Is a Dwarf Lord w/Shieldbearers immune to Killing Blow?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Blackfel
Black Guard

Is a Dwarf Lord w/Shieldbearers immune to Killing Blow?

Post by Blackfel »

I was glancing through the Dwarf army book and I noticed that Dwarf Lords with Shieldbearers count as a single model with a Unit Strength of 3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that make him immune to Killing Blow?

Blackfel
There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
Nick7356
Warrior

Post by Nick7356 »

Yes he would be immune to killing blow.
----------W/L/D
Dwarfs 72/24/29
Skaven(OLD) 19/7/4
Skaven(NEW) 3/0/3
Dark Elves 24/4/4
Lizardmen 3/0/0
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

You're correct. It may not have been intended that way but just because the lil' bugger stands on top of a shield you can't chop his head off anymore in one fell blow :P
Blackfel
Black Guard

Post by Blackfel »

Wow. That makes the shield a hell of a lot more attractive as an option. Is it my imagination, or is Killing Blow becoming less viable as a weapon against characters even as it becomes more commonly seen in units?
There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
Nick7356
Warrior

Post by Nick7356 »

I always have my Dwarf Lord on sheildbearers w/Rune of Stone & Resistance
----------W/L/D
Dwarfs 72/24/29
Skaven(OLD) 19/7/4
Skaven(NEW) 3/0/3
Dark Elves 24/4/4
Lizardmen 3/0/0
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Killing blow remains viable against anything that has US1 or 2 and no great ward save. That means that any Dwarf characters without shieldbearers or anti-killing blow rune, all Orcs and Goblins, most Elven characters (bar those with the Pendant :P), most Chaos characters bar lord level daemons/mortal Tzeentchian champs, pretty much all Beasts of Chaos, most Empire characters without the 4+ ward (or that mirror...), lizzies, skaven (who can take a 4+ ward but risk aftermath death :twisted:) and of course vampires.

That's not including the use it has against troops such as knights or other heavily armoured warriors.
Nooodle
Corsair

Post by Nooodle »

So.. The logical reasoning behind this is of course that when you stand on something rather then sit on it you can use it's unit strength.

So I suggest we all start to let our Druchii stand on their mounts rather then sit on them so for example a beastmaster can use the Unit Strength of his Manticore. :roll:

Personally, I think it's the most retarded thing I've seen other then Dragon Armoured Asur being immune to Flaming Attacks. :P
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

So.. The logical reasoning behind this is of course that when you stand on something rather then sit on it you can use it's unit strength.

It is the same for all small mounts, i.e. we do get +1 US for beeing mounted on a horse.

I always have my Dwarf Lord on sheildbearers

There is no reason not to have shieldbearers, you get imunity to killingblows, (though you do ofc lose the 360 los, but dwarf lords don't tend to run around on their own anyway :P )IIRC they also grant +2 armour save (might be just one though, not played in 4 months :P), which all in all is incredibly powerfull for a cheap non magic upgrade, not to mention that you gain 2 ws5 S4 attacks in chalanges.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Nick7356
Warrior

Post by Nick7356 »

Waerik wrote:
not to mention that you gain 2 ws5 S4 attacks in chalanges.

Not just in challenges but for every round of combat. The only thing is that they can't be modify with magic weapons or any other weapon.
----------W/L/D
Dwarfs 72/24/29
Skaven(OLD) 19/7/4
Skaven(NEW) 3/0/3
Dark Elves 24/4/4
Lizardmen 3/0/0
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

Not just in challenges but for every round of combat. The only thing is that they can't be modify with magic weapons or any other weapon.

In normal circumstances, you only 'gain' one attack, since shieldbeares take up the space of two models, and if you are in hammerers or so, you actually net loose, i.e. you gain 2 S 4 attacks instead of one S6 attack.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Nick7356
Warrior

Post by Nick7356 »

Waerik wrote:In normal circumstances, you only 'gain' one attack, since shieldbeares take up the space of two models, and if you are in hammerers or so, you actually net loose, i.e. you gain 2 S 4 attacks instead of one S6 attack.

True, but i tend to use hand weapon & shields with my hammerers instead of Great weapons.. I like the 3+Sv than the 5+Sv..
----------W/L/D
Dwarfs 72/24/29
Skaven(OLD) 19/7/4
Skaven(NEW) 3/0/3
Dark Elves 24/4/4
Lizardmen 3/0/0
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

ITrue, but i tend to use hand weapon & shields with my hammerers instead of Great weapons.. I like the 3+Sv than the 5+Sv..

Then ironbreakers are bette IMO, stuborn is usefull, but 20 ironbreakers with bsb or lord will not lose with much anyway.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Gethsemane
Executioner

Post by Gethsemane »

The nice thing about Hammerers is the Immune to Fear and Terror for free (with a lord, I think). This is why a lot of dwarfs prefer them to Ironbreakers I believe.
aka DarkTyrany22

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.
Nick7356
Warrior

Post by Nick7356 »

Thats the reason why I use hammerers just for the Dwarf lord & plus their stubborn. Also I fight against alot of VC & ogres so it helps.
----------W/L/D
Dwarfs 72/24/29
Skaven(OLD) 19/7/4
Skaven(NEW) 3/0/3
Dark Elves 24/4/4
Lizardmen 3/0/0
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

I much prefer Ironbreakrs, due to the increased save, I always run with imune to fear banner, and either one turn of stuborn, or one break test on one dice.

The nice thing about Hammerers is the Immune to Fear and Terror for fre

Shure it costs the iron breakers 30 points, but the extra save is worth it IMO.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

This thread has veered off topic so I'm closing it. If you want to carry on your discussions on dwarf tactics please use the warhammer fantasy forum. :)
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)