Dark Magic: Innate Spell

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Blackhelm
Slave on the Altar

Post by Blackhelm »

Current HE drain magic is something like this I believe:

Edited for copyright purposes. But most of us know what Drain Magic does already. ;) - Vorchild

Here are my ideas for a Druchii equivalent, write some 'fluff' for them if anyone likes any of them later ;) Oh yes, maybe need to make some of the spell names more evil sounding!

Energy Hex
Cast on battlefield (affect druchii too?)
5+
any rolls of 6 for dispelling are ignored
7+
any rolls of 5 or 6 for dispelling are ignored
9+
any rolls of 4, 5 or 6 for dispelling are ignored

Supreme Power
Affects casting wizard, roll a dice, 1 – 2 = suffer miscast, 3 – 4 = cast normally, 5-6 = cast with IF.
5+
May cast a spell up to 7+ difficulty at ultimate force
7+
May cast a spell up to 9+ difficulty at ultimate force
9+
May cast any spell at ultimate force

Harness Energy
5+
Roll a chosen number of dice, if you roll no doubles you get the number of dice you rolled extra power dice except for doubles you rolled, which cause a single miscast. (e.g. roll 4 dice, scoring 2,4,6,6 = suffer a miscast but gain two power dice).

Subvert Winds
5+
Affects an enemy wizard in their casting phase. Any rolls of double 6 allows the druchii sorceress to case a spell of equivalent power immediately for free as a rebound.
7+
Affects an enemy wizard in their casting phase. Any rolls of double 5 or 6 allows the druchii sorceress to case a spell of equivalent power immediately for free as a rebound.
9+
Affects an enemy wizard in their casting phase. Any rolls of double 4, 5 or 6 allows the druchii sorceress to case a spell of equivalent power immediately for free as a rebound.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Well, you guys all know my opinion on an extra power dice spell, and that's that its simply too powerful in many cases. For example, think of the abuse the innate spell would suffer if you had 4 mages in a 2K army. Each one gets their own power dice and all told, that magic heavy army would be able to knock out every opponent dispel die with regular power dice and leave some to spare. Then, they get the extras which are failrly easy since you'd cast surely with 2 dice and get an average of 3.5 back. In fact, there is only a 1/6 chance of anything being bad. Even if you roll a 2, you merely end up back where you started. So, after 4 castings, you will generate an extra (and this is extra, and not added to the two you needed to start out with from the original pool of 12 or 13) 6 dice. Now, you've gone an made this a 18 power dice magic phase without even resorting to power stones. At this rate, you'd be almost running out of spells to cast.

Jargobae's idea of giving us unseen lurker is good, but there arise the complications of combining lores. That and it just seems kind of cheap that we take a spell from another lore and stick it where we want it.

So, I make some proposals. First, I think the innate spell should do no "damage" to the enemy. So no magic missiles and no power dice generation since the innate spell can be easily exploited with a large number of mages. Even the HE drain magic spell is cast on a specific caster and will generally not effect the entire magic phase, but rather transfer its power to a lesser caster. Second, it must stay in theme.

Thus, we either create a small spell to that fits in with the lore, or move an existing spell (you all know my vote is for WoP) and create a more powerful not so innate spell. Also, I don't think that new spell should really be a magic missile since we already have two, and you'd think of fire lore beig more associated with missiles than dark lore.

That being said, I like the idea of dark ritual in that it only effects the caster (well, that was one of the suggestions for it ;) ). Now, when I posted up an idea for an 8+ style spell to replace WoP, it was criticized in that it was a close combat style spell much like the hand of dust and people didn't want the sorc in combat. This I understand all too well, yet I still think its in theme with dark magic and it provided for a nasty surprise. However, I think we can work on something else.

Now, we also want a spell that enhances our strengths, and I think it has been said many times before that one of our greatest strengths is in movement. Unseen Lurker was even presented as an option. However, is a movement spell really in theme with dark magic? Sadly, I think not and I think our magic movement needs to come from bound items (where we could more easily get unseen lurker), but that's a topic for another thread. ;) Dark magic, after all, is not shadows where there is unseen sneaking. Nor is it death where its all about killing. Its dark magic and its theme should be dark and menacing with spells like Black horror, dominion, and soulstealer.

So, what then to do with a spell that only acts on the caster? Well, as I have suggested before, there is the nasty combat option, with a "dark hand of doom" style spell. My suggestion from another thread was:

"Dark Hand of Destruction": 6+ The spell remains in play and can be cast on the spellcaster even while in combat. The spellcaster may make one attack on every model in base to base instead of using his regular attacks. Each hit is resolved at S5 and does D3 wounds.

