ASF/ASL question

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Archamedius
Black Guard

ASF/ASL question

Post by Archamedius »

OK, so I thought I understood this, but now I think I am confused. Can someone clarify for me?

Unit with Initiative 6 and ASF fights in close combat against a unit with Initiative 5, ASF and ASL. Who strikes and in what order, and are there any rerolls?
------

- Pain is Temporary, Knowledge is forever.
Danbob87
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: AF question

Post by Danbob87 »

The unit with both ASF and ASL strikes at I order (BRB p66), which in this case is I5, the BRB also says specifically that neither rule applies when a model has both so I6 ASF model gets to go first with rerolls.
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Danbob87 wrote:The unit with both ASF and ASL strikes at I order (BRB p66), which in this case is I5, the BRB also says specifically that neither rule applies when a model has both so I6 ASF model gets to go first with rerolls.

Its not that clear actually, since even ASF doesn't apply for a model with ASF and ASL they still retain their ASF rules in regards to others who also have ASF due to the wording of the rule.

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Danbob87
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Danbob87 »

I thought it was pretty clear, p66 BRB, under the rules for ASL:

"If a model has both this rule and Always Strikes First, the two cancel out and neither applies so use the model's Ininiative."

So, as its written, if a model has both ASL and ASF, ASF no longer applies, so the higher I model with ASF gets rerolls. I had a quick look at the FAQs and couldnt find anything to contradict that and I can't see any other way of reading it. Unless I'm missing something, which is possible.

Edit:spelling
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Danbob87 wrote:I thought it was pretty clear, p66 BRB, under the rules for ASL:

"If a model has both this rule and Always Strikes First, the two cancel out and neither applies so use the model's Ininiative."

So, as its written, if a model has both ASL and ASF, ASF no longer applies, so the higher I model with ASF gets rerolls. I had a quick look at the FAQs and couldnt find anything to contradict that and I can't see any other way of reading it. Unless I'm missing something, which is possible.

Edit:spelling

I agree with you Danbob. Liquid's view comes from the page where both have ASF rule. Then they strike in simultaneous order. BUT if one of those people have ASL too, it negates their ASF and takes that out of the equation.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

The rules are quite simple actually:
ASF + ASL = Normal initiative

As most special rules won't stack (unless specified otherwise), you also get this:
ASF + ASF + ASL = Normal initiative
ASF + ASL + ASL = Normal inititative

This means that WE against Executioners would get to do their ASF and reroll to hit as they have higher I than the Executioners I5.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

+1

The ASF model goes first and gets rerolls.
Truly These are the End Times ...