could have easily countered his scouts.

Movement
His stegadon takes position by the building at the left flank, still in sight of my RBT. The infantry blocks move forward very little, while skink skirmishers and rippers + flying hero on right flank advance as far as possible. His other stegadon advances also on the right flank, protected by forests.

Magic
Nothing happened

Shooting
His chameleons do 1 wound to the hydra.

Movement
I advance with one unit of dark riders to the advancing skinks, manticore and dark riders face the chameleons for a charge turn 2. Shades and warlocks advance on the left flank to counter the skinks and possible doombolt stegadon. I made a mistake to send the warlocks that far for my shooting, as soulblight is essential for a good shooting phase, and could easily send my dark riders instead. Cold One Knights move backwards to be out of range of the rippers (overestimating their combat abilities)

Magic
Low winds of magic. I cast one iceshard blizzard on the left flank rippers (doing D6 STR 4 hits) because of the lore attribute, but no wounds. Fire ball on chameleon scouts is dispelled with his dice.

Shooting
RBT manage to take off one ripper (5 wounds total). The other crossbow shooting manage to take off some unimportant wounds, but concentrated darkshards kill 5 skirmishers (who manage panic test).

Movement
Some very unpleasant movements for me. He moves his terradon hero just behind the cold ones, threatening the RBT the next turn. His chameleon scouts hide behind the Hydra for the BSB and dark riders. Skinks of left flank advance 1" from warlocks. His other stegadon takes position, while infantry blocks advance slowly forwards. Skinks on right side advance within short range of dark riders.

Magic
He rolls average for winds of magic, I dispell a movement spell and he fails his second big spell (fiery something) and loses concentration.

Shooting
He kills a warlock and three dark riders. Stegadon both shoot but unsuccesfull.

Movement
I charge his skinks with my warlocks, but he kills two warlocks in the stand and shoot, who flee, damn ! Scared by the failed charge I don't charge his other skink unit with the three dark riders. BSB is moved in front of the first RBT for a fireball and to protect RBT's. Frustrated by the slow advance in the centre I move forward with the hydra and shrine of slaughter (supreme sorceress joins them out of fear for second stegadon / terradon hero). Cold Ones move towards centre, dark riders near scouts dance around to charge them next turn.

Magic
I roll high for magic. I managed to cast a fireball on the terradon hero, but no wounds in return. Another iceshard blizzard on the far rippers is very succesfull and kills the other two. Then comet, which is dispelled and lastly Harmonic Convergence which I succeed only one point higher than his dispell roll. All shooting except the far darkshards can re-roll 1 to hit and wound !

Shooting
I concentrate all RBT fire on his terradon hero, confident to take it out with only 2's to miss. He advices me to uses multiple shots, but as he had still AS 3+ left I choose for single bolts, ignoring his armour and possible killing him with 1 shot. First RBT rolls a 2.. damn. But, still two left. Second RBT rolls.. 2 again.. now I become a little frustrated but we both laugh. Last RBT rolls a 1 (pfew!) and with re-roll a 3 ! To wound I roll 4, so he lives. Hmm. Darkshards finish off firs skink unit, killing the other half of the second. Shades take out two skinks and dark riders another chameleon.

Hydra regains his wounds.

Movement
He charges my fleeing warlocks, who flee a little bit more (we made a mistake in flight direction, as they should flee towards table edge) but remains on the table. His terradon hero charges my first RBT. Chameleon scouts escape from dark riders charge again. His left stegadon advances a little bit, while his other one takes position to charge the darkshards next turn. His infantry blocks now marches forward.

Magic
He rolls low again. Succeed to raise the BS of one stegadon (both equipped with blow pipes) but further than that not very succesfull (again).

Shooting
His Stegadon kills 5 darkshards, but they manage to succeed their panic test after BSB re-roll. Chameleon put another wound on the Hydra.

Combat
He easily kills a RBT and overrun in a second. We forgot to take panic tests for the surrounding darkshards and last RBT.