Its actually a spell from 5th ed dark lore (modified of course) but it was wondered if it still had a place in this edition. Some thought not. Anyways, I'm putting it here for reference more than anything. ;)

Another option would be to take the bound spell from the magic items list and make it a requires 6+ to hit kind of deal or maybe each model in btb must attack someone else if possible (like with the war hydra apprentices). Again, these are spells that help in CC where we do not want our sorceress to be, and more than that, they are defensive in nature more than offensive, and I think that defeats the purpose of the dark lore.

So, to keep in theme, it would seem that to make a 0" range spell, we must make it offensive in nature, and that's not any good either since we don't want the sorcs in combat. Alright, then we must look to a ranged spell. Problem there is it has to keep in theme. I maintain that there is no better way to do that than to use a spell that currently exists. I also maintain that it should not do any real "damage." Thus, we are left with only two spells to choose from if that is the case: Word of Pain and Dominion. Dominion to me also seems a bit too steep in casting cost for it to be all that effective for L1 casters (for which I think the spell in question must still be useful for, other wise, what's the point of an innate spell) and is certainly subject to abuse with 4 casters. Sure, it enhances our movement abilities though which is certain part of the main theme we are looking for. ;) However, I think if we are to take this road, the only real spell we could transfer is WoP.

So, we are left then with WoP or a ranged innate spell that does no "damage". Well, I have very few suggestions for one of those that remains in theme, but here are the ones I can think of now:

Casting values are undetermined as of yet, but I figure about 4+ is good since they do little.

Unamed spell. Caster on any enemy within 18", no LOS required. Unit counts as skirmishing until the beginning of the caster's next turn. Fluff: dark thoughts ente the minds of those affected and they start to distrust their comrades and thus move apart from one anothe slightly. :roll: However, it fits for usefulness since it would effectively negate the ranks of anyone wanting to charge, and so, helps to protect flanks. It doesn't effect models in combat, so there should be no real taking advantage of it. Also, it makes theunit harder to shoot at and gives them greater movement abilities to compensate. Odd, I know, but still an idea. :?

Unamed Spell. Cast on any unit, friend or foe, in close combat and within 18" of the caster and in LOS. The unit begins to hate the enemy it is fighting and acquires all bonuses for hatred. Does not effect steeds (their minds are not powerful enough). Keep in mind that if it is not the first turn of the comabt, re-rolls to hit to not apply. So, same general type of fluff as before in that its a mind affecting style of spell. Cast on an enemy, it forces them to pursue, possibly into a trap. Cast on some friendlies, they may get to re-roll all misses in that first round of combat, yet still must pursue and might themselves be sucked into a trap.

Anyways, those are my thoughts for now and I will leave you with this mess of a message that surely makes you wonder what I'm trying to say. ;)

So really, I think WoP is the way to go for an innate spell and then put the "Dark Hand of Destruction" spell in its place. But that's me. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Orteo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Orteo »

I think either the innate spell, or the spell that replaces WoP if we want to follow that path, should be psycological in nature, as this is one aspect of Dark Magic that isn't seen much yet (other than Black Horror) So I think a spell that either forces panic tests or reduces leadership would be in order. Maybe something along the lines of enemy units within 12" and in LOS must take a panic test? Or one unit within 18" must take a panic test a -1?
We've all begun to die, and don't know what to do.
Since it hurts to pray to God, when God is dying too.
Takes strength to laugh, when you start to drown.
And we dance while the sky crashes down.

-Jason Webley
Hari
Noble

Post by Hari »

If we should have an innate spell it must be a spell that enphatize the aspect of Dark Magik, that is destruction :twisted:
Dark ritual is good, but with no armour save granted S3 is best to not overpower our magic, perhaps the dice granted with the spell can be used only by the sorcerer that cast it, it seems a good idea :twisted:
i'm what i'm, that's what i'm!
www.utenti.lycos.it/ritornodelre
Consuming_darkness
Dark Rider

Post by Consuming_darkness »

@Iyagd: this PoB is really great, and with S3 1D3 no armour saves allowed its a good thing-myb u could even shorten the range on 12" as it is considered too powerful by some people...and just make the spell one-leveled(no second power level at 7+) ithink now it really does look good.
and if HE does no damage at ennemy with their innate spell, doesnt mean we dont :evil: our magic is made for almost all spells to do some damage, due to our aggressive nature-and due to the story in the rule book, ithink it is really THE perfect innate spell Iyagd proposed
All living beings shall be put to slavery and governed by the fearful Druchii
Hari
Noble

Post by Hari »

I agree consuming but not as for range 12". 18" is already short :evil:
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Right, so after suggested modifications here it goes:

Power Of Blood - difficulty 4+
magic missile with 18" range, d3 S3 hits with no armour save allowed except Ward Saves. Foe each wound inflicted, Sorcereress gains additional power dice for duration of that turn only and only she may use it. May target friendly units. May even cast the Power Of Blood on unit she is with, no line of sight needed in that case.

