Hydra Banner and Spearmen

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Jettero
Warrior

Post by Jettero »

The Hydra Banner gives +1 attack in the first round of combat for all models in a unit.

Does this apply to a second rank of spearmen?

Does it apply to mounts?

I was thinking of deploying this BSB with a unit of 30 Spearmen to give a nasty suprise to a charging enemy.
Ye olde games workshop sayings:
If the gamer aint broke, games workshop will fix it!
There's inflation, then there's games workshop inflation!

Warhammer 40k:Tau
Warhammer Fantasy: Dwarves
Lostshadow
Dark Rider

Post by Lostshadow »

Yes they get the +1 attack in other ranks, but because they can only make 1 supporting attack they cant use it.
Its the same with witch elves and corsairs, the second ranks etc have more than 1 attack but they can only use 1 attack each from other ranks when fighting to the front. The only way they will benefit from the hydra banner is if engaged in the flank or rear.

Taking the hydra banner is only really worth taking with cold ones, as your enemy will just target your BSB and kill him in the first round of combat, at least a BSB on a cold one has an armour save of 2+

I never take a magic banner on a BSB, without magic items hes just too easy to kill

And yes it applies to mounts, it does say that in the description of the banner
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

It does indeed apply to the second rank and indeed every rank of spearmen.

However, ranks of infantry other than the first can only ever contribute a maximum of one attack to the front, so in real terms, no, it wouldn't give you extra attacks. A unit of 20 spears in four ranks of five would gain just five extra attacks to the front.

Why do I emphasize the distinction? because if your spears got charged in the side, the models in b2b with the enemy there would get +1 attack each.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

no... just no...
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

lostshadow wrote:Yes they get the +1 attack in other ranks, but because they can only make 1 supporting attack they cant use it.
Its the same with witch elves and corsairs, the second ranks etc have more than 1 attack but they can only use 1 attack each from other ranks when fighting to the front. The only way they will benefit from the hydra banner is if engaged in the flank or rear.

Taking the hydra banner is only really worth taking with cold ones, as your enemy will just target your BSB and kill him in the first round of combat, at least a BSB on a cold one has an armour save of 2+

I never take a magic banner on a BSB, without magic items hes just too easy to kill

And yes it applies to mounts, it does say that in the description of the banner

you can get a 1+ as on a cold one, and a quite decend 3+as on foot, combined with buffs from a cauldron it makes a magic banner bsb possible. I personally run one with asf in my corsairs, (together with executioner axe dreadlord) and in my hellebron list, i have a unit of 50 witch elves or 30 executioners, where i can put in hellebron and a bsb with the hydra banner (of course their are no restrictions on hags)