Movement
Shades charge his Skinks. BSB moves behind last RBT to take out his Terradon hero after he finishes that one. Frustrated by left flank stegadon (which I wanted to kill with medusa shooting attack against his low I) I march forward with the Shrine of Slaughter towards his second stegadon. Hydra moves to saurus block for a flame template next turn (but also shows his flank to stegadon). I try to redirect his Stegadon and Saurus with dark riders by blocking them. Cold Ones move up for flank charge unti Stegadon. Warlocks rally.

Magic
I roll low for magic, most spells dispelled, but succeed to cast comet in front of Temple Guard unit.

Shooting
I concentrate fire on the Stegadon on the right flank, but only two wounds after RXB 50 bolts and 6 RBT bolts because of his armour save. Dark riders in front of stegadon kill two chameleons.

Combat
His terradon hero finish off the other RBT and overruns in the last one. The shades make short work of his skinks.

Movement
His right stegadon charges my darkshards, I flee, and after redirecting, I flee also with the second. Saurus charge the dark riders. I forgot what happened with the left stegadon (as it doesn't seem logical he didn't charged). Temple Guard stay where there are waiting for the comet to come (we forgot about it until my turn). His chameleons come for my last standing unit of darkshards and his rippers on the far right advance.

Magic
He rolls low again, nothing happened really

Shooting
He don't kill anything. Comet falls down and kill ... 2 temple guard because of lowest possible roll.

Combat
He kills all but one dark riders, who bravely holds his ground on snake eyes. Terradon hero finish off last RBT and does not overrun into BSB.

Movement
BSB charges his terradon hero. Thinking I could take out his stegadon with the Medusa attack I decide not to charge it with the cold one knights and charge the skinks instead (losing 1 by difficult terrain). Hydra should have charged the saurus, it is unclear why he remained still (maybe forgot him?). Both darkshards rally. Warlocks move up to doombolt Stegadon, while shades turn to the chameleons.

Magic
I roll low on magic, nothing happens, doombolt is dispelled.

Shooting
Medusa shooting on Stegadon fails completely, doing 4 hits, but because of his I of 4 (skink handler instead of his own I) I only do two wounds and he lives on. Other shooting is uneventfull.

Combat
BSB finish off enemy terradon hero. Last dark rider is killed. Cold One Knights look at skinks and they die.

Time is up, so this was the last turn.

Movement
He charges his Stegadon into my Hydra's flank (showing that my dark rider block was poorly placed). His saurus warrios charge in the flank of the Shrine of Slaughter. The other stegadon charges the darkshards.

No magic

No shooting

Combat
He kills off the Hydra and overrun in the darkshards. We call it here because of time and hopeless situation (for me).

After game thoughts.
I was clearly outmanouevred by the enemy, especially his scouts lived for the whole game while letting dance important units around it. Important was also that he did not pushed his forces through the centre while keeping the stegadons on both flanks. He succeeded to take out my shooting before his infantry blocks came into range, only placing his skinks and stegadons within range. We agreed before hand that we would play as he would on a tournament, as I am training for the tournament.

I feel I could have protected the RBT better with the cold ones. Heavens magic (especially harmonic convergence) force me to keep the shooting central, while in this case it would have been better to use it differently. I also used my warlocks wrong, as they should be able to cast a soulblight for my shooting when important. BSB and Cold Ones combined should be able to take out his stegadons, and scouts should be taken out at soon as possible. All in all, a lot of mistakes.

I hope to get some critical feedback how I should have played to improve myself. Next wednesday I will face vampire counts !

Some changes after this battle

- I will try Shadow magic
- Supreme is upgraded again to a LVL 4
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Battle report is up to get some feedback after the defeat against Lizardmen !
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Tomorrow I face Vampire Count for the second time, same opponent as one year ago.
Here is that rapport, altough it was a different army than I use now. I'll update you guys tomorrow, this time the Report will up faster before I start to forget things again.

As I had to battle against a 2000 point Vampire Count list I had to tailor my 2400 list. The cowboy masters main purpose was to hunt shooting units and charge or redirect small knight units, shades to hunt warmachines. So I merged witch elves to unit of 15 to field the Sisters. Vampire Counts has least shooting of all armies I remembered and big units of undead so I was able to outshoot him. He had 3 mages, vampire lord lvl 3, necromancers lvl 2 and lvl 1, 3 big blocks of infantry, an impressive unit of 6 crypt horrors (main threat) and a Mortis Engine which I did not know was able to. Wardogs, fell bats and spirit hosts which could threaten my shooting.

