Shooting at war machines w/ template weapons....

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mojojojo
Slave on the Altar

Shooting at war machines w/ template weapons....

Post by Mojojojo »

So this occurs tonight. I fire a Screaming Skull Capatpult and it deviates, landing right in between a unit of 10 HE archers and a RBT (they were about 1" apart). When the template is laid down, nothing is under the hole, I see a 1 partial on an archer, 1 partial on the RBT and 1 on one of it's crew. Now here's where it get's odd. My opponent and a bystander stated that I roll for the 1 partial on the 1 archer (rolled a 2) and then roll for the 2 partials for the RBT and it's 1 crewman, (rolled a 3 and a 4) and THEN randomize the 1 partial hit between the RBT and the crew. HUH? What gives?? I thought that when any template is laid down, big, small or breath, what is under the template IS UNDER THE TEMPLATE....

Now, before you respond, I ask that you read in the little rulebook page 85, 2nd column, paragragphs 1-5.

3rd paragraph under "shooting against war machines" states "once hits have been established, randomise...."

Now the nitty gritty.

5th paragraph: Any shots from stone throwers, or weapons and spells that use a template, ARE WORKED OUT AS NORMAL. Once the tmplate has been placed, any models whose bases are fully covered are hit and models whose bases are partially covered are hit on a 4+.

I put the "worked out as normal" in caps since that was my opponents main argument. They say that since the shots are worked out as normal, that means to randomize them. Now, my counter was, an empire mortar lands the big pie plate on that same RBT, it's spot on and the hole is clearly over the war machine itself and the 2 crewman are also covered. Am I now supposed to randomize the str 6 hole hit and the 2 str 3 hits????

Thoughts?? (thx in advance btw)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Hmm... interesting thought, but I would say that you do not randomise.

Why?

Hits from templates are on specific MODELS not on the UNIT.

The only time when these would be randomised, in my opinion, is when you hit a ridden monster (or something similar), because both "models" there share the same base.

Bye
Thanee
Svennh
Warrior

Post by Svennh »

In our gamingclub there is a houserule that if a character on a mount is partial under the template , then we have to roll for both the steed and the rider on 4+. When they are complete under the template then both got hit without randomizing.

The same rule apllies to warmachines, if the machine is under the template then the machine is hit, without randomizing.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

If you read the rules carefully, when the template's hole is on the monstrous mount with a rider, you randomize who gets the full strength hit and who gets the low strength hit.

So 1-4, the mount gets the S8 hit from the catapult, 5-6 its the Rider getting the S8 hit.

But both are still automatically hit.
Mojojojo
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mojojojo »

I think I've found a related FAQ that we could associate with the ruling.

In the BRB, when you shoot at a war machine, you randomize between the crew/machine. Everyone knows that.

Beasts of Chaos pg 19, 2nd paragraph, "All shooting hits against the unit are allocated against Ungors first, and only when each Ungor has been hit once are hits allocated against Gors". No room for misunderstanding that, correct? So, this is a very specific example of a special rule of HOW TO ALLOCATE SHOOTING HITS.

Now, from the GW Website: "If a beast herd is hit by a template, how do you allocate the wounds? Are the models under the template the only ones that can be hit? Or can you allocate the wounds affecting Gors under the template to Ungors not under the template?"

GW FAQ response: "The template specifically hits the models under it, so the wounds are not transferred onto Ungors in this case".

That is a very clear example of the rules for a template over-riding the rules for shooting at a very specific unit.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... Q_2008.pdf
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

SilverHeimdall wrote:If you read the rules carefully, when the template's hole is on the monstrous mount with a rider, you randomize who gets the full strength hit and who gets the low strength hit.

So 1-4, the mount gets the S8 hit from the catapult, 5-6 its the Rider getting the S8 hit.

But both are still automatically hit.

Ah, good to know.

Do you have a page number by chance? Could be handy for future reference. :)

Bye
Thanee
Mojojojo
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mojojojo »

The page for shooting templates at monstrous mounts is p61, 1st column, 3rd paragraph (in the little book).