ASF

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

CreativeName
Warrior

ASF

Post by CreativeName »

To what extent do ASF and ASL cancel each other out? Do they still apply on the model if you wish to cast a spell on executioners that results in them receiving ASL or ASF along the lines of Slaanesh or Light lore respectively? Or are they canceled in the way that neither rule actually applies to the model and these spells would affect them accordingly? Thanks.
Fr0
Trademaster

Re: ASF

Post by Fr0 »

ASF+ASL=strike at I order, BrB page 66.
*clarification*
CreativeName
Warrior

Post by CreativeName »

Sure, but my question is BrB Page 66 in the specific part that states "....the two cancel out and neither applies....". Does that mean ASF and ASL don't exist anymore on the model and so new ASF and ASL effects can be applied as if the original sources are "canceled and don't apply"? Thanks.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The question pops up every couple weeks on pretty much any warhammer forum. There is still no 100% correct answer.

The answer that creates the least issues (as in, no other rules suddenly jump in and cause even bigger mess) is:

ASF + ASL counts as having neither, except if you're trying to give them another instance of ASF (Birona's Timewarp) or ASL (Frost Phoenix, Stonehorn). If they are fighting an enemy with ASF, the enemy strikes first and gets to re-roll misses if their I is equal to or higher.

Any other explanation creates more problems.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

CreativeName wrote:Sure, but my question is BrB Page 66 in the specific part that states "....the two cancel out and neither applies....". Does that mean ASF and ASL don't exist anymore on the model and so new ASF and ASL effects can be applied as if the original sources are "canceled and don't apply"? Thanks.

Ah, I think I see what you're asking. Didn't realize this was a frequent question. My interpretation is that literally cancel each other out; meaning you don't strike first, or last - the model strikes in Initiative order, like normal. If both rules are on the model at the same time, they simply negate each other (regardless of source).

ASF + ASL counts as having neither, except if you're trying to give them another instance of ASF (Birona's Timewarp) or ASL (Frost Phoenix, Stonehorn). If they are fighting an enemy with ASF, the enemy strikes first and gets to re-roll misses if their I is equal to or higher.

That makes sense to me.
CreativeName
Warrior

Post by CreativeName »

ok then. thanks
strategem
Cold One Knight

Post by strategem »

I've always played it that ASF +ASF do not stack, same with ASL.
So ASF +ASF +ASL = striking at I
which means while never having a opertunity to get re-rolls and ASF rule it also means that they are immune (so to say) to things like the frost Pheonix and stonehorn.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

That's correct. Special rules don't stack.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16