As for now i dont think it is overpowered. There are 2/3 chances to be cast with one dice. It could be 1,2 or 3 hits. 2 is average. Against T 3 it is 1 wound in average. So in fact 1 power dice in return. 1 killed. Not so powerful.

And there are some ideas for psychological spell:

Mind Storm - difficulty 5+ , remains in play 24" range no LOS needed, and:
-enemy unit suffers -1 to Ld.
or
-enemy unit losses its rank bonus,
or
-diff 8+ enemy rolls 3d6 for ld based tests and discards the lowest result.
Last edited by Iyagd on Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Hari
Noble

Post by Hari »

Now PoB is good, i don't think we need other psychological spell; dark magic is destructive magik.
Ash010110
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ash010110 »

Ok, I'll bite. We want cruel and subtle, right? It seems that the subtle bit would be to force some kind of Ld test.

Demonic Gaze: Innate spell (4+)
Nominate one enemy unit within 8" and LOS that also has LOS on caster (ie, both can see each other). Target unit must take an immediate terror test, failure of which will result in target unit fleeing away from the caster. A unit need only test on the first successful Gaze; all subsequent Gazes will be ineffectual, as all subsequent Gaze tests will automatically be passed.

By requiring both victim and caster to see each other, a failed Gaze would be pretty bad for the sorceress. I wanted to keep it low casting cost so it could be done on a single die. I think making it relatively short range is fluffy, and since you cannot gaze at a unit more than once, it isn't too overpowering.

May peace be with you,
Ash
Orteo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Orteo »

@ Ash While a very neat idea, I think Dark Magic has enough short ranged spells as is. I'd like the innate spell to be something that can be used without putting the sorceress in extreme danger. Demonic gaze would really only be useful if you had a high amount of power dice, as if they dispel the gaze, the sorceress is essentially dead.
We've all begun to die, and don't know what to do.
Since it hurts to pray to God, when God is dying too.
Takes strength to laugh, when you start to drown.
And we dance while the sky crashes down.

-Jason Webley
Asterion
Beastmaster

Post by Asterion »

ultimate force

you mean irrisistable force?

I like this thingy for dispelling...as countermeasure to those HE :twisted:
If a man hasn't found something to die for, he isn't fit to live.
Ash010110
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ash010110 »

Ok, fair enough. However, I must admit that I disagree with Vorchild regarding WoP as innate spell. The ONLY reason is that I really, really think it should be castable on one die (like the Wood Elf Treesing ability), and WoP is fairly priced at 8+.

From the fluffy quote earlier on this thread, we see that dark elf practitioners can channel the winds of magic better than other races. If we feel that WoP is the most fluffy expression of that aptitude, then it may be nice to have a 'baby WoP' spell to reflect that hatred as the source of most of this power. The nice thing about this is that it provides an analagous set to Light magic which has Dazzling Brighness and Blinding Light. If we see WoP as the Dark equivalent of BL (WS/BS1 but since movement is not halved, only 8+), then it stands to reason that the innate spell may well be something that cuts WS in half rounding down (so WS4 troops are now goblins, and other elite troops are WS3) for that combat phase only. In this way, it is not a remains in play, and by making the range 10-12", it is shorter ranged than DB and therefore fair to give a casting cost of 5+. The reason for this is that it will be shorter range compared to DB and only cut WS in half instead of reduce to WS1. Just as BL is 9+, WoP is 8+. . . so if DB is 6+, then the new spell dubbed "Agonizing Spite" should be 5+.

"IS the Dark Side stronger?"

"NO! NO. No. Quicker, easier, more seductive. . ."

So we see that light spells are "better" in effect and range, but dark spells are cheaper and thus, more aggressive.

AGONIZING SPITE
0-level Dark Magic Spell
Casts on a 5+
May be cast into combat. Nominate one unit within LOS and 12" of caster. Target unit has its WS reduced to half its current value (rounding down) until the end of this turn's combat phase.

