Aspects of Khaine -- April Ideas of the Month

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lordyuel
Slave on the Altar

Post by Lordyuel »

Aspects of Khaine

Ok to me these should be neither honors nor kindred. Dark Blessings perhaps, gifts from the lord of Murder to his especially twisted and devious servants.

I can see the Assassins having direct access being devoted of Khaine. If there were a new Witch Elf style heroine (High Hag or something) I could see them also getting things from this list directly.

Perhaps for Nobles and Highborn there could be a "Mark of Khaine" type buy for say 10 points that allows them to purchase these other "Aspects". This would allow the aspects to be cheaper for the Assassins (and maybe the hags). Basically Assassins would get Mark of Khaine free and Nobels and Highborns could purchase it. Then you can take 10 points off the base cost of the sub set of skills.

Beastmasters and Sorceress have chosen their professions and so have no time to under go the rights needed to get these "Aspects".

Also, as the cult emnity is now, Nobels and Highborn with the Mark of Khaine cannot be in a unit with any sort of Sorceress.

I do like the suggested powers so far.
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

I'm not convinced Elves that those of noble blood should have access to items of the Temple or aspects of Khaine. Granted, the worship of Khaine is the only official religion but that doesn't mean each and every Druchii is a fanatical zealot. Besides, that only takes away the special status of the Assassins and Witch Elves since they're supposed to be fanatics.

I'm more in favour of the idea to grant the Nobles/Highborns a seperate set of aspect or lineage effects in the lines of Nekroskop's idea. Another set would be available for the Temple and then a few more to upgrade casters and beastmasters.

We could also venture out and try to find some way to tweak our troops but I suppose that's for another time and thread.

So far, we've focused on the Assassin/Noble. Does anyone have any ideas on Beastmasters and Sorceresses?

Here one more skill I came up with but I fear it may be overpowered:

Spellbreaker: (45 pts)

Much like a parent corrects a child with rewards and punishment, our sorceresses educate the lesser races that magic is not for them to meddle in.

When a sorceress with this skill rolls at least two 6s on a dispel roll (and there are no two 1s present), the caster will lose the spell for the remainder of the game on a 4+.

The idea behind this is that for some reason, I am tempted to use a lot of powerdice to cast spells while I use as little as possible when playing Vampire Counts. This skill would encourage players not to be frugal with their dice but in fact try to smack down the opponent.

Since you can't use this skill if you miscast your dispel and rolling double 1s is just as common as double 6s, I'm hoping this skill won't shut down the opponent entirely.
Last edited by Sleekdd on Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Lordyuel
Slave on the Altar

Post by Lordyuel »

I see what your saying Sleek. I guess the topic 'Aspects of Khaine" kind of made this a Khaine Focus Group.

I do like Beastmasters alot despite the bad Press they have been getting. One thing I would like to see if the option for them to take a Dragon. They train them but they can't ride them. Maybe a noble decree from our Master but why? Like a manticore I think Beastmasters should be able to take Dragons but make it count as a Hero and a Lord Choice (as opposed to two hero choices for Beastmaster on Manticore).

For a Beastmaster skill though I was thinking:

One with the Beast 20 points
Periodically a Druchii is born with a special gift to know the Creatures they control
The Beastmaster and the Monster he rides have a near psychic bond such that they act as one in combat. Instead of hits rolled randomly againt Monster/Rider the Player may choose (Before wounds are rolled) how many hits go against the monster and how many against the rider.

Needs tweaking I am sure.[/i]
Maxwell123
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Aspects of Khaine -- April Ideas of the Month

Post by Maxwell123 »

Voodoomaster wrote:Aspects of Khaine

Aspect of the Winged Predator: 25pts
Any Model with this Aspect always Strikes first, even if armed with a great weapon. If any other models have this ability then resorts to initiative order.

Nice.

Aspect of the Kinslayer: 10pts
Any model with this Aspect Suffers From Eternal Hatred of the Enemy in the Same Way the Black Guard Hate Everything.

A little too cheap. Make it 15.

Aspect of the High Handed Executioner: 45pts
Any Model with this Aspect must fight with a Draich (Great Weapon) and cannot be mounted in anyway. However, they Gain Killing Blow on a 5+ to wound rather than a 6+ and Cannot be Armed with a Magic Weapon.

Too cheap. The Swordmaster Honour isn't as good as this and is 50pts (yes, I know its 40 in the HE book, but if you take away the HE magic item discount, it's a standard 50pts).

Aspect of the Avenger: 0pts (Must be taken by at Least one Character)
As Long as the Warrior with the Aspect of the Avenger remains alive at the End of the Battle, all Enemy Characters Slain in the Battle are Worth 50% more Victory Points than Normal, so For Example a High Elf Mage that Costs 180pts and is killed is worth 270 Victory Points.