Initial battle plan was to hold the far hill while misleading enemy that I would place reapers in the middle behind infantry line, and then move infrantry before the hill. Executioners to kill his trolls and ghouls and witch elves to kill remaining infantry, sisters to flank and neglect rank bonuses. I considered my magic weaker than his, so I had to play that well.

Deployment

I start with deploying my dark riders, he responds to the first unit with deploying his wardogs. Warlocks in the centre to doombolt his horrors and after that the ghouls. Sisters deployed to misled my battle plan, joined by witch elves and executioners. I made my first mistake my placing witch elves in the centre and executioners in the right but wanted them to deploy late. Crossbows to take the hill in the middle and as a response to the deployment of ethereal spirit host against my reapers on the hill I placed my peg master on the hill (with in mind that he could hit those ethereals). He places his vampire lord in ghouls, other necromancers in skeleton and zombie horde.

Vanguard

He wins the roll to vanguard and take out possibility for dark riders to take the hill, other dark riders tries to get behind his back. Warlocks advance towards his infantry line. He wins the roll for first turn.

Vampire Counts, turn 1

Movement
He takes the bait of the warlocks with his horrors and advances much further than the rest of the army. Rest of the army marches also, but mortis engine stays behind a little. He advances with his spirits towards reapers but outside peg master charge range. Fell bats hide behind building while wolfs stay where they are.

Magic
He rolled 10 for winds of magic and used 5 dice for an increased damage spell against the warlocks. As I saw no possibility in dispelling it and did not wanted to lose my warlocks so fast I used the dispell scroll. He fails another spell and I dispell the last one. Magic 1 survived !

Shooting
No shooting

Combat
No combat

Dark Elves, turn 1

Movement
I take the hill with dark riders, other dark riders behind his battle line (although I did not know their purpose there yet). Warlocks retreat, but with one unit I screen the witch elves to protect them against possible magic missile next turn, and I thought it was outside charge range of the Horrors. Crossbows advance towards hill. I did not stick to my avoidance battle plan with the infantry and advanced some. I had to get the executioners to the middle and witch elves to the flank as response to Horrors but wanted to do it next turn. Peg masters stays to protect reapers and charge spirits if they come closer.

Magic
I roll a 12 for winds of magic, and cast the improved doombolt with 6 dice on his Horros, he also uses his dispell scroll. I try another improved doombolt but it fails with - 2.

Shooting

Dark Riders kill 2 wardogs, other dark riders kill 1 skeleton. Reapers on the hill shoot single bolts at Horrors but both miss. Reaper in the middle shoots a single bolt to mortis engine but also misses. Crossbows have no target yet.

Combat
No combat.

VC, turn 2

Movement
Horrors charge my warlocks and can even make it to the sisters of slaughter. He suggest I flee as they are fast cavarly (and it was my first game) as he underestimated their combat ability. But then I had to take some panic tests and did not wanted anything to flee to ruin my battle plan so I decided to take the test, and hold. I knew they were going to die, but then witch elves, executioners with Hellebron and sisters could butcher them next turn. He foresaw that and placed his wardogs in front on my executioners to redirect them, hmm bad thing for me... Fell bats take their position to threaten my reapers and spirts advance also. While the rest of the hordes are advancing he turns his Mortis Engine around to shoot on the Dark Riders if they come closer (mission dark riders succeeded).

Magic
He rolls 9 for winds of magic, and uses 3 dice to give his horrors re-roll to hit (I think he expected me to use most dice for dispelling that one) but I let it go through as I consider his magic missiles more dangerous for soft elves. He uses another 3 dice for magic missile which I dispell with all my dice and then he casts his vampire magical vortex on my executioner unit. I fear for the worst, but he only kills 2 executioners. Magic 2 survived again !

