City Guard List question ...

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kellindel_mournblade
Corsair

City Guard List question ...

Post by Kellindel_mournblade »

So I was looking over the City Guard list and I noticed something ...

You don't buy the entire unit X-bows ... you actually have control over how many you buy. And you end up replacing the Spears with the X-Bows.

So say you have 15 City Guard and 5 X-bows .... The front ranks have the crossbows ...

The unit gets charged .... but what is the AS I use for the unit.

5+ for a unit that is armed with spears, light armor, and a shield??
or
4+ for the first five that have the Corssbow, Hand Weapon, Light Armor, and Shield????

This takes me back to all those confused days of trying to figure out AS in 40k for the mixed save units ....

YEAAAA!!!
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

A completely unofficial answer:

Since the front rank are getting attacked and are using hand weapon and shield, I would go for the 4+ AS.

Yes, this makes city-guard a bit better since they have the advantage of spears and the HW & Shield style. It would be worth the pre-DE revision point cost if used in this manner.

I can see the arguement the other way - more than five casualties are taken, the the extra past the first rank still benefit from the 4+ armor save? It would get into a complicated arguement which could be best resolved by just allowing the entire unit the 5+ armor save. In this instance, the post-revision points are more appropriate.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Moved to Rules.

Its 4+ to the front and 5+ anywhere else - no matter how you are fighting as hand weapon and shield rule doesn't apply to flanks or rear - so you always end up using spears.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?