Rank bonus and fleeing

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dreadlegions
Slave (off the Altar)

Rank bonus and fleeing

Post by Dreadlegions »

Is it still a rule that you don't get rank bonus when fleeing (eg for the purposes of Skaven leadership)?

If so, where in the rulebook can I find it?
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Re: Rank bonus and fleeing

Post by Haagrum »

I'm not sure where to find it in the BRB, but since the Skaven army book specifically excludes fleeing units from using their ranks for the purposes of Strength In Numbers, only the most brazen player would try to argue this point. For the same reason, Sisters of Slaughter remove the Ld bonus from Strength In Numbers, as does disrupting a Skaven unit with a flank charge.

Other than Strength In Numbers, "rank bonus" is something which ordinarily only comes up in the context of combat results. Fleeing units can't fight in combat, so their number of ranks is generally irrelevant. Except for attacks which pierce ranks (such as bolt throwers) or spells which cause hits based on the number of ranks in a unit (such as Piercing Bolts of Burning), I'm not sure where else this could come up.

However, since you flee in the same formation that you were in when you broke/Panicked, it stands to reason that you would calculate a unit's number of ranks in the same way - it's just that they are currently fleeing and subject to the applicable rules.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Rank bonus and fleeing

Post by Calisson »

p.25 "fleeing units are assumed to have broken formation".
i.e. no rank.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}