Shooting
No shooting as dark riders are still out of range of that Mortis thing (20")

Combat
I hit first, fails my fear test. But did not know that you can re-roll all missed hits when ASF and higher I ? I inflict 3 wounds (thank you poison!) and kill one Horror, he smashes them to pulp and overrun into the witch elves. Sisters hold their ground (the rest is frenzy)

DE, turn 2

Movement
What to do, what to do. Wardogs prevent main combat (executioners) unit to get into the main threat. Then I decide to play according to the theme (see fluff story) that Hellebron is just a crazy biatch wanting to kill and besides that bad ass in combat so I charge her outside the executioners into the remaining 5 Horrors. Pegasus master charged the fell bats. Sisters advance for incoming ghouls, dark riders on the flank retreat back, crossbows advance to shoot the dogs at short range, while other dark riders hold the hill in the middle.

Magic
Don't remember the winds of magic, not that high. I dispell the vortex, try a doombolt which he dispells and cast a miasma with 1 dice on the trolls.

Shooting
Dark riders at the flank kill another skeleton. Dark riders on hill fail to hit anything, same for crossbows (damn those wardogs). In the image they are already dead, so that is a mistake. Reaper in the middle puts a wound on the Mortis Engine, while other two shoot on the ghouls but both misses their single bolts.

Combat
Pegasus master kills the bat the ease. Hellebron gets crazy and kills 3 trolls, witch elves inspired by their hag queen kill the other two. He does a thunderstomp or something and kills a witch elf and 1 wound on Hellebron in return. Main threat to the army destroyed ! But, Hellebron all alone in the open field. Out of charges yes, but out of magic, not at all.

VC, turn 3

Movement
He charges my pegasus master in the flank with the spirits. Advances with the rest of the army, Mortis Engine tries to follow but still while back to do real damage.

Magic
He rolled 10 for winds of magic and he wanted Hellebron death. Dispelled the first magic missile but the second death snipe he casted was so high that it was impossible to stop it. Without any saves whatsoever she died direct. All units hold their panic test.

Shooting
No shooting

Combat
I fail my fear test with Peg master and don't inflict any wounds. He inflict two but saves them both. Then he discovers I have no magic weapon at all, so is glad I'm stuck for the rest of the game. I don't really mind as the reapers are safe.

DE, turn 3

Movement
I charge my witches in his ghouls, sisters in the flank. Executioners can still not do anything because of the wardogs.

Magic
I roll 6 for winds of magic and succeed in casting a doombolt on his Mortis Engine and inflict 2 wounds! I fail miasma on the ghouls

Shooting
All reapers concentrate fire on the Mortis Engine and kill it ! It explodes and does all his units strength 3 hits, same for my witch elves, sisters, warlocks and dark riders. It kills 4 zombies, 3 skeletons and 3 ghouls, 5 witch elves, 1 sister, 3 warlocks and 3 dark riders, ai ! But fast cavarly succeed their panic test. Crossbows delete last wardogs (yes !) and dark riders kill another 2 skeletons and 1 zombie. Succesful shooting phase !

Combat
I kill 6 ghouls, and inflict 4 wounds on his lord, but he saves them all. In return he kills 8 witch elves (4 by his lord) so it is a draw. Again poison and re-rolls did the job! Sisters also good in combat and wards save saves all returning attacks. Spirit hosts do another 2 wounds on the peg master but he saves them both.

VC, turn 4

Movement
He advances skeletons and zombies but can't charge. Rest of the army is dead or in combat.

Magic
He rolls very low for winds of magic and fails first spell, second is dispelled by me. He said that I was very lucky to kill his Mortis as he could regain all his wounds or something. Magic 4 survived again !

Shooting
No shooting as Mortis died before he could shoot (this turn he would do 2 D6 strength 4 hits)

Combat
Witches and sisters kill some ghouls, but he also kills some sisters and all the witch elves (again his lord) but draw again.

DE, turn 4

At this moment we really have to hurry as we are the last table playing and store wants to close.

Movement
I charge his skeletons with lvl 1 with dark riders and warlocks, charge zombies witch full unit of dark riders. Charge his ghouls and lord with executioners. Crossbows prepare to charge if needed (knowing this was going to be the last turn).