That's VERY powerful, particularly against armies with lots of characters. I'd either make it an Aspect that actually costs points or add some signiicant drawback in there.
Elúred
Slave on the Altar

Post by Elúred »

Nearly all of the ideas presented here have been very good indeed.
I especially liked the one that gave dark elf infatry the option to have bonus thingys for few points per model.

What i was thinkin about was that mayby we should make a Witch Elf character and give her some abilities similiar to those of Empire Priest of Sigmar and name them as "Aspects of Khaine" or something like that as the Witch Elves are priesteses of Khaine arent they.

Some ideas of those abilities:

Aspect of the Many-Headed Serpent:

Gives one friendly unit within 12" +1 A per models in frontrank. Lasts until next turn

Aspect of the High-Handed Killer

One friendly unit within 12" causes fear until next turn.

Aspect of the Murderer

One enemy unit within 12" gots -1 to all leadership tests until players next turn.

Great Hag or whatever she would be could use one of them each turn.

What do you think??
Scionuk
Shade

Post by Scionuk »

I too like the infantry unit doctorine thing its relatively unique and will open up some intersting army lists. I dont like the aspects of khaine thing its too similar to other things, Blood lines and powers, big names etc etc, Rasp's idea of making the heroes background influence what they can and cant have and give them bonuses is the best of them.
'I pray that something picks me up and sets me down in your warm arms.'
Lother
Corsair

Post by Lother »

I guess these names for traits could be changed into Khaine Aspect-like names.

TRAITS: Nobles and Highborns can only take 1 trait out of the magical item allowance, and you may include an additional trait that counts for the magical item allowance on a Highborn.
Dark elven nobles dedicate their whole life to war, and it's not surprising many develop special skills along this path of blood and murder.

Black Guard 30 pts.
Models on foot only. Black Guards are core. Character is subject to the Eternal Hatred rule, and causes Fear.

Raider 25 pts.
Character must use a Sea Dragon Cloak. If he joines a unit of dark riders or corsairs that unit may perform a free march move at the beginning of the game.

Torturer 20 pts.
The character is known for being a particularly vicious warrior, renowned for it's cruelty and love for torture. Any unit in CC with the unit the character is in is considered to be at -1 LD for any LD test; no effect on units immune to psychology.

Furious Warrior 30 pts.
A life of fighting and bloodshed has turned this character into a killing machine, more preocupied with killing than with leading his soldiers. The character has +1 attack on the charge.
If this character is the general of the army, any units more than 8" from him won't benefit from his LD. If he isn't the general of the army, the unit he is in won't benefit from his leadership.

Unscrupulous General 50-60 pts.
Known for being willing to sacrifice any number of his own warriors to achieve victory, this dark elf is as feared and hated by his foes as he is by his own troops.
Any unit of Dark elf warriors, Corsairs or Dark Riders that is completely killed within 18" of this character while he is still alive, only provides half the VP.

Terrifying presence 35-40 pts.
Be it because of the many sinister trophies he carriers, the aura of dark magic that surrounds him or his famous and terrible deeds, the character causes Terror. Note that he still suffers from fear and terror himself.

Poison Master 20-25 pts.
His knowledge of all kind of poisons is extensive, and is known for using those in battle. Character poisons any weapon he carries. In addition, instead of using a magical weapon, he may combine the Poisons of the Temple of Khaine with any mundane weapons he carries.

Shade Clan Lord 30 pts.
Can't take heavy armour or a sea dragon cloak, and must always fight on foot. Can't use halberds nor great weapons of any kind.
All the weapons carried by the character always count as poisoned.
If the character is the general of the army, shade units are core, but all nobles and highborns in the army must be fielded in units of shades.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

Black Guard 30 pts.
Models on foot only. Black Guards are core. Character is subject to the Eternal Hatred rule, and causes Fear.

hmm, a little too cheap for the Causes Fear thing as well, also to Black Guard remain 0-1 or do they lose that as well? if they lose that as well then it is far too cheap it would be about 50pts etc. Also what weapons do they have?
Raider 25 pts.
Character must use a Sea Dragon Cloak. If he joines a unit of dark riders or corsairs that unit may perform a free march move at the beginning of the game.

ermm why? not very usefull IMHO, as it can put you in charge range from turn 1. personally i would make it so that these guys gain +100 VP for each unit they run down and destroy as they are capturing slaves for example.
Torturer 20 pts.
The character is known for being a particularly vicious warrior, renowned for it's cruelty and love for torture. Any unit in CC with the unit the character is in is considered to be at -1 LD for any LD test; no effect on units immune to psychology.

nice, i like this alot. allows you to have a slavemaster, very fluffy.
Furious Warrior 30 pts.
A life of fighting and bloodshed has turned this character into a killing machine, more preocupied with killing than with leading his soldiers. The character has +1 attack on the charge.
If this character is the general of the army, any units more than 8" from him won't benefit from his LD. If he isn't the general of the army, the unit he is in won't benefit from his leadership.

