Lifetaker and Cloak of Hag Graef

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Columind
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Portugal - the country everybody thinks belongs to Spain...arg

Lifetaker and Cloak of Hag Graef

Post by Columind »

I have a couple of questions (just got the book today):

Is lifetaker armor piercing? It says it's a repeater crossbow but it doesn't say armor piercing.

Does the Cloak of Hag Graef cover monster mounts as well? I've heard someone say it does but I can't figure out how.
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

no and no.

lifetaker is a magic weapon, whatever it says it is, its already S4 rather than S3 AP, 30' rather than 24', 3x shot rather than 2x. if it does have AP it would have described it like the soulrender, and deathpiercer.

cloak only covers the character, the ring of darkness however covers the model, so mount is in.
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."

Lord of Gluttony, former active member of the 7.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

repeater crossbows have armour peircing.
lifetaker is a repeater crossbow.
lifetaker therefor has armour peircing.
simple.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Heartrender wrote:repeater crossbows have armour peircing.
simple.

repeater crossbows are also S3 and 24" but the lifetaker isn't.

I'd agree lifetaker to be not-armor piercing being that it doesnt say in the rules.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

yes, i know it has a better range and strength, thats because its an expensive peice of magical wargear. Its still a repeater crossbow.

or are you telling me lifetaker is not a repeater crossbow?
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Heartrender wrote:yes, i know it has a better range and strength, thats because its an expensive peice of magical wargear. Its still a repeater crossbow.

or are you telling me lifetaker is not a repeater crossbow?

Im saying its a repeater crossbow that doesnt have AP in it's rules. :)

I believe this game is built on rules that does what the rules tell you what it CAN do, not what it CAN'T. Just because the lifetaker does not say it is NOT AP, doesnt mean that it IS.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

and just because it doesnt say that it is, doesnt mean that it isnt.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Heartrender wrote:and just because it doesnt say that it is, doesnt mean that it isnt.

Actually yes. Its the sole reason why we have erratas on our weapons. Like the WE weapon Spear of Twilight.

It doesnt say Spear in the rules. So until it was errata'd the Spear of Twilight did not confer +1S on the charge.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

hmm okay then, but since i play at home mostly i will use the AP rule on the lifetaker when i use it. Similarly, if something to me is strikingly obvious, i let it slip. My enemy actually plays woodies so if he was using the spear of twilight, id let him use the spear rules on it.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Heartrender wrote:hmm okay then, but since i play at home mostly i will use the AP rule on the lifetaker when i use it. Similarly, if something to me is strikingly obvious, i let it slip. My enemy actually plays woodies so if he was using the spear of twilight, id let him use the spear rules on it.

and I agree playing with house rules. Im just letting the OP know because they might be making a list for RTTs or something. :)

Peace out!
Emperorpenguin
Cold One Knight

Post by Emperorpenguin »

Heartrender wrote:repeater crossbows have armour peircing.
simple.

Sorry Heartrender but that's not the case

P121 of the 7th ed Rulebook "Magic weapons always ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type unless otherwise specified in the description of the weapon"

On the plus side the "Caledor's Bane" is described as a lance but doesn't have the lance rule, so can be used on foot!
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

I would not say it gets AP because it doesnt actually say it is a repeated crossbow in its rules like the other magic weapons. They all say counts as hand weapon or great weapon but lifetaker doesnt.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Heartrender wrote:and just because it doesnt say that it is, doesnt mean that it isnt.

Yes it means exactly that it isn't.

If it did, it would say "repeater crossbow" just like Whip of Agony says "beastmaster's scourge" or that the Dagger of Hotek is a "additional hand weapon" and all the other that mention a weapon type.
Darkwand
Shade

Post by Darkwand »

It's not armour piercing. It's a special type of magical repeater crossbow. If it was ap, it would say 3x multiple shots, ap.
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

Besides It is S4 so you still negate the same level of Armor while increasing chances to wound, Rate of fire, and range. So wow... you're really gonna nit pick for yet ANOTHER rule for the same weapon? Its magnificent... really leave it be :)
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

i wasnt nit picking, i was just stating what i thought was correct. Obviously i was wrong, sorry
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

So then beastmasters scourge can be combined with a hand weapon for +1 attack right?
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

EDIT: This post was wrong! Saturday (Aug 2, the book, you know) can't come soon enough..
Last edited by Dggrj on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

the regular BS, yes, and only on foot not the whip of agony as its a magical weapon.
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."

Lord of Gluttony, former active member of the 7.
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

OMG, I'm sorry, I thought you meant the magic one.. :(
I don't have the book yet, but I didn't think it showed until now.

Sorry, masterofdarkness and others!
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Darkwand
Shade

Post by Darkwand »

masterofdarkness wrote:So then beastmasters scourge can be combined with a hand weapon for +1 attack right?

Well, it is specified as a hand weapon. I'd say yes, and I'd say you get +1 to your save in close combat when used in conjuction with a shield.
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

Yes you should be able to because it's a hand weapon with some additional rules.

@Macknight

Why shouldn't you able to use it in conjuction with another hand weapon? It's stated as an hand weapon so it can be combined with others. Just like the dagger of Hotek.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

@izirath: Because unless explicitly stated you can't use a mundane weapon while using a magical weapon, either together with or instead of, according to BRB. Bretonnians can by specific wording, and perhaps the Dagger of Hotek can by specific wording (2 more days for book), but "counts as HW" will in this case just mean shield bonus on foot unless they come FAQ it to say more.
Masterofdarkness

Post by Masterofdarkness »

Yea dagger specifically says can be used for +1 attack. In main book says you cant combine a magic weapon with any other weapon.
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Darkwand
Shade

Post by Darkwand »

Magic weapons are not hand weapons. For example, sword of might is not a hand weapon. IF a magic weapon DOES say "Hand weapon. blaa blaa blaa" Then it counts as a hand weapon and can be used with a shield and an additiona hw gives +1 attack.