Magic
We skipped magic phase

Shooting
We skipped shooting phase

Combat
The executioners and sisters combined kill all the remaining ghouls, killing blow on his vampire count but he ward saves it. His vampire count kills 2 ghouls but loses combat and so the count dies ? Dark riders kill necromancer lvl 1 and some zombies, warlocks kill the other necromancer lvl 2 and dark riders both a skeleton. He returning attacks from skeletons and zombies does nothing.

At this point we end the game. His last remaining units are a crumbling skeleton and zombie unit and spirit hosts who is stuck in the peg master. I still have both dark riders, 1 unit of warlocks, executioners, sisters, crossbowmen, reapers, peg master, sorceress.

I lost Hellebron 310 (410), 165 witch elves, 125 warlocks; 700 points, he lost around 1700.
Victory for the Dark Elves !

After game thoughts.

I think if I had played better it was possible for me to win with 20 - 0 as I outmanouevred and outshot him and had better combat unit / combinations. If his Horrors came into combat with the frenzied executioners with Hellebron (which was possible because the warlocks draw them into the open) they would have died very soon, same for ghouls and count. I learned that you don't avoid with your infantry in a match like this, even when you outshoot him. You just deploy in the right order and wait for him to come. Warlocks are more than average in combat and really make you more magic resistant due to dispelling and casting. Reapers are perfect to just take out anything that is big if you have patience. Witch elves on their own kill a lot, so they are by far one of the best combat core units in the game. Sisters are perfect in holding low strength hordes in check, they do not die easily. Dark riders were reliable as always, distracting enemy major unit of advancing, killed not that much with shooting but enough be demorilazing for the enemy and decimate it a little. In the end they butchered enemy necromancer and the decimated skeleton and zombie units. Hellebron kills in combat but if something touches her, she dies. I don't regret her from charging the Horrors, but in this game she was by far not worth the 310 (410) pts.

Please share your thoughts about what I did wrong and can improve !
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Will put together a more detailed post tomorrow one the laptop rather than phone. But initial assessment would show a massive oversight on not arming the peg master with a magic weapon and allowing him to get charged by a spirit host.
If you are facing an army with a way to field ethereal units you need a counter. Also deployed very defensively with him. There was no threat to the RBTs so he became an expensive bodyguard rather than picking his battles. You had other options to protect them, or use and discard them if they get overrun in the 3rd turn, that is a threat not hitting units worth more VPs.

Your opponents magic phases puzzle me as well. Many a VC player would be raising more units rather than trying magic missiles.

However like always a win is a win. So congratulations :)

Will add more tomorrow.

Edit. Well I was going too, but Daeron has already picked up on some of the other points I was going to make.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Grats on the win!

Lord Drakon wrote:I had to get the executioners to the middle and witch elves to the flank as response to Horrors but wanted to do it next turn. Peg masters stays to protect reapers and charge spirits if they come closer.

I'm not sure why you're so adamant on getting the Executioners in the centre. They could have moved further up and made a nice threat on the flank as well.
The Peg master bodyguard is interesting in many situations, but I don't see a reason to employ it here:
  • Did he have a magic weapon? If not, then he has little business there and was better employed elsewhere.
  • You could have moved the right-most Warlock unit further to the right flank, blocking the Direwolves (which they could handle in CC with ease) and fire a Doombolt at the spirit host. That would have cleared the right wing completely while screening your battle line.

Magic
I roll a 12 for winds of magic, and cast the improved doombolt with 6 dice on his Horros, he also uses his dispell scroll. I try another improved doombolt but it fails with - 2.

Improved Doombolt has a poor success chance on casting, a little under 50% on 6 dice with power level 2. If it didn't go through with irresistable force, it was a wise move to scroll it.
With 12 dice, you could have tried:
- A soulblight, 3PD
- Two regular doombolts, 4PD each
- A 1 PD miasma
The soulblight would also have boosted the performance of the RBTs in the shooting phase, if they were in range that is.

Movement
I charge my witches in his ghouls, sisters in the flank. Executioners can still not do anything because of the wardogs.