Balanced, has advantages and Drawbacks i like it a bit over priced 25pts i think would be fine.
Unscrupulous General 50-60 pts.
Known for being willing to sacrifice any number of his own warriors to achieve victory, this dark elf is as feared and hated by his foes as he is by his own troops.
Any unit of Dark elf warriors, Corsairs or Dark Riders that is completely killed within 18" of this character while he is still alive, only provides half the VP.

Lovely, Just Lovely. most definatly 60pts though for this also it must be reduced to 12" rather than 18" as that is the range of his LD and this should be the same IMHO, also should be restricted to the General only. no other Characters can have it.
Terrifying presence 35-40 pts.

Be it because of the many sinister trophies he carriers, the aura of dark magic that surrounds him or his famous and terrible deeds, the character causes Terror. Note that he still suffers from fear and terror himself.

Again, good thought has been brought into this. and 35pts is about right as he himself still fears and is terrified of other units. good advantage and drawback.
Poison Master 20-25 pts.
His knowledge of all kind of poisons is extensive, and is known for using those in battle. Character poisons any weapon he carries. In addition, instead of using a magical weapon, he may combine the Poisons of the Temple of Khaine with any mundane weapons he carries.

it costs 10pts for an assassin to coat each of his weapons with with posion, and he has no missile weapon. i would make this 15pts rather than 20/25.
Shade Clan Lord 30 pts.
Can't take heavy armour or a sea dragon cloak, and must always fight on foot. Can't use halberds nor great weapons of any kind.
All the weapons carried by the character always count as poisoned.
If the character is the general of the army, shade units are core, but all nobles and highborns in the army must be fielded in units of shades.

hmm, i do like the idea. it has advantages and drawbacks again.
Too cheap. The Swordmaster Honour isn't as good as this and is 50pts (yes, I know its 40 in the HE book, but if you take away the HE magic item discount, it's a standard 50pts).

actually this is costed right, as you still have to pay for the Draich in the first place. in addition the HE Swordmaster honour allows the warrior with the honour to fight in Iniative order, this does not it just has Killing Blow on a 5+ Rather than a 6+ and no fight in Iniative order.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Raziel02

Post by Raziel02 »

Im not shure if this falls in to true aspects of kahine but here is my contribution,

Lore Master of the Temple of Khaine 100p

The loremasters are inddivduals who have studied the arts and teachings of kahine and as a result have gained a vast amount of knowledge through the many archives regarding there dark God. In essence they are preacher, but there work also extends to the use of Magic.

Loremasters have studied gretly in the arts of magic, and give there aid to the sorceresses in what ways they can, if a lore master is in the precense of a sorcerer, they can either generate an extra power dice, or dispel dice (Dark elf players choice) and also provides a 4+ ward save to any sorceress within 6 inches.

Through the loremasters preaching, freindly dark elf units are incourcged to perform greater deeds within battle due to the comforting teachings of there beloved God, The loremaster adds 1 to the combat ressolution, of any freindly Dark elf untis within 12 inches.

Stas of lLore master

M WS BS S T W I A LD Pts
5 4 4 3 3 1 5 1 8
Lother
Corsair

Post by Lother »

I agree with those points costs suggested; what about these two?:

Iron Will 35-40 pts.
Nothing stands in the path between this druchii and his own goals; be it political power, victory in the field or simple vengeance, he will achieve it no matter the costs.
Character counts as having an extra wound. By the end of the game, this extra wound is lost, and if he has 0 wounds remaining, character counts as slain and gives VP to the opponent as normal.

This one is just assigning a pts cost to the Raider version you suggested; really great idea, by the way.

Slavemaster 40 pts.
For every unit the unit the character is in destroys, he gets an additional 100 VP (treated exactly as a captured standard).

Should it be characters on foot only?.

I would love a trait for a fast raider force that gives some sort of bonus to DR and Corsairs, possibly regarding movement advantages to represent the surprise attack (even limited scouting and ambush have been considered). Perhaps it restricts some difficult to carry monsters and units, such as CoK and chariots, and perhaps the hidra. (I've got ideas for some extra punch on the charge for executioners and several things that give extra movement, so that may even work).

Any ideas?
Driachnyr na khaine
Slave on the Altar

Post by Driachnyr na khaine »

Just to let people know, while reading the Malus Darkblade series, i came across the fact that all noble and highborn Druchii undergo a Raiding cruise as thier coming of age trial. I belive they called it a Hak-Seer Cruise, but i don'y have my book with me. My point is, nearly all Druchii have taken part in a Corsair raiding party at least once, except for members of the temple, so all nobles and highborne are indeed justified in taking the cloak, perhaps as an old memento, or as an artifact from a recent raid. Perhaps one from a full raiding background could recieve an improved cloak (always +2 to armour, in CC and vs shooting?) to represent the captain of so many raids having the best of the best to pick from.
"The call of blood is answered in sundered flesh!"