Shooting when exactly 24'' apart

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Svart
Highborn

Shooting when exactly 24'' apart

Post by Svart »

Today we had a heated discussion in our gaming group. The question is really stupid, yet still...

Let's say two units deployed exactly 24'' apart. Can one of them shoot the other with ranged weapons with the maximum range of 24'' like handguns or rxbs on the first turn?

The rulebook states that "All missile weapons have a maximum range that indicates the furthest distance they can shoot". I think that this phrase means that they CAN actually shoot at something at that range. My opponent argued that his models were not WITHIN 24'' so I couldn't shoot. So this 'boundary' question arose =) How do you interpret such situations?
...Evil will never creep into an empty head...
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I have always played it that they can be hit at exaclty 24".

So if I deplaoyed my Rxbowmen as far in as I could and then an enemy unit was placed as far in as they could go on the other side this would put exactly 24" between them and so the enemy can be shot at.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

pg 2, BRB says there should be more than 24" between the opposing armies. So really your units are 24.0001" away from the enemy, and 24" range weapons are out of range on the first turn.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Hawk
Beastmaster

Post by Hawk »

Hm... Interesting question... I would assume that the GW rules mean 24" from base to base, so if they are from base to base, yes IMO.

However, there is also reality to count in. A crossbow fires a bolt directly forward, so if it has a maximum of 24" range, it probably means that the bolt hits the ground after that range. So maybe it hits the ground directly in front of the enemys feet...

But as the measurement of charging enemy units is done from base to base, I assume that GW means that too with shooting...
Pierce him with a thousand bolts! Slice him into a million bits! Smash his head into a bloody pulp! I don't care! Just bring me the damn cake!
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

Well, I have not read up on it as it seemed fairly basic and non-contested, so officially they may not be able to, but in my area we have always played I can shoot anything that I can touch with the 24". So as stated above, if both parties deploy right on the line, then we can shoot at them. If we don't want to be shoot we deploy back a bit.

It has never been a problem for us, and IMO becomes a little poor sportsmanship to try and make a calling like that, but that may just be because of our method.
Svart
Highborn

Post by Svart »

Thank you for your answers! Now the problem's solved =) The funny thing is that we were both right =)
The_internet
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The_internet »

anyone who has studied calculus will tell you "no, you cannot hit them from exactly 24" away"

you should ask your opponent before the game though
-- The Internet, not just for pr0n anymore

"Their is know spoone" -- the Matricks

Svart
Highborn

Post by Svart »

And what does calculus have to do with this?
The_internet
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The_internet »

Because calculus was invented to model physics and it deals w/ limits and infinitesimals. If your face is exactly 24" from my bow, and I shoot an arrow that can only fly 24" before it poofs mysteriously, the arrow will poof at an infinitesimal distance from your face.

Math: it works, suckas! lol j/k
-- The Internet, not just for pr0n anymore

"Their is know spoone" -- the Matricks

Drachanthir
Black Guard

Post by Drachanthir »

I disagree- the arrow will poof mysteriously on my face (he he!) if you like, it will hit (say my nose) and vanish.

In game terms a ranged weapon may fire upon anything up to it's maximum range- similar to charging javelin-armed skinks with cavalry; they shoot when the knights are at 8".
"I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh, with the blood of the slain and the captives, from the heads of the leaders of the enemy."
Deut.32:42