If you charged the wolves with the Executioners ,they probably would have destroyed the wolves.
Assuming the wolves still had all 5 models and the Executioners were 5-wide as well:

Which would have offered a free reform. It would have saved the missiles in the shooting turn for other targets.
I'm not overly confident on this, but that seems like an alternative approach. Even if a single wolf survived, it probably would have crumbled and your Executioners wouldn't have moved that much at all.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Hmm.. we could only play three rounds in total so had to stop in the middle of the game. Especially making choices with deployment take so much time because of the terrain and shooting. But I am very satisfied with the current list and especially lore of shadow. His list was much nastier than last time, especially the big things came along like Terrorgheist without much ethereals.

Deployment

I will make the battle rapport maybe later on, but as it was really unfinished and I was going to bring the pain next turn it is not worth that much reflecting on it. Most mistakes was because of deployment, but at least I came to know what Cold Ones combined with a BSB on Manticore are able to do in combat !
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Much better VC list he had there. Think you deployed too defensively though.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Amboadine, please ellobarate on that, I feel most mistakes are made in the deployment phase so far ! How would you deploy with my list in this set up ?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Lord Drakon wrote:Amboadine, please ellobarate on that, I feel most mistakes are made in the deployment phase so far ! How would you deploy with my list in this set up ?

I can only base on what I see at the moment, which is prior to any vanguards.
From the deployment of the Shards and RBT's it looks as if you have set yourself up purely to defend that central corridor between the two buildings, as you do no have unimpeded line of sight elsewhere unless the map is deceiving.
With the speed of his (rightside on the map) flank, I might have looked to deploy at least one unit of shards and a single RBT across to deplete that threat and allow the SOS to clear up after, whilst putting the shades in the woods on the opposite side.
Your left side also seems quite crowded with 3 cav units trying to get position around a wood, I might have run the Warlocks and DRs up the right and put the Hydra on the flank rather than central.
Obviously without knowing the deployment order it is hard to know what you were responding to on each drop.

But you have given me a nice idea for a 'not quite contest / group discussion' on tactical deployment for March.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thanks for the feedback ! Hm I agree, I now focus all my shooting to a certain flank or centre, leaving the others open! It feels much more comfortable to 'castle', when against Skaven in the flank instead of centre the gunline survived, in the centre against Lizzies and VC it got overrun.

Here is the full rapport !

Deployment

I win the roll to deploy, and choose the side with the big hill. I start deploying my dark riders to both flanks, then deploy the crossbowmen in the centre. I respond to the Crypt Horrors with the Cold One Knights and wait with the sisters and warlocks to react to his Coven Throne and Terrorgheist (placed the sisters the oher side) with Shrine as last. BSB Manticore is placed near Cold One Knights while Shrine and Supreme are placed in middle darkshards. His both flanks are mobile combat kick-ass, middle his infantry hordes with his wizards. After deployment I want to bait him to the left flank and then move cold one knights and manticore towards the other flank.

He has +1, but after 4! re-rolls with two 6'es from me I get the first turn.

I rolls for spells
- Withering
- Pendulum
- Pit of Shades
- Mindrazor

After long thinking, I swap Pit of Shades for miasma, as i thought the Pendulum would be very effective against his many monsters, while the pit can scatter or something.

Dark Elves 1

Movement
I really miss the musician with the Cold Ones for a swift reform in my redirecting ideas (used to online strategy gaming like RTW where manouvring is much easier) so can only go forward. So send the warlocks for a threat to bait the horrors so the Cold Ones and Manticore can do a combined charge after that. The fight they were going to take was too much I discovered, but I wanted to see some combat this battle ! The Dark Riders move behind the Dire Wolfs while the other moves to the centre for redirecting + shooting. Sisters march to the centre to combine with Shrine in turn 2, darkshards 1, 2 and 3 moved to create a firing range.

Magic
I roll 8 for winds of magic, he dispells soulblight on the Horrors, and I cast doombolt doing one wound. Miasma with movement on his Coven Throne (but only - 1)

Shooting
Darkshards all shoot but withour any damage, dark riders and shades combined kill three dire wolfs. All reapers hit, two on Coven Throne, first hit the rider but has charmed shield, second hits Throne and does 1 wound, third shoot Vargheists with multiple shoot and do 1 wound.

