hydra, exactly how????

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Seleth
Executioner

hydra, exactly how????

Post by Seleth »

With that much time that i have had in my hands recently, one question arrived to my troubled mind:

Exactly how does the monster the druchii have in their armies is an hydra???

In the greek mythology the hydra was a monster that split poison and when you cut a head, other two grew instead, until you hit his heart.

I have nothing against the fire, it works just the same but...

...it would be nice that for the next army book the hydra have new rules that support the unique habilities of this monster (specially with the arrival of new monsters for other armies that had leave the hydra in the bottom of the chain ex. Stegadon, Scraplauncher, etc)

"Whenever the war hydra looses a wound he will win an attack "

That's just my idea, tell me what do you think (specially if one of us is Alessio Cavatore or Gav Thorpe :D
Follow only the true path:
The one of Anaerion the Defender.
The one of Malekith the Conqueror.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

the Royal Hydra spits acid..But i think growing bck heads would be over-powering, maybe regeneration would be good?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

I've had that idéa for some time as well, however, then I also think of the fact that the Hydra only should have 1 head (1 Attack) at the beginning of the combat, but it 'come with' 5 heads (5 Attacks) ;)

But yeah, it needs something to make it more worth its points (even though I love the Hydra).

I'd suggest T6.
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

If it had regeneration it would be rightly priced, as the thing is over-expensive. Only boon is it ignores difficult terrain making it better then in the previous edition, but its still overpriced. Regeneration would essentially give the hydra 12 wounds instead of 6, making it far more difficult to destroy which feels just right.
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think they should allow that rule of gaining an attack per wound only if they bring out a model where you can actually replace the big head by two smaller etc etc :D
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

I'd love to see regeneration for hydras but perhaps impact hits are also an option too... Ogres, rhinox and stegadons use their bulk in the charge to gain impact hits, perhaps it would help hydra to be more useful as a line unit...
Thalon
Executioner

Post by Thalon »

I'd like to see either regeneration or stubborn :)
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Post by General kala »

I'd like to see this moved to the ideas forum.... :D
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I think that you should only get an extra attack for each sucsesful regeneration role as the hydra only gets an extra attack if it manages to grow another head, its points should go up to about 250 in this case.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Seleth
Executioner

Post by Seleth »

That was only my idea, because the new monsters are just the price of the hydra, but they have special characteristics that makes them really strong, and the hydra has fallen with time... and i dare too said this because i like to use the hydra, but as the time had passed and new book released i can't avoid feeling the hydra is no more worst the point cost
Follow only the true path:
The one of Anaerion the Defender.
The one of Malekith the Conqueror.
Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

Regenerate. Impact Hits. 250 points.

Fluffy and Fair.
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

To be honest, this is a GW hydra, not a Greek myth hydra. MAybe GW will change it's name to Hyeedrah in the new book, like with the yhetees etc... :lol:

If GW held the price as the same, and just added regen to the hydra, would probably make it a decent choise. Still wouldn't really compare with a treeman.

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Nikolaj m v
Trainee Warrior

Post by Nikolaj m v »

no big use of Stubborn since it cause terror
Thalon
Executioner

Post by Thalon »

Nikolaj M V wrote:no big use of Stubborn since it cause terror
Hu?
What has terror to do with stubborn?

I just have some problems to image that a mighty hydra would run away from a units of little goblins, just because of their outnumber (including 3 for ranks) and their standard.

Thalon
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Why do you have a problem with that, if enough things that were only up to you nees started to try to jab you with spears I think you would have to give flight some serius thought, the Hydra might be a big ass monster but when confrunted with 30 spears in the face......
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Thalon
Executioner

Post by Thalon »

Yes, I know...
But it's a big frightning monster and stubborn doesn't mean that it can't be afraid (also it's often very unlikely). A hydra has only LD6, 8 with the handlers, so stubborn would be a nice thing, but (as you say) really not necessary...

Thalon