The LOS requirement is debatable, but perhaps necessary to keep it fair. Since DB doesn't require LOS, it may prove better to reduce the LOS requirements to maximize utility while also reducing range to 9" to keep it from getting out of hand. Also, note the wording of the duration; basically we can now capitalize on a miscast of low-cost enemy spells that end up giving us a free spell.

May peace be with you,
Ash
The unseen
Cold One Knight

Post by The unseen »

A couple of ideas... a few have been elaborated on from other people's thoughts, some others are original...
==================
Treachery {posted by: Lord Veshnakar}
Difficulty: 5+
The Sorceress utters Khaine's name as the 'Backstabber', causing enemies to turn on each other. This spell is cast on an enemy unit within 12" of the Sorceress (does not have to be in LoS), This unit must immediately test for "Animosity" as described in the Orcs &Goblins army book. The target unit now suffers from "Animosity" for the remainder of the game, until the Sorceress casts "Treachery" again, at which time they will no longer be affected or have to test. If the unit suffers from "Animosity" it will automatically fiht amongst themselves, and no other rolls for squabling are done.
>{"I liked this idea, and thought it fit with the Druchii's treacherous nature quite well... kudos to Lord Veshnakar for thinking it up"}<
------------------------------------------------------------
Dispel Magic {Original Idea}
Difficulty: 5+
The Sorceress attempts to counter enemy wizards with ancient anti-magic curses. Whenever a spell is cast by an enemy wizard within 12" of the Sorceress (within LoS), you may attempt to cast 'Dispel Magic' (using dispel dice). If successful, You and your opponent roll a d6, adding the score to the wizard's level (your score to the "Dispel" sorceress, and your opponent adds his score to the casting wizard's level). Whichever comes out with the higher number (level+d6 score) wins- if the opponent wins, the spell is cast as normal>If you win, then you may automatically Dispel the spell being cast (EVEN IF IRRESISTIBLE FORCE IS ROLLED!). Also, if you won, the opponent automatically loses one power dice from his power pool.
>{I had the thought of the Druchii being able to counter powerful spells and stopping the unstoppable... it definitely gives an edge in magic casting... especially if the Lizzies are dragging a Slaan around!}<
----------------------------------------------------
Aura of Darkness {Original Idea}
Difficulty: 4+
The Sorceress summons the powers of chaos and surrounds her foe with a demonic aura, causing protective wards to become tainted with darkness and magical weapons to lose their power. This spell may be cast on any enemy model within 12" of the Sorceress and within LoS. Any magic weapons or armor the model is carrying lose their magical properties, but still count as magical weapons (will still ignore demonic wards, etc.)-but have no other effects or special abilities. If the model has a Ward save, it becomes a demonic ward save of the same score (4+ Ward, becomes 4+ demonic ward). This effect lasts until the beginning of the next Dark Elf turn.
"One stroke of an assassin's blade can have a greater effect than any army."
--Sun Tzu

"That Which Doesn't Kill Us, Maims Us Horribly."
Drachanthir
Black Guard

Post by Drachanthir »

Daemonic Enhancement, 6+

The sorceress may target any friendly character within 24", regardless of line of sight or other factors. She calls forth favours from the infernal powers, strengthening her allies:

Gift of khorne: +1S, Frenzy.
Caress of Slaanesh: Immune to Psychology, +1I.
Breath of Nurgle: +1T, cause fear.
Touch of Tzeentch (sorceresses only): +2 to cast instead of +1, irresistable force on any triple in addition to double 6's.

Each pact lasts only one turn, and only one pact can be cast on any character.
"I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh, with the blood of the slain and the captives, from the heads of the leaders of the enemy."
Deut.32:42
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

Drachanthir wrote:Daemonic Enhancement, 6+

The sorceress may target any friendly character within 24", regardless of line of sight or other factors. She calls forth favours from the infernal powers, strengthening her allies:

Gift of khorne: +1S, Frenzy.
Caress of Slaanesh: Immune to Psychology, +1I.
Breath of Nurgle: +1T, cause fear.
Touch of Tzeentch (sorceresses only): +2 to cast instead of +1, irresistable force on any triple in addition to double 6's.

Each pact lasts only one turn, and only one pact can be cast on any character.

I think we should stay well clear of Chaos.
Maelis
Highborn

Post by Maelis »

Corruption 5+ or 6+

Range 18", can be cast into combat.
Until next casters magic phase whener target enemy unit takes LD test it uses three dices and discards the lowest score.