Vampire Counts 1

Movement
He takes the bait and charges warlocks (who flee) his Varghulf charges the Shades who also flees. The rest of the army moves up, the vargheist facing the dark riders (now I am looking back, it might be better to use the dark riders to bait them as they had frenzy so I could concentrate on the Varghulf and much easier to kill dire wolfs).

Magic
He rolls 10 for winds of magic. He tries soulblight on the Cold One Knights, which I dispell, another hex one the Cold Ones which I also dispell. He succeeds a magic missile on the dark riders, wounding two (but I save them with two 6'es) and one magical vortex ! Luckily vortex only moves up some inches.

Dark Elves 2

Movement
Dark Riders charge Dire Wolfs. Cold One Knights charge his Crytpt Horrors combined with the BSB Manticore. Warlocks rally, Shades keep running. Sisters, Shrine and Sorceress join into Shrine of Slaughter. Here I found out I was deploying my sisters wrong all previous battles as they have to be deployed 2x5 instead of 5x2. Next time I will just combine them at the start to prevent issues.

Magic
I roll 12 for winds of magic ! After deployment my eye fell on the smallish bunker of skeletons of his general and LVL 4. I had read that without their general Vampire Counts start to crumble and more nastiness for him (besides losing his LVL 4 ofcourse which is also a huge blow on turn 2).

What I liked to much about shadow, compared to the other lores is tried, is the synergy with the warlocks. Having so much shooting and access to two tougness lowering spells is very powerfull for every magic phase. If the combat with Cold Ones was within range of the Supreme I could also have access to mindrazor, all spells the enemy really want to dispell.

First, I use 3 dice for soulblight, which he dispells. Second I use 4 dice for doombolt on his Terrorgheist, which he scrolls, and lastly I cast longer range withering with 5 dice on his skeleton unit, which he tries to dispell but lacks the dispell dice. I lower the tougness of his unit - 3 ! Dearon thanks for highlighting the possibilities with magic. 1 big difference before and now, is that altough I rolled high for magic both times, I now not only draws his scoll, but actually cast something important. He had not expected this last spell, all my spells were equally dangerous and it felt I was in control of this phase. Just after the phase I found out I forgot about the vortex. But now the gamble came: shooting !

Shooting
Objective: 20 skeletons of tougness 1 with the LVL 4 Necromancer of tougness 2. I had access to 70 RXB bolts, 18 RBT bolts and unfortunate my Medusa came 3" short. I fluff the RXB bolts hitting on 5's and wounding on 2's, while he throws a lot of 6'es, then reapers kill a lot more to the point I have 1 reaper left and he has 4 skeletons and the Necromancer. I hit with 5. He divides 2 to his general and 3 to the skeletons. I inflict four wounds, general with last wound and 2 skeletons left !! So close !! If I had only moved the Shrine earlier to had that 3", or the Hydra, or aargh haha.

Combat
BSB and Cold One Knights inflict 7 wounds, I save all returning attacks except 1 on the Manticore. I win combat so another two crumbles, only two left ! Dark Riders make short work of the Dire Wolfs and overrun just out of range of the Varghulf.

Vampire Counts 2

Movement
He charges Cold One Knights with his Coven Throne. His LVL 4 escapes to the Ghouls (grr). Varghulf and Vargheist move up for turn 3 charge. Terrorgheist moves up for a scream and placed his fell bats behind combat.

Magic
He rolls 10 for winds of magic and channels 1. He casts soulblight on the cold ones, which I dispell. He uses 5 dice for healing up his units which goes with irreristable force (miscast yes!). He heals 8 skeletons, 2 crypt horrors, 1 wound on Coven and 1 wound on LVL 4, hmm. But then rolls double 1 on miscast so large template on the ghouls and 50/50 to remove his general :D. 12 ghouls are killed, and he rolls..... a 4 ! The General lives another turn. He loses enough power dice so end of his magic phase. His vortex scatter towards his skeletons.

Shooting
His scream inflict two wounds on the manticore.

