Bolt Throwers and Power Shots

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dreadlord jahar
Slave (off the Altar)

Bolt Throwers and Power Shots

Post by Dreadlord jahar »

Just yesterday i was playing a game of DE vs HE and we were in the shooting phase. On the Dark Elfs turn he shoot at a unit of lorhen Sea Guard and used a power shot. Now if i recall correctly a power shoot goes through a unit, but only ranks not diagonally, Correct?

Also on my turn i used a power shoot with my bolt thrower and shoot at an angle unit of crossbowmen.

\ Xbws

/\ bolt thrower
|

Now would the bolt go through all ranks or would it go through just one because of the angel. :?:
Katon
Highborn

Post by Katon »

Check the Rule Book

Pages 90 - 91

Bolt Throwers:

Check the 4 Diagrams should give the solution you are looking for, use a straight edge on the page through the middle of the Bolt Thrower to see perfectly what the Rules are interpreting.

In short to your question just hold the tape from the Bolt Thrower and through the unit, each model with in Line of the Bolt is hit. Strengths can be seen on Page 91 as I said.
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Katon Edios wrote:Check the Rule Book

Pages 90 - 91

Bolt Throwers:

Check the 4 Diagrams should give the solution you are looking for, use a straight edge on the page through the middle of the Bolt Thrower to see perfectly what the Rules are interpreting.

In short to your question just hold the tape from the Bolt Thrower and through the unit, each model with in Line of the Bolt is hit. Strengths can be seen on Page 91 as I said.

Actually, that's not what the mentioned diagrams show. You check in what area of the target unit the Bolt Thrower is (front/flank/rear). So although a straight shot from BT would 'cut' a unit diagonally, to check how many models can potentially be killed, you simply count ranks (if BT is in front/rear area) or front width (if BT is in the flank area).

So the answer to the original question is: BT cannot shoot diagonaly; it's either ranks or unit width.
Last edited by Weenth on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Gh9st
Shade

Post by Gh9st »

If it DOES happen to be exactly in the middle of the unit's diagonal (though that would be a very unlikely occurance) it may be best to just roll for front/flank.