Character Charging out of Unit

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Olliewood
Shade

Character Charging out of Unit

Post by Olliewood »

I know that when a character charges out of a unit the unit counts as having moved. Does that mean that said unit cannot move at all during remaining moves?
Cheers,
Oli
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: Character Charging out of Unit

Post by Dyvim tvar »

The main question is covered in the second paragraph on page 101 -- the unit can move as normal in the movement phase, but cannot declare a charge of its own.

Also, the rules are not exactly clear on whether a character leaving the unit affects shooting in the next shooting phase. On page 97 it says that "A unit which has been joined by a character in the Movement phase only counts as having moved if it has itself moved, not if a character has moved to join it."

On the other hand, there is this from the official FAQ:

Q: Can characters change position inside a unit as part of a normal move?(p97)
A: Yes, as long as they end up in the rank closest to the front of the unit that has a space in. It is also worth remembering that even if only the character moves the whole unit will count as moving that turn. Having a belligerent officer barge his way through the unit is not conducive to a good round of shooting!

Both the rule and the FAQ refer to specific situations--joining a unit on the one hand, changing position in it on the other. Neither explicitly covers the situation when a character leaves a unit, and the rule about joining and the FAQ can be used to make countering arguments on the issue.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Olliewood
Shade

Post by Olliewood »

Thanks Dyvim - I am not very good at grammar hammer and apparently can see things directly in my face within the rulebook.
Cheers,
Oli
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Note that in case there are multiple characters in a single unit,
as soon as one charges out, no other character can charge anymore,
because they suffer from same limit than the unit they are part of.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

You sure about that Calisson? This came up in my last game, but didnt find any conclusive answer in the BSB as it only adresses that one character charges out, not multiple. But I think you are right, just need to back it up somehow :)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I'm never sure of anything, this is why I always check.
When one character charges out of his unit, the rest of the unit has to abide by p.101:
" his unit will stay still - it is not permitted to declare a charge of its own, though it can move during the Remaining Move phase."
That is undisputedly a movement restriction.
See now p.99, "Movement", last sentence: "if the character [consider here the second character] is subject to any movement restriction, then those restrictions apply to the whole combined unit whilst the character remains part of it, and vice versa."
All characters still belong to the combined unit (as none can move until all charges have been declared and the last charge reaction has been solved).
Therefore, all characters, except the one who has declared a charge first, are forbidden to charge.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Calisson wrote:I'm never sure of anything, this is why I always check.
When one character charges out of his unit, the rest of the unit has to abide by p.101:
" his unit will stay still - it is not permitted to declare a charge of its own, though it can move during the Remaining Move phase."
That is undisputedly a movement restriction.
See now p.99, "Movement", last sentence: "if the character [consider here the second character] is subject to any movement restriction, then those restrictions apply to the whole combined unit whilst the character remains part of it, and vice versa."
All characters still belong to the combined unit (as none can move until all charges have been declared and the last charge reaction has been solved).
Therefore, all characters, except the one who has declared a charge first, are forbidden to charge.

Hmmm that raises some questions.

1. If two characters in a unit both declare charges out of the unit, but one of them causes terror will the unit who they declared a charge against have to check for terror immediatly?
  2. And if they have to take a terror check and failed it, can I opt to go with the other character first to keep the terror causing character inside the unit since he is no longer allowed to charge?

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

1. Only one character can ever declare a charge out of the same unit. The restriction of "no charges" is put on the unit as soon as a character declares one charge.

Also, if charging unit causes terror, the terror check is taken immediately regardless of anything really. As long as it's a possible charge (even if you need box cars to succeed) it still requires a terror check.

2. You misunderstood the restriction. Once a charge is *declared*, nobody else in the same unit can declare another charge.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

Thank you for the reference Calisson :)