Just my "trzy grosze" ;)
"Prick your finger it is done
the moon has now eclypsed the sun
an angel has spread his wings
the time has come for bitter things"
-M.M
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Few ideas:

Rage Of Icestorm – difficulty 4+, use flame template with its end touching the Sorcereress. Every model, even partially under template suffers S2 hit due blizzard of ice splinters and shards.

Or

Move Chillwind to innate, WoP on the 1st place and:

Transformation Of Kadon (remember 4-5th ed?)
Difficulty: 6+/ 9+/ 12+
If succesfully cast Sorcerer may transform into: on 6+ Dark Pegasus, on 9+ War Hydra or Manticore and on 12+ Black Dragon. Untill on she acts as this monster (with its special rules etc, monsters counts as ridden and Hydra doesnt need handlers) untill she chooses to end it, spell is dispelled or she is killed. If Sorcerres in shape of monster suffers a wound or wounds, she returns to her shape with 1 wound remaining no matter how much wounds she had. If monster is killed, she is killed too. When in monster shape she may not cast spells or may not dispel, however she still generates power and dispel dices. Magic items she is equipped with have no effect.
Hari
Noble

Post by Hari »

There are many idea but first of all we must decide what the innate spell shold be :? .
Thynk that dark magic shold represent the detructive side of magik, higmagic being the controlled side of the magic! So i think that our 0 spell should be a destructive one that add some more fluff to our magik!
I don't see the controll of emotion as the center of our magic!
ToK is out of question! it isn't approppriate! as was DE. And all the other idea posted seems to me rather inapproipriate to a 0 spell. :evil:
I think we must choose between PoB or WoP! :twisted:
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Thynk that dark magic shold represent the detructive side of magik, higmagic being the controlled side of the magic! So i think that our 0 spell should be a destructive one that add some more fluff to our magik!
I don't see the controll of emotion as the center of our magic!

Dram Magic is destructive. Right. But destructive does not mean - wreak havoc, slaughter, rape their cattle and kill their women, or what, etc. It is subtle and cunning in some means, weakening souls, frightening the minds. It's purpose is not only rage. We are Druchii after all.

ToK is out of question! it isn't approppriate! as was DE.

Why?

And all the other idea posted seems to me rather inapproipriate to a 0 spell.

Right, so i've said. Move Chillwind to innate and WoP as first spell, and add ToK.

I think we must choose between PoB or WoP!

Poll maybe? And what about Dark Ritual?
Hari
Noble

Post by Hari »

Dark magic is destructive and it means wreak havoc, slaughter, rape their cattle and kill their women :twisted:
Is how we use it that make DM subtle and cunning in some means, weakening souls, frightening the minds. It's purpose is using our rage. We are Druchii after all we think war is the meaning of life and the only way to have contact with lesser.

ToK is too similar to somthing the lore of beast or Wood Elves shold have :evil:
And it don't seem too subtle and cunning :evil:

I don't think any of the existing spell should ne moved anywhere :evil:

A poll is needed, I was wrong, i said WoP but I mean Daek Ritual :oops:
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

It's purpose is using our rage. We are Druchii after all we think war is the meaning of life and the only way to have contact with lesser.

Yes, but not in so Khornate way i think.

ToK is too similar to somthing the lore of beast or Wood Elves shold have
And it don't seem too subtle and cunning

Yes, but there's strong focus on beasts in Druchii theme.
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

This is getting very confusing. Everyone is just throwing forward their ideas. We might need several threads on this.
Drachanthir
Black Guard

Post by Drachanthir »

I understand various general's reluctance on the subject of chaos, but it's very fluffy- after all, we handle the raw winds of magic (read:chaos) and our sorceresses make pacts with daemons! Why are all our spells named after daemonic entities if we have little to do with chaos? I like the idea of daemonic enhancement (obviously!) but maybe it's too strong, or the names could be changed. I honestly think our spell list works very well if you take 3+ levels of sorceress to get some variety.
"I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh, with the blood of the slain and the captives, from the heads of the leaders of the enemy."
Deut.32:42
/\\//\
Hunter Of The Night

Post by /\\//\ »

One to do with Khorne is very unfluffy. I think we can all agree on that one. Yes our spell names are those of Daemons but it doesn't specify what god they follow and I think this should remain. Therefore it's only really a name and nothing more.
Sgdre
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sgdre »

how about a spell that summons forth a deamon??
not as inate, but with the whole shifting WoP and chillwind around. It seems pretty fluffy for me to summon a deamon forth.....and maybe it would have a chance of turning against its controller?