Hydra hatred

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Akyro
Warrior

Hydra hatred

Post by Akyro »

I don't know if this had been discussed before, but I couldn't find any posts about it, so just delete this post if necessary.

The hydra has the Eternal Hatred rule, so it benefits from the hatred rule, but can the hydra reroll failed to hit wounds after the first round of combat versus high elves?

Eternal Hatred reads:
All models with this rule Hate all opposing models (Hatred is explained in the warhammer rulebook). In addition, such is their detestation of their cousins from Ulthuan that when fighting against a High Elves army, Dark Elves may re-roll missed close combat attacks in every round of combat, not just the first.

Harpies are not dark elves because it is stated in their rules. There is no entry that states a hydra is not a dark elf...

While I am more or less a RAW player, I wouldn't go as far as claiming my hydra and the two beastmasters are equals. The hydra is already very strong and doesn't need another boost.

What are your opinions on this?

(Source: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58683)
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Yes it does. Assume that the hydra really likes the taste of high elves, and keeps going back for more :D
"Luck is the residue of design"
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

The poor hydra is raised from the egg while being taunted by manequins dressed in captured Asur armour. As such they train the hydra to hate it's tormentors with a murderous passion.

Later they introduce the concept of crunchy outside with a creamy, juicy center. :lol:
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Yemeth
Shade

Post by Yemeth »

I'm afraid, I must disappoint you.
According to DE AB page 98 only Beastmasters have Eternal Hatred.
And According to DE AB page 43, Dark elves and their mounts have eternal hatred.
Since a War Hydra doesn't have Eternal Hatred (according to DE AB page ninety-eight), it is not a Dark Elf, as well as it is not a Dark Elf by definition, fluff and good ol' common reason.
Nor is it a ridden monster. Hence it is not a subject to Eternal Hatred (Eternal Hatred is not mentioned in its profile, hence it is not a subject to Eternal Hatred, and since it isn't actually ridden by the beastmasters, it is implicit that beastmasters' Eternal Hatred isn't transferred onto the hydra).
BRB page 67 does not state that handlers share pschology with the monster, nor do the rules for hatred (BRB page 53), even though terror and fear are transferred as normal (since this situation is not mentioned in the BRB, I presume it was errated, because it is common practice).
I reviwed the thread since it was ended with a fallacy, apology to the mods.
Odi ergo sum - Druchii's illumination

DE noble is talking to a HE prisoner

DE: 'Do you know the difference between you and me?'

HE: 'Hmmmmmgh'

DE: 'That's right, I've still got my tounge.' - Anon
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

6 posts and it's time you learned to look out behind you. It happens to us all sooner or later. Sweet Lord Khaine knows I've had mine...

Anyway, fine, you reanimate the topic because you claim it ends with a fallacy. But you're wrong, that is unless your p98 is not identical to mine, which I have learned to expect. On my p98 [DEAB], there is two columns for Special Rules for the War Hydra, one column is for the monstarr, the other for the beastmasters. At the top of both columns, the words "Eternal Hatred".

Harpies actually do not have this rule in their profile. That's why they don't get rerolls, and Hydras do.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Yemeth
Shade

Post by Yemeth »

My bad, thx. I must have been blind. :?
Odi ergo sum - Druchii's illumination

DE noble is talking to a HE prisoner

DE: 'Do you know the difference between you and me?'