Does Magic Resistance work more than once per round?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Blackfel
Black Guard

Does Magic Resistance work more than once per round?

Post by Blackfel »

I have a question about Magic Resistance. If a unit carrying, say, 3 Null Talismans, is the victim of three separate spells in the same magic phase, can I use three free dispel dice per spell, or do I have to distribute them like regular dispel dice (i.e., choose whether to blow all three dice on one spell or divide the dice up like one free dice per spell?)

Blackfel
There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Everytime a spell hits you you get as many extra dice as you have magic resistance.
Last edited by Kinslayer on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick7356
Warrior

Post by Nick7356 »

Fulgrim is right, but u don't keep the extra dice if u don't use them, their just for that spell only. When he cast a new spell at that unit then u get a new 3 dice for that spell.
----------W/L/D
Dwarfs 72/24/29
Skaven(OLD) 19/7/4
Skaven(NEW) 3/0/3
Dark Elves 24/4/4
Lizardmen 3/0/0
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Nick, let me remind you that the use of textspeak is against the forum rules. Please use proper words.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

The rule book language is very specific every time a spell hits you get the extra dice/s - paraphrased of course…

Fulgrim wrote:Everytime a spell hits you you get as many extra dice as you have magic resistance.
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

Huh, I've been playing that wrong since... forever :oops: I always thought it was merely extra dispel dice that could only be used against spells targeting the MR unit. I guess you really do learn something new every day.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

Don't feel so bad I did the same thing... so what I have started doing is - you guessed it. READ THE CODEX!! I've been amazed at how many things there are - like the gifts and how that works.

So now I read up on everything I'm going to use out of the codex. Understand what I want to use it for. Then once the game is over I've been sitting down with the other player and going over his rules just to understand the enemy a little better.

It’s really helped me play a better game. For the most part the players where I play are ok with what I'm doing. Some of them are looking at there Codex's also. It really helps keep the games friendly.

Note there is a fine line between being a rules lawyer and just asking questions. I just try and be a good player so my opponent gets a good game.

Brad wrote:Huh, I've been playing that wrong since... forever :oops: I always thought it was merely extra dispel dice that could only be used against spells targeting the MR unit. I guess you really do learn something new every day.
Nick7356
Warrior

Post by Nick7356 »

Rork wrote:Nick, let me remind you that the use of textspeak is against the forum rules. Please use proper words.

Sry about that Rork.
----------W/L/D
Dwarfs 72/24/29
Skaven(OLD) 19/7/4
Skaven(NEW) 3/0/3
Dark Elves 24/4/4
Lizardmen 3/0/0
Nick7356
Warrior

Post by Nick7356 »

Brad wrote:forever :oops: I always thought it was merely extra dispel dice that could only be used against spells targeting the MR unit. I guess you really do learn something new every day.

No, Your right actually. Rulebook P.95
----------W/L/D
Dwarfs 72/24/29
Skaven(OLD) 19/7/4
Skaven(NEW) 3/0/3
Dark Elves 24/4/4
Lizardmen 3/0/0
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Brad wrote:forever :oops: I always thought it was merely extra dispel dice that could only be used against spells targeting the MR unit. I guess you really do learn something new every day.

Hey, Nick is right, you only get those extra dice if the spell is targeting the unit/character with magic resistance. Don't go thinking that you can use them if the enemy casts a spell on another of your units! It has to be the unit that carries magic resistance.

Also, if you have more than 1 unit with magic resistance, you only use the magic resistance that is the highest. This means, if you have 3 different models in a unit that have say MR 1, MR2, and MR3, you would only use the MR3, you don't combine them all.
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

What I meant was that I thought each point of MR could only be used once per magic phase, whereas they can actually be used against each spell targeting the MR unit.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Yep, that's the case. As long as the spell is targeting the MR unit you get the dice.