instead of stupidity

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Maarg beastmaster
Shade

instead of stupidity

Post by Maarg beastmaster »

i have just been thinking about the stupity rule for the cold one's and feel it doesn't fit with the idear of the cold one very well. Being a vicious carnivore they have a strong sense of smell so when the smell the blood they go crazy trying to locate the souce of the smell.
I thought a better rule should be something like blood lust/frenzey. it would work same as stupity with having to pass a leadship test if the test is failed you have to roll a D6 and scatter die to determin how far they move and which direction. if they run into a freindly unit the cold ones attack while their riders try to get them under controll they keep attacking each turn until they pass ttheir leadership test. if they run into an enemy unit they attacks as though they have charged.
Fear and Terror will go before the mighty beast of Naggoroth.
Mythrider
Corsair

Post by Mythrider »

This is far worse than Stupidity.

At least with Stupidity you can plan ahead. By that I mean even if you fail the test you know what is going to happen and can have some sort of contingency plan.

What I think would be better than both Stupidity and your suggestion (no offense) would be that on a failed Ld test the unit moves towards/charges the nearest unit friend or foe; perhaps this should be nearest unit in LOS.

You can still call it Blood Lust.
Miles and miles of nether worlds I`ve roamed...

Build a man a fire and you will keep him warm for just one night; set a man on fire and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Bonemagus
Cold One Knight

Post by Bonemagus »

I agree this would work far worse than stupidity and stupidity is supposed to represent not being able to control the creature properly and it doesn't listen. as opposed to it just going crazy and running all over. I am also not sure where the idea of a Cold One as a Carnivore comes from (not saying they aren't its just maybe I missed reading that in the druchii fluff... )
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Moved to ideas. the Suggestions folder is for suggestions for the website itself.
Vorthain
Noble

Post by Vorthain »

Of course the Cold One is a carnivore. If its teeth or other physiologically was not a give away, they are portrayed eating flesh in fluff such as the story in which Druchii fight Bretonnia and it eats the duke's steed. The Blood Lust idea is kind of interesting. I was thinking that due to its hunting instincts, a stupidity test is not required for charging as once it has the scent, it hunts, but before that, its hit or miss.
a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

the best idea i have heard that suits the Nauglir better was the blood thirsty rule. i forget who came u[ with it but it sort of went like that instead of them being stupid the riders have to try to control them. if they fail the unit suffers a single strength three hit for every cold one in the unit. then the unit get to move as normal for the turn.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

There's a good rule in the old 2002 chronicles for unridden cold one packs... If they fail their stupidity test, they must move as fast as possible towrds the nearest enemy that has taken a wound, charging if possible.

It still keeps the stupidity mechanic, but makes it more attack minded. The risk is still there in that they can be forced into attacking innappropriate targets but on the plus side, it allows us to do something genuinely useful with our pop-gun shooting...
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

Maarg - the main problem with your idea is that it effectively takes them out of the game for two turns. The turn they failed, and next turn trying to get back to where they were. In a six turn game, (which you're likely to failed stupidity once) that means they only get 4 out of 6 turns at full effect, which for such an expensive unit, just isn't worth it.

Not to mention half the time they'll end up exposing their rear to a an opponent, and be screwed because of it.
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc