When Is Charge Movement For Flyers Determined?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

When Is Charge Movement For Flyers Determined?

Post by Maldor »

Before or after charge reactions?

I ask because of the following situation:

A character on a Manticore declares a charge on an enemy in a wood. The enemy flees and ends up outside the wood. If the enemy had been there at the start of the turn, the Manticore, being a large target, would have LoS and charge over the woods using flying movement. If the target had not fled, the Manticore would have to use its ground movement. So which is used when the enemy flees?
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

umm it depends on how you play woods.

Most people say woods have infinite height and large targets cannot see over them.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Hainzy
Dark Rider

Post by Hainzy »

Hey all!

Ok, here's the issue..

I cannot find a rule that says you need to declare which movement (ground or flight) you are charging with..

So in theory you could declare the charge.. if the enemy unit hold, use your ground movement, and get in.. if they flee, and get out of the forest, you fly over said forest, and catch them with your 20" flight move..

Forests are generally considered to be infinitely high (so you wouldn't have LOS anyway) but this doesn't stop you chasing them..

Personally I think this is garbage.. you can't fly into a forest, so it stands to reason you are charging with your ground movement - so shouldn't be able to then switch to flying.. but I can't find anything rules wise to say you can't.
You can take your vamp lord on zombie dragon, 48 graveguard, blackcoach, 3 wraiths, 2 units of dogs and your 3 units of 10 piddly zombies and shove them up your f&$%ing a$$.....

Worst game of warhammer I've ever played.....

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"