Combat
Impact Hits kill 4 cold one knights outright. My champion challenges (we made some order mistakes here as he forgot his impact hits and I had challenged already). The champion fail to do any wounds, but saves a lot of incoming attacks, to be killed by his last two vampire attacks. BSB Manticore inflict two wounds on the horrors, who fail to do any wounds on the Manticore. Manticore breaks and escapes, ending up in the forest and saving 3 dangerous terrain tests.

Dark Elves 3

Movement
Dark Riders charge his varghulf for possible mindrazor. Two darkshards move up to his Terrorgheist, Hydra moves up for flame template on the ghouls but is out of range. BSB rallies.

Magic
I roll 9 for winds of magic, channel 1. Now I make some tactical mistakes, I forget the dark riders and focus on the Terrorgheist, casting soulblight which is dispelled, casting doombolt which is dispelled, and only three dice left for mindrazor which is not enough.

Shooting
Combined fire inflict three wounds on the Terrorgheist. Other Reapers finish off 1 vargheist, inflicting three wounds in total.

Combat
Dark Riders fail to inflict a wound, and 4 get killed. They flee and he overruns into the darkshards.

Vampire Counts 3

Movement
He charges the Hydra with his Ghouls and LVL 4. Vargheists charge the first Reaper. His LVL 1 escapes danger from Dark Riders and moves to skeletons. Coven Throne moves towards the centre (16" from Shrine of Slaughter). Terrorgheist moves up to shoot Manticore, protected by fell bats in the rear.

Magic
He rolls 8 for magic, I dispell the first soulbight on the Hydra, he heals some wounds, I dispell another soulblight on the Hydra and he gets re-roll to hits on the vargheists. His vortex moves to his skeleton unit, killing 4.

Shooting
His Terrogheist screams the Manticore to death. BSB is still standing unharmed.

Combat
His Vargheists kill the Reaper and overrun in the next one. His Varghulf kill four darkshards but I hold on LD 10 (because of general combined with Shrine). Now the big combat. He only inflict 1 wound, which I save. I use flame attack, kill around 10, normal attacks kill another 4 and thunderstomp kill another 4. 18 wounds in total, crumbling the unit to a size of 7 ghouls with wounded LVL 4. He said that unit was around 700 points.

Unfortunatly we had played for 3 hours at this point and had to stop the game. In my turn I was going to save the BSB by moving past the Horrors (dancing) while the warlocks would had charged the Terrorgheist. Dark Riders would charge the zombies, Hydra finish off his ghouls and LVL 4. Shrine of Slaughter to finish off his skeletons and LVL 1 to rip him from magic.

All in all, very bloody game ! Especially winds of magic were very strong for both of us, so that made the battle interesting. His LVL 4 was teasing death (as a true vampire should do) a lot of times in my turn 2, his turn 2 and his turn 3. I had succeeded killing his general in turn 2, or he himself in turn 2 I guess it would had effected the game a lot.

Again, like in the battle against Skaven, I really like the possibility to concentrate fire in turn 2 and 3 combined with either soulbight or the withering. It feels I can decimate any horde or big unit. Also mindrazor is really usefull in this MSU list as any darkshard unit can become killers. The combined charge of the Manticore and Cold Ones felt really strong, as they did well in combat, but I picked the wrong side as his counter-charge killed me (so enemy should be broken or killed in 1 turn). My Dark Riders felt very effective this turn, as I start to learn how to use theam, still made mistakes but that is called learning :)

The list felt very powerfull, in movement, magic, shooting and combat. I did not missed the dispell dice, and as I am very short of points I will leave it out. Shrine of Slaughter has still not seen combat, but being in the centre with a 12" LD 10 bubble was effective. I might have thrown away my Shades too early, but I was also unlucky with rallying them.

The biggest problem is the deployment phase. I really don't know that well how to deploy. I like the darkshards being centered to create a firing lane, so I keep it that way. Reapers I am not so sure if this the best way to deploy them, maybe more divided ? Hydra in the middle is a good choice, as the infantry always comes that side. BSB and Cold Ones combined at a flank also. But where to deploy the Shrine of Slaughter ? At the other flank of the BSB + Cold Ones ?
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.