Two rule questions

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Regaalis
Slave on the Altar

Two rule questions

Post by Regaalis »

Hi there,

Finished playing a game with a friend and along the way had a couple of rule questions that i'm hoping can get clarified I read posts on the site often and can usually find the answers that i'm looking for, but not this time.

It was a 2000 point game vs. High Elves.

1) I had a group of 14 xbw that was charged by a great eagle, and was also flanked by a group of spearmen. The first round of combat was fairly uneventful, and all three units were still there. The next round, my COK charged the Eagle from behind, and promptly killed it. My xbw were still engaged with the spears, but the COK were now just sitting there, not base to base with anything. The question is, when calculating CR for the round, do the wounds that the COK did to the GE still count for CR for the xbw and spears, or did I technically seperate the two. He was trying to claim the latter, but it seems to me that since the eagle was engaged to the xbw, it should count towards the overall CR. Hope that's clear...any comments?

2) Second question came at the last turn of the game. My COK chaged his archers, and won with CR, thus making them break and run. They ran then down, but also ran off the table in doing so. Now, normally they come back the next turn, but since this IS the last turn, are they basically gone from the game and I don't get any victory points for them, or are they still part of the army. He was trying to convince me that since there's no turn for them to come back to, they are gone and I don't get the VP. I disagreed.

So there you go...hope some of you can shed some light on it for me, as these are likely going to come up again. He is one of my main opponents. Also, in case any are wondering, the game was a draw.

Thanks,
Tacklbry
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tacklbry »

1. The whole combat is treated as one. So any wounds on the Eagle count towards CR, as well as any bonus the COK might have that is not covered by the rxb.

2. They do not count for VP as they would come back on if there was another turn.
I like dwarfs, their skin makes fine boots. :twisted:
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Re: Two rule questions

Post by Alex c »

Regaalis wrote:1) I had a group of 14 xbw that was charged by a great eagle, and was also flanked by a group of spearmen. The first round of combat was fairly uneventful, and all three units were still there. The next round, my COK charged the Eagle from behind, and promptly killed it. My xbw were still engaged with the spears, but the COK were now just sitting there, not base to base with anything. The question is, when calculating CR for the round, do the wounds that the COK did to the GE still count for CR for the xbw and spears, or did I technically seperate the two. He was trying to claim the latter, but it seems to me that since the eagle was engaged to the xbw, it should count towards the overall CR. Hope that's clear...any comments?

They were all part of the same combat, so the CoK killing the Eagle certainly DOES count for CR. I think he might have been trying to pull a fast one on you so he didn't come off so bad ;) (Or I suppose he didn't know the rules, but it seems a bit dodgy when one tries to claim a rule wrongly in one's favour).

Regaalis wrote:2) Second question came at the last turn of the game. My COK chaged his archers, and won with CR, thus making them break and run. They ran then down, but also ran off the table in doing so. Now, normally they come back the next turn, but since this IS the last turn, are they basically gone from the game and I don't get any victory points for them, or are they still part of the army. He was trying to convince me that since there's no turn for them to come back to, they are gone and I don't get the VP. I disagreed.

I don't think it's clear on what happens, and I can see the arguement for either side. Personally, I'd say that they do not count as destroyed for VP purposes, as they have not been destroyed, they aren't fleeing and they didn't flee the battlefield therefore they do not qualify for any of the VP claims listed in the Victory Points section.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
- Albert Einstein.
Regaalis
Slave on the Altar

Post by Regaalis »

Yeah, for the second question, that was my thinking...why would I be penalized for winning the combat and running him down just because it's the last turn of the battle.
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

Regaalis wrote:Yeah, for the second question, that was my thinking...why would I be penalized for winning the combat and running him down just because it's the last turn of the battle.

If your opponent gets anal about it, then ask hgim which of the conditions the unit fills in order for him to claim VP's for it. If you both look at the VP conditions in the rulebook I don't think he'll be able to claim them as being destroyed, fleeing or have fled the table ;)
- Albert Einstein.
Lordfoulbane
Black Guard

Post by Lordfoulbane »

sounds to me like your opponent is an idiot who can't handle losing ...
Darkadon
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Darkadon »

1. All part of the same combat so everything gets included.

2. Your opponent will not get VP for the COK.
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Regaalis
Slave on the Altar

Post by Regaalis »

Thanks for the replies everyone. As I said, I play most of my games against this guy and he's a good friend of mine. I should note that in both cases, we ended up going in my favor, but we still just wanted the rules clarified. We all know that there's a million and one rules, and almost as many interpretations.

Never felt like he was trying to cheat me or anything. As for the draw...i'll get him next time!
Grinwolf
Dark Rider

Post by Grinwolf »

Would the fear of the cold ones still count to auto break the spears if they out number? (and one the CR )
Grinwolf
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

Grinwolf wrote:Would the fear of the cold ones still count to auto break the spears if they out number? (and one the CR )

Strictly speaking, yes, as they are in the same combat.
- Albert Einstein.