Attacking the Cauldron - Casualties

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Aggesut
Slave on the Altar

Attacking the Cauldron - Casualties

Post by Aggesut »

I have been trying to find an answer for this both on the forum and in the BRB without luck - I'm sure it is very simple, now I just need a definite answer to my question:

Scenario: Horde WE's with Cauldron '4x4-Cauldron-3x4' - Charging an opponent horde 10x4. What is the rules of how the opponent can choose his attacks, and how do I remove the casualties? Can the opponent choose to direct 3 ranks of 5 (ie. corner to corner, 4 ranks with spears) on the cauldron if he wish to do so, and if he does and the cauldron takes, say, 6 wounds (just for the sake of the scenario), do I remove the cauldron as casualty, or do I remove casualties from rank/file as I choose?

Can the opponent choose to direct his 15/20 attacks on Hellebron or a hag riding the cauldron and remove her as casualty?

I would love some pages in BRB or SRB to go deeper into it :)

Thanks for your help :)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Attacking the Cauldron - Casualties

Post by Thraundil »

I dont have specific page references for you, but its pretty straightforward since for all intents and purposes, the cauldron is a character.

Cauldron joins units as a character.

A character can be singled out by any models in base-to-base contact with it, and any models that make supporting attacks via those models. So in your example, yes, 5 rank-and-file troops and all their supported attacks may be directed at the cauldron. Of these, 4 models can choose whether to strike the cauldron or regular witch elves, whereas one model must attack the cauldron as the only available target.

Onwards. Models that attack the "cauldron character" can further divide their attacks, because the cauldron is a character mount of the chariot type. This means models in melee can strike at the cauldron, or the character riding it. All models in base contact with the cauldron can direct their hits on the death hag!

If the opponent causes 6 or more unsaved wounds to the cauldron, the cauldron dies. The death hag/hellebron still lives, but is dismounted. If the opponent kills the death hag, she is removed as a casualty but the cauldron is still alive. Your opponents get zero VP until both are dead. You may not choose to let attacks directed at the cauldron hit rank and file (you can do this for shooting attacks only), and any excess wounds caused to the death hag or cauldron are lost, just as like striking any other character.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Aggesut
Slave on the Altar

Post by Aggesut »

Thank you for the breakdown - Pages are not needed, as I'm sure I will be refering to character rules, and as you say, its pretty straightforward.

What you say makes sense, and I appreciate the detailed description, so thank you for explaining it in words even a novice can understand :)
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

that's interesting that no VPs are given until both cauldron and hag are dead - is this written in the BRB anywhere, characters and mounts for example?
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

wroot wrote:that's interesting that no VPs are given until both cauldron and hag are dead - is this written in the BRB anywhere, characters and mounts for example?

Bought as part of the character so must eliminate all parts of a character to claim their points.

Same for all character/mount combinations

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Olliewood
Shade

Post by Olliewood »

Just an add on to the Points denial question. If the Hag is the BSB and she gets killed but the Cauldron survives does the enemy get the banner points? I have seen it played both ways and typically give the points to my opponent....
Cheers,
Oli
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Olliewood wrote:Just an add on to the Points denial question. If the Hag is the BSB and she gets killed but the Cauldron survives does the enemy get the banner points? I have seen it played both ways and typically give the points to my opponent....

Yes, you get the BSB kill points. The death hag is the BSB, whether she is mounted on something or not doesnt matter. This is also the case if a dreadlord on black dragon dies. Dragon survives: no points, but still +100 for the general.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Olliewood
Shade

Post by Olliewood »

Thank you makes perfect sense to me.
Cheers,
Oli